Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung BD-F8900

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Edinshef, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Edinshef

Edinshef Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Anyone seen this on Currys/PC world website? Not out quite just yet but according to the spec sheet it'll have dual Freeview HD AND Freesat HD tuners.
    If this is correct it'll be the 1st pvr/blu ray machine to do so. Strangely the Samsung website doesn't mention the freesat tuners so I'm very sceptical about whether this will be as advertised. Anyone know any different? Do Currys often get their tech spec wrong?
  2. mf9

mf9 Member

Ratings:
    +12
  3. Edinshef

Edinshef Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yes dual freeview tuners are mentioned on the official Samsung site but both Currys and PC world say it's got dual Freeview AND dual Freesat tuners. Some Samsung TV's have these so I'm really hoping this is correct though as you say the price is a bit steep but will probably come down in a few months. A separate set up of freeview pvr and a freesat pvr would cost about the same so it's not so unreasonable I reckon.
  4. Edinshef

Edinshef Member

Ratings:
    +9
  5. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,222
    All other sources say that it is just twin freeview tuners , so I am inclined to think this is a (typical) sloppy mistake on the part of Currys.

Perhaps there are plans elsewhere to also release a twin Freesat tuner version, but I have seen none yet.
  6. Edinshef

Edinshef Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I've alerted Currys to the wrong description on their website but I'd be surprised if they actually change it. Saw it for sale today and can confirm its DVBT2 only. It looks very cheap and shiny black plasticy and not worth anything like the completely ridiculous asking price.
    Also hard to find out whether it does screen mirroring from tv to ipad etc via the Samsung smart view app and whether it comes with the new Samsung S recommendations feature - some sites say yes to both Samsung site says different.
    This looks like a dog's breakfast to me as far a publicising what this new model actually does.
  7. mf9

mf9 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Still no reviews? This has the potential to be a top PVR. Twin DVBT2 tuners, potentially all of the iPlayers ( BBC, ITV, C4, C5, Netflix ), plus streaming including MKV DTS. Hopefully we'll find out sooner or later. Still that £379 asking price is too steep.
  8. Edinshef

Edinshef Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah way too steep...about £100 too steep in my opinion! Samsung have some kind of exclusive deal with Currys to sell this so they're taking full advantage of that - all their stores have lots of them and that's how they'll probably stay.
    I'm biding my time waiting on the BD F8500 with a 500gb hard drive instead of 1tb and should be around £250-£275 from non excessive rip-off retailers.
    Might go for the even cheaper BD F6900 where you add your own usb hard drive.
    I agree - the new app store and dual core processors should make these new pvrs amazing.
  9. mf9

mf9 Member

Ratings:
    +12
  10. hotjamesall

hotjamesall Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just taken the plunge at got one of these. Arrived yesterday.

So far so good - seems to do what it says on the tin, apart from lack of ITV Player and Demand5 Apps. Samsung support this morning told me these apps will come within a month.

Will reserve final judgement for a few days - see how it beds in and we get used to using it.
  11. Edinshef

Edinshef Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Can you confirm whether the new S-recommendations feature works with the tv tuners and app store/movies or does it just recommend films and apps like the other blu ray players without tuners? The new f-series TV range recommends tv programmes based on what you watch.... can the f8500/f8900 also do this? That feature is the real deal clicher for me!

I'm still waiting to get one from a real shop other than currys here. I know there are plenty online retailers with them in stock but it's easier to return to a physical shop if anything goes wrong with it.
  12. hotjamesall

hotjamesall Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't noticed anything about S-recommendations, either during viewing or in the menus, so I'd guess not. I'm not 100% sure though.

Some comments having used the machine for real last night:

Selecting a recorded program is a pain as it's buried down in the menus. Why can't they provide a shortcut from the home menu or even a button on the r/c? I know this was also a complaint for the previous generation.

While watching Netflix, you get popups alerting you that a program scheduled to record is about to start and would you like to check to see if the timings have changed. There is a menu "yes/no/cancel" which stays on-screen until you select one option. This is unnecessary and I need to find out if it can be disabled.

I scheduled 2 simultaneous HD programs to record while we were watching Netflix. Some strange popup messages were seen about 1 of the programs (something to the effect of program x is about to start on BBC1 HD it is also available on BBC1 HD, would you like to select this? yes/no/cancel). I selected "cancel" as it was the same channel and the program did not record.

Final point : a couple of wifi drops (complete loss of network) in about 2 hours of Netflix viewings. This is odd since the box is in the same place as my Apple TV which never (yes never) lost wifi during Netflix viewing.
  13. Edinshef

Edinshef Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I'd try to go for a wired set up if I was you it's always the best option for streaming - some devices do wifi better than others. Has the recordings menu not got an icon in the smart hub anymore then? On my 2011 Samsung tv it's just a press to smart hub - then recordings?
    The S-Recommendations should appear on the main screen when you go into the smart hub - it should come up with social media/videos/music/pictures/smart hub/tv etc there should be 4 or 5 items to scroll across with s-recommendations being one of them? Well that's the way it works on the new f series tvs I've seen in the shops anyway but maybe it's completely different on the blu rays.
    Those recording messages sound very annoying hope you find some way to disable them.
  14. Bucky O'Hare

Bucky O'Hare Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got this unit a couple of weeks ago and I have noticed when returning to LiveTV from using any Network Steaming iPlayer, 4OD, AllShare or USB Drive to stream / play a video the Sound and Picture are a out of sync this does not happen if I have been playing a recording or BluRay/DVD only switching off and on again fixes the sync.

I also notice that last night (16th May) that there was an Update delivering the long awaited ITV Player app, I had a play around and found that it is very slow and sluggish in use.

Hope the Demand5 and maybe even the Blinkbox SmartTV apps are going to be released for it soon.

Tried watching a program from itv player app and no audio
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  15. phonic

phonic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

It's good to know that I'm not alone with these issues.

I've also got the same BD-F8900M on 12th May, and have the same lip-sync issue. I have to reboot to regain sync after using the Smart Hub.
    The current firmware seems more like beta, it's not that stable yet with roman freezing when using the Smart Hub.

I've escalated the sync issue with Samsung support.
    You may also notice Google Talk hangs when typing to login, forcing you to reboot the unit. ITV Player has no sound. ITV are aware of this issue, and hoping to get a fix out asap. This issue effects all new 2013 BD-F models.

Also, where did Explore3D, Red Bull TV ,and others go? Samsung support was lost on that one, and ask me to search for them.
  16. phonic

phonic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to mention...
    As the Samsung web browser supports flash, you can use the web browser button on the remote, and type itv.com./itvplayer. works fine. I've plugged in my wireless keyboard and mouse, and works very well.

As a work around for the missing apps(and the one with no audio) I've set the browser to default to loading the bookmark page where I've bookmarked ITV Player, and Demand 5, and others. So after setting up, it's just one click. Hope that helps!
  17. timiano

timiano Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the F-8500M. It's pretty good all things considered, but I echo the statement above about the firmware feeling a little beta.

My biggest issue at the moment, is if you are recording Live TV, you can't launch any of the Apps in Smart Hub which is pretty dire. Apps work if you're in them already while recording starts.

Pretty capable device just let down by a few annoying glitches. All the on-demand stuff works a treat if not a bit clunky.
  18. phonic

phonic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New firmware(1004.1) is out that addresses these issues. ITV player sound issue, etc..
  19. the white rabit

the white rabit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one after deciding to ditch my tivo subscription and it cant find bbc1 and no hd channels updated it to latest firmware and still no joy.
    Now when it boots up it can't find hdmi connection and shuts down, ive decided to leave it for now and hope when I get home its eiter updated itself or otherwise it's going back to currys tomorrow.
  20. the white rabit

the white rabit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update, took the extension ariel cable off and plugged it in the ariel socket and it worked, so put box back and laid the extension cable back and it worked all is well .

No idea why it wouldn't work first time but hey now I know lol anyway hd picture is great even better than my TiVo was and no flicker , which I used to get off it .
  21. Bucky O'Hare

Bucky O'Hare Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After updating to the new FW1004.1 I still have the Picture and Sound sync issue with the unit after switching back from either iPlayer / ITV Player / 4OD playing a video from USB Drive or Network using Samsung AllShare to Live TV so it is not 100% fixed for me as yet.
  22. phonic

phonic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bucky O'Hare, Have you done a factory reset? Hold down Stop on the unit(not remote) for 8+ seconds until you see a confirmation window saying something like: "reseting all settings to default...." it will power off when done.
    I updated and did a full factory reset, and seems to have fixed the lip-sync issue.

Samsung have broke AllShare Cast in this new firmware. it connects ok, but just before it displays the mobile screen it drops out saying " Screen mirroring has ended"
    GoogleTalk still hangs on trying to login.

also, anyone else noticed that time shift is always off?
    you need to remember to press pause and play to get it going, or rewind will just say "Not available". Very annoying!
  23. Bucky O'Hare

Bucky O'Hare Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try the factory reset tonight.
  24. mf9

mf9 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yes, this is the same as the Samsung TV's ( well the ES8000 in anycase ). Sometimes the people at Samsung seem on a different planet!
  25. phonic

phonic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess they will not be excepting that as a bug then....
  26. jasonwaite95

jasonwaite95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this model and still having sound sync and mirroring my phone problems. Anyone having any better luck?
  27. the white rabit

the white rabit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What I do is if I have sync probs then turn off the unit and turn it on and that sorts it, iam also thinking of putting a signal booster to see if this ends sync problems.
    I dont have any sysnc probs with s3 when iam using it to send films or tv.
  28. jasonwaite95

jasonwaite95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you had any luck with screen mirroring using your s3. I'm using note2.
  29. the white rabit

the white rabit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes no probs at all , I use tv portal to watch tv and watch it on my phone or at the same time my sammy 50 inch tv.
  30. the white rabit

the white rabit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive decided to link this unit via my new 450 Samsung sound bar with out using optical cable and hope this also may stop any sync problems.