1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung BD-P1580 won't eject/open ?!?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by mk-donald, May 23, 2010.

1. mk-donald

mk-donald Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Guyz

Just got a couple of new Samsung Blu-ray BD-P1580 players as a prize, one for me and one for folks.

Father-in-law has just rung to say he'd set it up and got good HDMI picture but first disc he put in won't play and won't eject...

Turns out he used a DIY disc, ie an old DVD+RW recording he hadn't got around to playing. The symptom is the player starts up and displays the disc title menu but won't go beyond there, and when eject pressed the front-display SAYS "Open" but doesn't actually open. Same symptoms after a power off.

Have Googled the topic and best I can find is one person with a similar symptom a year back but no resolution; and a report that although no mention of no DVD+RW support at the start of the guidebook or on quick-reference guide, it IS mentioned on page 31 of the manual (as if a 84 year old would study page 1 let alone page 31 for the subtlety of "-" versus "+").

I would presume the player is on v2.05 firmware as mine was, rather than latest v2.07.

Anyone found how to persuade a BD-P1580 to eject an "unwanted/unsupported" disc ????

Clearly otherwise it's going back as not of merchantable quality as a DVD player can't KIDNAP the first disc it doesn't want to play, but there should be a way to resolve this without a sledgehammer. I'm obviously 100% loathe to try replicating this on my player for the obvious reason (and it is just updating itself to v2.07).

Thanks in advance for any help.

MKD
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. mk-donald

mk-donald Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Wow - managed to solve it with a bit of obvious thinking.

With player off, using the front-panel touch buttons...
    1) press on
    2) immediately press the eject button once
    3) see the word OPEN and noise and DVD+RW disc ejected :thumbsup:
    4) breathe sigh of relief.

Have managed to reproduce the problem on my v2.07 player.
    Same symptoms & same solution = phew.

Thanks for anyone who took the time to read/think about it - hopefully a tip there for future for anyone else stuck.

MKD
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. mk-donald

mk-donald Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Yikes a friend, also with a Samsung BD, found an even better solution:

With player off and the kidnapped unplayable DVD+RW inside...
    1) press the eject button (hear two beeps instead of usual one)
    2) see the word OPEN and noise and DVD+RW disc ejected :thumbsup:

Crikey - sometimes the very simplest/obvious solutions are definitely the most elegant!

MKD
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. djow1973

djow1973 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my Blu-ray player. More often than not when selecting the DVD function itr just reads "OPEN" on the display and no matter what you press makes a difference. Took it in for repair under warranty, it had a new drive fitted and firmware upgrade, although it worked initially after getting it home it has failed again with the same problem.

Good news though, trying MK-Donalds suggestion of pressing eject just after power up did the trick. It offered me a s/w upgrade which I did and it reads "No Disc" as expected. Not sure how long this will last for but I'll keep you posted.