1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung D7000 / D8000 - Settings & Calibration thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PuntNL, Apr 5, 2011.

1. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    no probs if you have sky lol.....

time to spend more money....

Just for a sanity check - put an SD channel on and see if you can select screen fit ?
  2. rob2278

rob2278 Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I only have Sky connected to it, don't have an aerial for Freeview:(
  3. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    that will explain it all. If you did then screen fit might not be an option.

Time for a sat dish and receiver for me.

Hmmm.....ET9200 HD Twin Tuner Linux based sounds tasty.
  4. SteveU30

SteveU30 Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    I'm glad you went first, I was gonna ask if he's blinked at all in those 3 days!!!! ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. daveb975

daveb975 Active Member

Ratings:
    +159
    It depends how you are watching it. My default backlight setting for TV watching is 8, but I have to turn it down to 3 or 4 if I am watching a film in absolute pitch black.

I find the backlight on these TVs very bright. I can't imagine why anyone would use above 12, but everyone is different.
  6. Iain Craig

Iain Craig Member

Ratings:
    +6
    haha what?
  7. bikie1280

bikie1280 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me as i am fit to tear my hair out:suicide:. I am trying to view files that are on my Galaxy phone on my D7000 Tv via allshare but I can't get it to work. I have ticked all the options in both the Phone and the TV to allow them to 'see' each other but it still won't work!
    Any advice appreciated:lease:

Also I am trying to use my phone as a Remote control for the TV via the downloaded app ' Samsung Remote'

However when I run the app i get the following message

' Both your smartphone and the TV should be connected to the same access point, please check your network settings'

However I have only one wireless router in my house and both the phone and the TV are accessing the internet via this router and when you go into the menu of both the phone and the TV the access point number is the same for both.

Again any help would be very much appreciated:lease:
  8. SteveU30

SteveU30 Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    What security type is the router set to? If its WEP then I would recommend switching to WPA as Samsung TVs don't get on well with WEP
  9. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Is there particular settings I should go with? Various people have posted different settings.

In previous TV settings threads on here there would be a post at the start that was generally seen as the best settings
  10. rob2278

rob2278 Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Go with what you like the best. I constantly chop & change settings on my D8000, last night I selected "Dynamic" but reduced the standard settings.
  11. Wooks

Wooks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    3d problems?
    On my second D7000 (46) and this set appears to be a keeper, virtually no torching / bleeding or banding issues and PQ fantastic (and yes there are times it feels like my retinas are burning with the quality)!

One issue I have is the 3d appears to ghost more than on the first model using a source of 3d bluerays and ps3.
    I am using calibartions from this thread, although I prefer the standard setting as a base, with all processing off bar 'clear' on motion handling. I have experimented with auto and manual 3d modes without resolving the issue.
    I'm a bit of an amatuer on these things so any advice would be really appreciated.
  12. richest

richest Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I still get some judder, not a lot, but its there. I have tried loads of setting changes, but none of them fix the issue fully. I have a 55d7000.
  13. rad121

rad121 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have had the same prob with the Samsung Remote. It worked at first but then it stopped, and gave the same message you are getting. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled - still the same. I think it's actually a prob wit the app. The way I sorted it was to re-input the IP address of the TV. You can also install another app called SammyGo which is actually a bit better as it gives you a replica of the actual remote. Download that and it should work - but it will also give you the IP address of the host TV (which is probably the same as your router, but not too sure). Put that in and you should be OK. :thumbsup:
  14. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I have a file of peoples settings now and am working through them till I find the best for my panel.

As Rob said - use the ones you like the most.

I too am now messing with standard with tweaks to blacktone contrast and backlight...
  15. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    My d7000 was an ex display and i found crosstalk an issue on certain sources but turned out it was the 3d clarity option had been changed i think??.. i moved it back down again and now it is perfect.
  16. rob2278

rob2278 Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Tweaked down Dynamic is still my proffered settings :cool:
  17. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Might have a play with those then.

I tend to use dynamic for 3D though.
  18. blakey0

blakey0 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I'm currently using Natural with backlight on 12 and Sharpness on 25.

Really nice visual pop on HD content.

I'm actually finding Movie mode to be way too soft and muted so a little surprised that professional calibrators use this as the basis for their tweaks.
  19. taz23

taz23 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    It's because you can tweak more on Movies setting, you'll find a lot of picture options greyed out in natural & dynamic.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. PCthug

PCthug Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,016
    I didnt know that myself and wondered why some where greyed out (like 10p settings).
    I usually calibrate mine using the standard settings, but may give it another go using movie mode.
  21. kernowkarmann

kernowkarmann New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know that either. I have tweaked movie quite a lot and love the picture but then sometimes I put it on standard and think that looks better!

If you are not getting a professional in to calibrate and are therefore not changing the greyed out areas then is it still worth using movie?

Also does anyone know if you can get it to change the screen size when using SKY HD box? I have it on screen fit for the HD picture but would like it to swap to 16:9 for the SD broadcasts without having to do it manually.

Only got the TV 2 days ago, love it!
  22. kernowkarmann

kernowkarmann New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also....

I saw something about this while looking at threads... When I put SKY 3D on, the TV doesn't switch automatically to 3D mode even though autoswitching is on. Anyone know how to sort this out? and...

While watching the cricket on SKY HD i'm getting a bit of interference on the fast moving shots (is this banding/ghosting?), it seems to me that everyone says turn LED motion plus off, surely this should be on to stop this? also what are the best settings for blur/judder or should i set it to clear?

hope someone can help!

thanks
  23. SteveU30

SteveU30 Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    I don't have Sky but my understanding is that all Sky 3D broadcasts are SBS (Side by Side) format which isn't proper 3D (broadly speaking), as such the TV does not realise it needs to switch mode. The quickest way to switch mode in this case is to simply press the 3D button on the TV remote and select SBS mode (the icon with 2 people side by side).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. kernowkarmann

kernowkarmann New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ta, I thought that might be the case....

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction for the best settingds for watching sport i'll be extremely grateful! want the F1 to look as good as possible!
  25. Iain Craig

Iain Craig Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The man is correct, press the 3D button and select it few seconds later boom its on 3D mode.
  26. neilrmason

neilrmason Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning All
    Have had my D7000 for a week now and have come up with some settings using this very helpful and informative thread.
    They work well for me, and perhaps more importantly for the wife.

I find the best test for these things is to leave the room for a while, leaving the TV switched on of course, then come back in and check the picture again. In that way it clears any image memory that might impact the testing process. If the settings are poor, then you will see it straight away:eek:.

I have virgin media as the source feed

I have amended Movie as follows
    Backlight 12
    Contrast 98
    Brightness 50
    sharpness 85
    Colour 53
    Tint 50/50
    Screen Position (picture size) Screen fit

Advanced settings
    Black tone off
    Dynamic contrast off
    Gamma 0
    Expert pattern off
    RGB only mode off
    Colour space auto
    White balance left as default settings
    10p white balance off
    flesh tone 0
    edge enhancement off
    motion lighting off
    xvYCC off
    LED motion plus off

just enjoying my recorded version of last night's world superbike race on Eurosport HD. What a great way to start the day...

have a good one

Neil
  27. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Do you not find with sharpness set so high that you get alot of noise on screen? i personally run sharpness at 0 and find the image is alot nicer and also this hugely improves motion handling..
  28. chris k

chris k Member

Ratings:
    +13
    hi all,
    can someone please help, when using the tv's built in media player, streaming media (MKV film/movie)from my readynas vis dlna, or pluging in a sandisk 16gb SanDisk Ultra USB flash drive, or even playing an 3mb mp3 song, the sound skips/drops out, and sometimes the vision. Can someone pls help. ta
  29. neilrmason

neilrmason Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "Do you not find with sharpness set so high that you get alot of noise on screen? i personally run sharpness at 0 and find the image is alot nicer and also this hugely improves motion handling."

Not noticed anything untoward
    I see what you mean as I think Samsung had movie with low sharpness in the default settings.
    I will ponder the thought as I vary what I watch this evening
    thanks
    Neil
  30. rad121

rad121 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been messing around with the motion plus settings at the weekend, and I have to say the pic quality is better in my opinion with it on, and set to smooth. That said, you start to get the judder effect. Anyine know, apart from putting it in 'clear' mode, what to set judder and the other one to?