1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung D7000 Owners Thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Curly99, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pazz

pazz Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've been looking at the D7000 as a replacement to a Panasonic I'm not happy with.

Is the D7000 capable of playing high quality MKV's? Even high bitrate? I'd love a TV which would play any MKV I could throw at it?

Does it also allow HDD access via USB?
  2. Toptop1980

Toptop1980 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Mine has played any MKV I have thrown at it so far even SBS 3D blu ray.

How high a bitrate u talking 10mb?

I have played them straight from a USB HDD and also from my ASUS oplay.

I have a USB powered 500gb hdd I use for pvr. I also have a mains powered 1tb hdd that I use to watch dl content.
  3. Toptop1980

Toptop1980 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Samsung rang n said they will be here on the weekend to replace my screen n motherboard. Hopefully it fixes my problems.

Just hope the new screen has less banding n torchlighting then my current one, but most of all I hope the picture quality is much better, I can live with some banding n clouding. As long asy picture is good and not all grainy n blocky like it currently is.
  4. botzos

botzos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where in the manual it says how to clean the screen?
  5. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Im not sure but I dont think my local Costco sells the D7000 but if anyone happens to know or goes to their local Costco could you please advise how much they are selling the UE40D7000 for?

Also if they are offering any additional guarentee's with it like the free 5yr and if it comes with extra glasses, remote etc :) Much obliged! :-D
  6. azkhan

azkhan Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I don’t think it’s in the manual unless I missed it. But what I do is slightly damp the cloth with a bit of water and wipe the screen clean. Once done it looks lovely.:)
  7. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    The instructions are actually on the packet the cloth comes with ;)
  8. azkhan

azkhan Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes you are correct it is on the packet with the cloth. But it advises on how to clean the bezel lol:p
  9. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    :lesson:
  10. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I threw a 13 gig Avatar 3D MKV at mine the other day and it blew me away.

I spoke to richer and JL and both agree that the D7000 has the best PQ on the market today.

JL said Samsung and Philips are the best on the market.

Incidentally. I did a little more research into how to reduce clouding whilst watching wonders of the universe which has lots of black scenes.

I dropped the Black level from Off to Darkest and I was very happy with the result.

Almost no more torching and bleed.

Just tested the theory on the black screen test and it worked.

Can anyone with clouding and bleed try this please.

Backlight to 8
    Brightness 50
    Blacktone darkest
    Gamma 0
    Contrast 97
    White balance off

And let me know what you think ?

For me it has eliminated the bleed and clouds and flashlight effect and has resulted in a most acceptable and agreeable picture.

The only thing is that its a bit darker.

I'd love to know someone elses opinion.
  11. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Maybe put it on Dark and not Darkest and see if that results in a near perfect setting for you :)
  12. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I may well try that tonight.
    What i did notice is that the ladies test image with the brightnes bar of blacks loses definition toward the blackest end of the scale when set to darkest.

I have not had time to play around fully with it but the definition came back as I raised the brightness toward 60 - 70 but then so did a little bleed.

Next plan is to adjust black tone and brightness to see if I can hit the sweet spot.

Let me know if anyone tries the above and likes it.
  13. SteveU30

SteveU30 Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Yes they do sell it but the price is extortionate, roughly £1450 for the 46" with a five yr guarantee. I think they do it as part of a bundle with glasses but it's even more again.

Best bet is a PM from either JL or RS
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Dave08

Dave08 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am in exactly the same situation as you. Everything great apart from some banding on fast pan shots across grass. I've had my TV for a week longer than you and I think the effect has become less obvious. This may be a combination of 3 factors:
    1. I reduced the shadow detail setting to 0 and also reduce backlight from 8 to 6 when watching in a darkish room.
    2. Train myself not to focus on the centre of the screen waiting for the band to appear (i.e. stop tortunring myself)
    3. The TV bedding in a bit and the effect genuinely beginning to reduce (I'm really hoping this is true as it implies things might carry on improving).

For what it's worth, this time a week ago I was ready to send the TV back and take my chances at the Samsung roulette table. However, I've now got to a point where I think the effect is sufficiently minor for me to overlook it (and hope that it continues to reduce in real or perceived prominence).
  15. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Emm £1299 online or cheapest ive seen it is £1239 5yr with 4 glasses.

But the ONLY major advantage and its a huge advantage is that Costco will not question anything and will take it back at any time within the warranty period.

Which means paying £1450 today...Wait a month before warranty runs out and grab a newer model :p
  16. denziloshamen

denziloshamen Member

Ratings:
    +15
    What picture setting are you using (I presume standard?). I found the best setting for me was natural, but still have a bit of clouding (I have that patch where the power cable is and had it on two sets in the exact same place).
  17. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm using the movie setting calibrated to PuntNL's 2nd calibration settings on page 4 or so of the settings and calibration thread.

I find the presets to unreal in terms of colours brightness etc..
  18. denziloshamen

denziloshamen Member

Ratings:
    +15
    The Movie setting is a preset though. The movie setting is a bit too dark and warm for my liking and tends to lower the impact of HD. But we're all different and prefer different settings (some people like it dynamic and out of the box!!). I do tweak the natural setting to reduce the brightness and backlight, but it does block out all of the advanced settings.

I would be interested to see what the Standard setting inputs are to recreate the presets so that we can recreate them but still have access to all picture options.
  19. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Denzil,

Yes the movie is a preset but it allows access all areas in terms of adjustments so is the most adjustable of the presents.

If you do a calibration then it gives access to the settings unlike natural mode.

I did use natural last night and also adjusted the BL/Contrast etc and the picture was good but still saw a little clouding.

Still quite confused about all this.

I went on the CNET forum and now have the attention of a samsung tech

CNET Samsung forum

One minute I feel like the TV is brill, the next I'm seeing issues.

This is like self torture sometimes !
  20. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    I am a bit confused on crampton & moore website the 40inch D7000 is £879 and the 46inch is £1239! Why such a huge price difference for an extra 6inches? :-( at best should be at least £200 more I havent seen any retailers putting their prices down and got a feeling its only gonna come down when I get mine >.<
  21. PhilRose

PhilRose Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Had this TV since April and my only main issue is a tiny bit of banding and small amount of clouding near the power supply. I'm pretty damn happy especially if you had seen how bad my UE40C7000 was.

Great tv one of THE best on the market.
  22. SteveU30

SteveU30 Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Supply and demand, the 40" is the most popular size in households I'd say so they will have more of them to shift hence the cheaper price.
  23. Toptop1980

Toptop1980 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My screen is getting replaced tomorz. Hopefully that fixes it. If not getting something else I think.
  24. jbenmore

jbenmore Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Does anyone know of the bect place to price match JL at the moment please?

Thanks

J
  25. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
  26. ShortNick

ShortNick Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My 46D7000 has now been taken away for its second repair. Hopefully they will test it properly before giving it back. If the problems are still the same (clouding, torchlighting and vertical banding) it is going back to the shop and I will not be buying any more Samsung products. If their quality control on a £1300 Tv is this shoddy it says a lot about the company.
  27. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Like any company Samsung have had their ups and downs, Samsung are great innovators of great products and technology and no company has guarenteed 100% perfect products.

Also you may want to speak directly to Samsung about getting a refund, as they are processing mine with the D6530 and I will be getting the D7000 :thumbsup:
  28. Toptop1980

Toptop1980 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I too will be taking mine back n getting a refund if it's not fixed today when they come out to replace it.

I too think that the price we pay for these sets that they should be of better quality. My old sharp aquos was way better then my d7000. The old lg we have in my daughters toy room that is only 1080i and at least 5-6 years old is a much much better picture then my so called great picture quality d7000.

If my old CRT would fit I would be watching that instead of the d7000 as its of similar quality picture. And to have the Samsung tech tell me that the blacks are meant to look grey and have some digital noise in it. And that the picture is meant to look that way, was just shocking.
  29. ShortNick

ShortNick Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, I will. Hope you get a good 7000, they are out there!:)
  30. Toptop1980

Toptop1980 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Tech just left.

Verdict banding is almost non existant bleeding is still there but not as much in the one spot, seems to be all over. The fuzziness is alot better n almost completly gone from the dark knight blu ray I'm guessing the graininess I now see is how it's meant to look.

Will give it a week or do n see how it goes.

I know the tech was rough while replacing it, I didn't get a new panel although it's newer then mine. Mine was a June 11 this new one is oct 11.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.