Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I was wondering if somebody could help me out here, i have the following kit

UE46D6530 Samsung TV
Sony STR-DN1000 AV Reciever
Sky HD
PS3

The PS3 and Sky run through the reciever but i have just read the reciever does not support 3D pass through does that mean i wont be able to play 3D films etc through the ps3 and sky?

Will i need to run them directly into the TV?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Hmm.

I think if you are watching movies compressed into a 1080p format e.g. SBS then you should be ok - the receiver won't know the difference. 3D Bluray may be different though.

AFAIK Sky use SBS.

Not tried it so can't be sure !

Hmm.

I think if you are watching movies compressed into a 1080p format e.g. SBS then you should be ok - the receiver won't know the difference. 3D Bluray may be different though.

AFAIK Sky use SBS.

Not tried it so can't be sure !

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what is the difference between 3d blu-ray and SBS?

I have seen alot of talk regarding half SBS and Full SBS, what is todays Wimbledon final being shown in?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all.

I have just got the above and overall, very impressed. However, I do agree with gmc above, the tuner is very sensitive. I can not get ITV1, 2 ch 4 and 5 and various others. Previously I had a £20 and old set top box and had no issues with that at all. It would receive all the minor channels too. Nothing in the set up has changed, other than the TV.:( It is disappointing.

I do have a question about the SMART hub. Upon opening and installing the SMART up did some updates and installed 13 new apps. However later that day, in the evening, some that were installed, incl Samsung imaging app, were uninstalled in another update. now do I have control over this. I accept there are some 3rd party updates that may come and go, but I would assume it wanted the Samsung imaging app on there as part of a samsung package.

I do have a question about the SMART hub. Upon opening and installing the SMART up did some updates and installed 13 new apps. However later that day, in the evening, some that were installed, incl Samsung imaging app, were uninstalled in another update. now do I have control over this. I accept there are some 3rd party updates that may come and go, but I would assume it wanted the Samsung imaging app on there as part of a samsung package.

Currently it seems that smarthub has a bit of a mind of it's own...
IMO this is a software defect that needs to be fixed by samsung.
See these threads:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/3d-tv-technology/1450925-samsung-smart-hub.html

and

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1476506-samsung-smart-hub-ue40d6530-resets-apps-when-started.html

From a post it appears that the 1013 firmware may fix this (on D8000 at least)...

This is the problem with having a 'smart' tv that is always online - Samsung will no doubt continue to tinker from afar ....this would not be so bad but communications is not Samsung's strength putting it politely

Thanks James. Does the TV let me know when there is a firmware upgrade available?

Been following this thread with interest over the passed few weeks. Finally bought a 46'' 6530 just over a week ago from Richer Sounds..
Was really pleased with it over the first week, picture looked great on bluray/sky HD.. even SD stuff looks excellent (some channels aside)
After reading the thread I was dreading the issues! I checked out the corners for bleeding, but was happy on that front to be honest, looked pretty good. I noticed some slight vertical banding when watching cricket and the camera panned across the ground, but nothing too major.

My main gripe is the horizontal banding that only became apparent over the passed couple of nights, 2 bands of an inch wide or more just below half way on the screen... notice it most when camera pans up, on darker scenes. Now I noticed it im starting to wonder whether I can live with it...

Is it something that's likely to get worse? its funny that I ddnt notice it the first week - and trust me.. i've been looking for faults!
I've tried pausing on a scene when the banding looks bad and then tinkering with the settings to see if i can negate it somewhat...

I guess the TV isnt going anywhere, so i'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks and see if it annoys me much.
Aside from that, I love it, its a beautiful tv. Just a shame it seems its hard to get a perfect one.

Thanks James. Does the TV let me know when there is a firmware upgrade available?

Not sure... there is a menu option to upgrade f/w with three options - check online, upgrade via USB, or over the air.
Everytime I checked online via the TV it did not find any new f/w, even though there was an update available to download from the web for USB upgrade.

(here:
Samsung support download page for UE40D6530WK

Last edited:
Been following this thread with interest over the passed few weeks. Finally bought a 46'' 6530 just over a week ago from Richer Sounds..
Was really pleased with it over the first week, picture looked great on bluray/sky HD.. even SD stuff looks excellent (some channels aside)
After reading the thread I was dreading the issues! I checked out the corners for bleeding, but was happy on that front to be honest, looked pretty good. I noticed some slight vertical banding when watching cricket and the camera panned across the ground, but nothing too major.

My main gripe is the horizontal banding that only became apparent over the passed couple of nights, 2 bands of an inch wide or more just below half way on the screen... notice it most when camera pans up, on darker scenes. Now I noticed it im starting to wonder whether I can live with it...

Is it something that's likely to get worse? its funny that I ddnt notice it the first week - and trust me.. i've been looking for faults!
I've tried pausing on a scene when the banding looks bad and then tinkering with the settings to see if i can negate it somewhat...

I guess the TV isnt going anywhere, so i'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks and see if it annoys me much.
Aside from that, I love it, its a beautiful tv. Just a shame it seems its hard to get a perfect one.

Ive had 2 of these now both with the banding problem you mention, the first one had a 3 inch band through the centre and another about 2 inches near the top.
The second one was perfect when i recieved it then after about 3 days the same thing started but with thinner bands all across the screen which got worse everyday.
It has been returned today and i wont be trying another, however i did love this tv apart from the fault.
I would definately keep an eye on it if i were you

Well mine was pretty bad for unevenness on left side (see earlier pics in this thread).

It's a brilliant TV and beautiful too.. but I rather than risk another unacceptable sample .. and in fairness to the manufacturer/retailer ( I don't want to keep returning TVs for picture issues... )...I have asked for a refund and plan to go for a "non-edge lit" LCD or plasma as a replacement.

The answer to your question my friend is - YES :thumbsup:

:smashin:

I've already got the TV and posted a few pages back that it works with DTS audio. I was pleasantly surprised as the information I'd received before hand suggested that it didn't support DTS through the TV speakers.

Seems to do a good job playing movies, but the interface isn't great if you compare it to the likes of XBMC. It plays half-sbs 3D movies great, but doesn't play full-sbs. Also, for some reason it doesn't like playing movies from my NAS - the same files that play fine via an external drive. I think for some reason there is a more limited format support playing via DNLA. Most of my video files are MKVs.

Does the TV let me know when there is a firmware upgrade available?

It will tell you when an upgrade is available. For some reason though Samsung don't have the latest version (1012) available for direct update, just version 1011.

For 1012 you need to download from the Samsung website and use a USB stick.

:smashin:

I've already got the TV and posted a few pages back that it works with DTS audio. I was pleasantly surprised as the information I'd received before hand suggested that it didn't support DTS through the TV speakers.

Seems to do a good job playing movies, but the interface isn't great if you compare it to the likes of XBMC. It plays half-sbs 3D movies great, but doesn't play full-sbs. Also, for some reason it doesn't like playing movies from my NAS - the same files that play fine via an external drive. I think for some reason there is a more limited format support playing via DNLA. Most of my video files are MKVs.

Sorry, did not have time to read the whole thread.

You probably already know, but it will also play m2ts files from usb. You just change the .m2ts to .mp4 or.mkv

I'm getting the 32" for my son's bedroom after having seen the picture at a friends house. "Electrical discount UK" have it on offer with a 3D Blu Ray player & 2 pairs of glasses for £595 delivered.
I have a VT30 in the sitting room, but am seriously thinking of swapping it for a 55" D6530.

Hope your still enjoying yours.

Last edited:
Just got the 40D6530 - the picture looks great, however I do notice on close-up that objects in the picture have a kind-of very thin shadow which is not noticeable really from a viewing position.

? is this likely to be a fault, any ideas?

Hi people,
I bought the 46D6530 version and set it up and found our certain things just wouldn't work as I hoped them to. That's why I need your help.

I have a sony receiver (no ARC and no 3D pass-through). Everything use to connect to the receiver and it would wake up the TV, BD player PS3-Slim etc (or shut them all down). ATM I cannot connect any of the devices to the receiver as it will not pass the 3d.

Would like 3D from PS3 and 3D Blu-Ray as well as multi-chan. audio. I would like this to happen same as before; switch on BD player, receiver and TV switches on, TV switches the sound to receiver and shuts up, switch receiver off sound switches to TV. Switch TV off receiver and blu-ray switches off. Same or similar functionality as above from PS3. SKY is not that important as it doesn't understand HDMI connect commands.

With my current setup is it possible?

Thanks

I have been looking around on all the websites and I have found a few different versions of the D6500.
Could somebody please explain the difference between the D6530 and the D6500ZF?
To me the D6500ZF looks much thinner in bezel size compared to the 6530

link to the D6530:
Samsung UE40D6530 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

link to the D6500ZF: Samsung buy at the cheapest price, best deals, online shop - Ireland

Also on a side note does anybody know if the Samsung D7050 is coming to Ireland? this TV has the square stand and I would be more than happy to fork out the extra to get the even thinner bezel and not have to look at the ugly chicken foot base it would normally come with.

Samsung D7050: 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) LED 7050 Series TV | Samsung UN55D7050

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ive had 2 of these now both with the banding problem you mention, the first one had a 3 inch band through the centre and another about 2 inches near the top.

3rd update from me on the ue32d6510...

* major banding doesn't seem to have appeared, but the whole way across the top and bottom, there's a strip about 5mm high that is darker than the rest of the screen.

* the gamma on this screen is really strange, it seems to crush blacks completely. It seems very dependent on the scene, and the ambient light. I've twiddled and reset the options, and tried some of the recommended settings from here, but it's no good :(

* If you are not facing the screen directly - ie looking at it at an angle - the red channel seems to fade. This is most noticeable in skin tones. I'm not talking about looking at it from 70 or 80 degrees, as little as 20 degrees or so makes it apparent.

I'm really in two minds about this.. should I just learn to love the TV? Is there any LCD or LED out there that deosn't have these issues?

gmccloskey - if you post pics then we would be able to advise....

Quick question guys (as I'm only up to page 8 on this thread)...

I'm looking like plumping for this set over the LG47W550T and the Pana46GT30.

A primary concern of mine about any new set I buy is how the football looks on it.

I'm going to be feeding a V+ box to the set (though I haven't quite convinced myself to get the Sky Sports in HD on it but I'll have ESPN in HD)

When I was in Richer Sounds, the guy was showing me this tele (but was recommending the LG - though mainly for the passive 3D side of things - but also due to it coping with fast action better) beside a normal LCD set.

On general pictures this set was amazing in comparison but it looked "noisy" compared with the set beside it during a busy / fast moving scene.

Anyone found that an problem at all and would it be the same for the football as it was on the Star Trek BR they were showing in Richer Sounds? Or, is it less likely to be a problem on the football as while the action moves fairly quckly the screen likely isn't as busy as it was with lazers going off and ships flying around on the Star Trek BR.

I'm also thinking that in it's own environment, and not beside another set that may be better on that single one issue, it's maybe something I'll likley not notice anyway...

Thoughts please...:smashin:

My set, taken for repair on 27th June, is in bullpoop land and is, "waiting on a part".:rolleyes:

I will stay the course and see if they can manage to get me one without bad uniformity/clouding/bleed.

Forever a loan (set) -crappy Philips 37" (1280x768 yuck)

Last edited:
I have been browsing through this thread on and off for a few days now as I am about to receive a 6530. The picture in the shop looked really good and the various reviews are also extremely positive. However after having read this thread I am beginning to wonder whether I have made a terrible error and should I have gone for the panasonic DT30 which was my next favourite TV. Are any of you happy with this tv?

Last edited:
...Are any of you happy with this tv?

The level of happiness in my, and seemingly a lot of other cases, has mainly been determined by the quality control and/or treatment of these sets before they get to us.

Yes they are fantastic TVs aside from the possibility of getting a noticeably defective one (and what TV DOESN'T seem to have this problem nowadays :rolleyes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom