1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung C530 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by solpap, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garku

garku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please clarify the issue regaring input lag? I'm very interested in the 32 inch model of this TV for watching .mkvs without a PC attached and to use it for gaming via xbox360/ps3. Now I read some reviews of other C series samsung tvs and there are lots of complaints by gamers regarding the input lag... Is this a problem for the c530? thanks
  2. Hansom

Hansom Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, i am the VERY HAPPY NEW owner of a LE40C530 (since 4 days) and i believe that i have a similar problem than yours: my mkv files doesn't play in my set, and i am guessing that is because of the sound encoding.
    Can you please tell me which program are you using for to convert the sound encoder in your mkv files?

Thanks in advance...!!
  3. tjcBS5

tjcBS5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've recently brought a 46" C530 in the UK, and I'm very pleased with it.
    There is just one thing that is puzzling me.
    I can't get any digital text to work using the built-in freeview. Can anyone confirm that it works on theirs?
    Subtitles work. But text button doesn't, and no red-button features.

Thanks....
  4. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I too own an LE40C530 since a few days ago. Looks quite nice but my only complain is that the colors are not as nice and soothing as the ones I get from my Toshiba LCD. I have tried the 4 different modes and the dynamic and natural seem the best ones for colors. But still need tweaking.

Has anyone played with the settings yet?
  5. Hansom

Hansom Member

Ratings:
    +1
  6. tesna

tesna Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I hate dynamic and natural preset, it hurts my eyes. I use movie preset and adjust it from there using blue only mode and AVS-HD calibration pattern.

My setting as far I'm remember (currently at work)
    Backlight: 8 (readjust based on room's lightning condition)
    Brightness: 45
    Contrast: 95
    Colour: 48
    Tint: R52/G48 (I think)
    Gamma: +1
    Colour Space: Auto
    Dynamic Contrast: off
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. aaedwards

aaedwards Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all i have just got the LE40C530 and first impressions are excellent, I have been looking for the sticker on the right hand side to see what Panel i have but there isnt one.
  8. morena

morena Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Someone played with the settings on my tv and now it "speaks" the movies ... (I guess it's for blind people: it says " a girl with a red jumper entered the room...")

How can I make it back to normal ?????
  9. flana

flana Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi need help with HDMI input from an Imac, 20 ", Mac see's TV but TV won't display mac input. Have it on HDMI 1 as recommended, installed latest FW on both TV and Mac, no luck.
    Was onto Samsung service eng, he's drawing a blank at the moment.
  10. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I should add a quick review...

I received my LE32C530 on Friday, first impressions are very positive. The TV itself looks like a good quality product, very nice minimalist design although it could do without the transparent bit at the bottom of the frame. The back of the TV is metal, unusually and the TV itself is reasonably slim. The stand is quite solid and heavy.

Looking in the back of the TV (on a label visible through the vents) I see that I have a A06 panel (AU Optronics I believe). Picture quality is good, better than the LG 32LH3000 I had (and returned for various reasons) mainly improved viewing angles and less visible motion blur (but some still visible but acceptable to me).

Black levels are good but only really within the viewing sweet spot, but the sweet spot seems larger than on the LG. Outside the sweet spot the blacks become grey but not as bad or as light as the LG and only really visible in a dark room.

I did notice that a completely black screen is not uniform on my set, with a lighter patch in the upper right of the screen, I'm not sure if this is an issue for me yet, it's only ever visible on a black screen (or nearly all black) in a dark room and may just be a minor defect on my TV. A bit annoying though but not obvious most of the time. Not sure if it's worth getting a replacement or the chances of a replacement being any better (or getting an inferior panel instead!)

The screen itself is sort of half way between matte and gloss, semi reflective but not too bad and quite acceptable to me (nowhere near as bad as laptop screens nowadays).

Samsung have reworked their onscreen interface cosmetically since the B550, more pleasing and professional although not as good as LG's. Lots of options for tweaking the picture, I had to fiddle around to get a good picture from my PC (ok it's not obvious that you have to set the appropriate name for the HDMI socket, it would be nice to plug and play which the LG seemed to do, apart from having to manually select "just scan" for the screen aspect).

It's not obvious what "game" mode does apart from prevent you from changing settings. I assume it turns off a lot of processing to improve input lag, or adds some overdrive to reduce motion blur? The manual wasn't very helpful in that regard. Input lag wasn't obvious to me playing the 360 through HDMI with the source name set to PC, or even PC with GAME mode activated or with the source set to GAME.

Sound quality is decent for a TV with down-firing speakers and again better than the 32LH3000, still lacking bass as expected. Audio quality through the headphones is ok but there is some faint hiss in the background but not too distracting (the LG didn't have any noticeable headphone hiss but did have some speaker hiss instead!)

The remote is pretty decent with a plastic direction pad rather than rubber which makes it easier to navigate the menus. Nicely laid out and not too big.

Freeview reception is ok, decent interface and reasonably responsive to navigate. Channel list is quick to scroll through. The Guide could be improved visually, the LG's guide was more readable and appeared more professional.

I plugged in a 500gb external hard drive into the USB port (formatted to NTFS) and was able to play back most videos I tried including a 1080p mkv and some 720p mkvs as well as some regular avis (except an HD WMV, had picture but no sound, not sure if that one used DTS). Quite impressed by how well it worked.

All in all very pleased with my purchase (aside from the uniformity problem) better than the 32LH3000 and on a par with (or a bit better than) a Samsung LE32B550 I have compared it to. Although not perfect, for the price (I got it for £332) it is an excellent piece of kit. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap full HD TV.

Regarding the uniformity problem, is it worth getting a replacement? Is this problem common enough to not make it worth switching?
  11. akachris1

akachris1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just bougt a LE40C530 online for €499.95 (£410) + €25 for delivery.
    Should arrive by Wednesday/Thursday.

Can't wait as the tv its replacing is a pretty basic 3 year old Mirai 32" set.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for posting picture settings for various inputs and such, I've a feeling I'll be visiting this thread alot in the next few days :D

PS: This may sound a bit daft, but will the set also play video files from a USB flash drive?
    Thanks again.
  12. gazthelad

gazthelad Member

Ratings:
    +2
    yes they do. i've tried movies from my mobile to usb :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. akachris1

akachris1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers gazthelad
  14. Dosser2

Dosser2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie here. So hello to all.

I've also found this thread - and the AVForums boards in general - very useful myself so a few words about my experiences thus far with the LE40C530 in case it helps anyone else. This is the first TV I've bought in several years so forgive my ignorance in the field comes across too much in my analysis.

Had been happy enough with my 6 or 7 old beast of a 28" Matsui which gave in my eyes at least a very acceptable picture from my Sky+ box. Having upgraded to an HD box however I thought it time to upgrade the tv also.

After much looking around, I settled on the Samsung LE40C530 which fitted the budget, size limitations and appeared to have sufficient connectivity to take me forward for the next few years.

Having had a few days now to get to grips with it, I'm really happy with my purchase.

The Plug and Play setup was straight forward and it was easy to connect up my HD box and Home Theatre kit. Within minutes I was marvelling at watching a World Cup game on HD on a decent sized screen and acting like a kid on Christmas Day.

Once the excitement settled down a bit and I looked at things more rationally I found myself a tad underwhelmed at the quality of image from some non-HD channels and the picture whilst watching one World Cup game on ITV4 was actually quite concerning.

I had already began doing some research online on what might be the optimum settings for the TV and did the same to try to get some tips on what might improve the SD picture quality. Having taken some advice from various websites in terms of connections and settings I'm pretty chuffed at where I am now.

Whilst my perception remains that the SD quality seems a shade off the standard as I recall it back on the old Matsui there is every chance that it is just my perception and I'm simply now being spoiled by the sharpness and clarity of the HD channels I'm viewing.

My primary viewing on a TV is sports related and I'm absolutely loving watching the football in HD on a big step up in screen size. This model has met my requirements and expectations and I'm pretty happy with it indeed.
  15. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Just a heads up for everyone. I found some settings kindly posted by someone in a review on Amazon. The person says that they got the settings from an AV calibration site and they are originally for the B550 model. However I have applied them to my C530 and they seem to work pretty good. I am quite satisfied with the picture quality so far.

Picture Mode : Movie

Picture Settings
    Backlight : 4
    Contrast : 95
    Brightness : 46
    Sharpness : 0
    Color : 45
    Tint : G50/R50

Advanced Settings
    Black Tone : Off
    Dynamic Contrast : Off
    Gamma : -2
    Color Space : Auto
    White Balance : Factory Default
    Fleshtone : 0
    Edge Enhancement : Off

Picture Options
    Color Tone : Warm 2
    Size : 16:9
    Digital NR : Off
    HDMI Black Level : Low
    Film Mode : Auto 1
    Blue Only Mode : Off
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. akachris1

akachris1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that PPSS,

Does anyone know what the actual Contast ratio of the LE40C530 is?
    All it says on the website is High Contrast.
  17. putuco

putuco Member

Ratings:
    +3
    edit: 80000:1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  18. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S Member

Ratings:
    +62
  19. drewzilla

drewzilla Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well i dont have one of these tv's myself (hopefully pick one up soon) but im guessing you just whack the update that u downloaded onto a usb drive and stick it in ur tv. There should be a option somehwhere to update it in the menu im guessing.

Im thinking off picking one of these up soon, any major drawbacks with getting this samsung over say a pannasonic? Are the screens on panny's really that good? Only gonna use it for mainly SD, wii but want to 'future proof it cos i will be looking at getting a blu-ray/freeview hd in the future.

Cheers
  20. Hansom

Hansom Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Someone pressed the AD (Audio Description) in your remote. Press it again and voila....!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. jamez2010

jamez2010 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have the LE37C530F1WXXU version of this tv, what does the 'F1WXXU' mean?
  22. putuco

putuco Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Any idea where I can find last firmware for LN40C350? It is the american version, there is no download in the Samsung.com sites...
  23. angrybb

angrybb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I have le40c530 and one problem.
    When i power on, TV goes straight to DVD(conected to scart) and what i want is to go straight to analog tv (analog cabel, conected to antena port).
    It doesen't matter if the dvd is powered on or off before i power on tv neither if i press standby button or number button on tv remote when powering on the tv.
    Is there option for setting default input?
    Thanks!
  24. drewzilla

drewzilla Member

Ratings:
    +1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. putuco

putuco Member

Ratings:
    +3
  26. drewzilla

drewzilla Member

Ratings:
    +1
    oopsie... Wont they be the same tho? arent they just marketed under different model names for different regions?
  27. putuco

putuco Member

Ratings:
    +3
    At least they have different refresh rates. Europe is 50Hz and American is 60Hz...
  28. CrankyMofo

CrankyMofo Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello everyone. Just got myself 32C530. The picture quality's great. Blacks are black, colors are vibrant and sure do pop. Mkv playback is simply amazing, no need to buy wdtv live. The sounds okay I guess. (Also I've got SQ panel. Woot!!)
    Games on xbox look amazing (before that I had an lcd monitor lol). Haven't noticed any lag nor ghosting. And I've played modern warfare 2, bad company 2.
    Overall I'm pretty impressed by the quality at such a low price and I'm a Happy user indeed.

However since it's my first hdtv, I'd like to know - is it okay for it to get quite warm at the top and near the connections on the rear?
  29. pwlewisuk

pwlewisuk Member

Ratings:
    +2
    What mode do you use on your C530 for thexbox please and have you left the settings on default or tweaked any.
  30. CrankyMofo

CrankyMofo Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm using movie mode, all I did was lowered the backlight to 4-5. No tweaking whatsoever. By the way does your tv gets warm at the top?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.