1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung BD-D5500 Multiregion Hack

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by tboy2000, Jun 30, 2011.

1. tboy2000

tboy2000 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    1. Make sure no disc or usb stick is inserted in the blu-ray player.
    2. Turn on your your blu-ray player.
    3. When the main menu appears, press the REPEAT button followed by the region code your blu-ray player is currently locked to depending on which country you are in (eg: in the UK/Europe press "REPEAT 5 7 5 3 8").
    4. In the top right corner you will see your region code flash (eg: 2 for UK).
    5. Press 9.
    6. Turn off and on and your Samsung BD-D5500 is now region free.

So to recap, after pressing REPEAT, please enter one of the following codes that matches your current region lock:

1 – 2 9 3 3 4 (US)
    2 – 5 7 5 3 8 (Europe)
    3 – 5 6 7 3 2 (South East Asia)
    4 – 7 6 8 8 4 (South America)
    5 – 5 3 8 1 4 (India, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa)
    6 – 2 4 4 6 2 (China)

9 - Region Free
  2. andrestao

andrestao Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check post at the end on videohelp forum...

Samsung BD-D5500 region code - VideoHelp.com

New units on USA come with a "Search" button instead of the famous "Return" button, and a red "Netflix" button.

If anyone knows how to unlock it, please post on any of this two threads...
    Cheers
  3. sjha1973

sjha1973 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Definitely works for Region 2 UK players - did this myself some time ago and we still have the repeat button.

That being said Samsung do seem to be locking down this functionality in later firmware versions - this happened with the BD-C5900. So anyone getting one of these should apply the hack before updating the firmware (as there's no way to role back the firmware)

Quick question. Samsung have just released a new firmware 1013.1 dated 07 Jul, 2011, with improved You-tube compatibility. Has anyone who has applied the reg hack updated to the new firmware and can they confirm that their player was still region free afterwards?
  4. andrestao

andrestao Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yep, I have the US version w/ the new update, but as said before... no repeat button on the remote, so I can't confirm anything.:rolleyes:
  5. MidPacific

MidPacific Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The thread mentioned above just got updated saying to use the "Stop" button if no "Repeat" button is available. Can you verify whether that works for the US version? I would love to get this player too.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  6. Deino

Deino Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, checking some of the disks...I see that the real problem is not the region of the disks...the player can not play "PAL" dvds...

I have no problems using a region 1 dvd as long is "NTSC"(My player BD-D5300 is region 4)...sooooooo...I Was wrong. the codes and the hacks posted are not the problem, is the internal video converter

Now...How do I play "PAL" disks in this player???...that's the new problem.
  7. andrestao

andrestao Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The STOP button didn't work for me.
    I bought my unit on June, did the firmware update, and then try to unlock it without success.

Let's hope for more feedback.
  8. Deino

Deino Member

Ratings:
    +0
    use subtitle or return instead...I noted that even entering the code alone shows the number of the region in the cornet...and allows to change it
  9. vaderag

vaderag Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks - just got one of these and multiregion hack certainly worked for DVD's :) Have no MR blu-rays, so cant test, but assume will work too!
  10. MidPacific

MidPacific Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which region, vaderag?
  11. vaderag

vaderag Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Region 2, UK - my remote still had the repeat button... think all UK ones do...
  12. MidPacific

MidPacific Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for clearing that up :) So you can confirm a region 1 DVD now works? I'm asking because I'm coming to the UK next week, and I might want to pick one of these up while I'm there...
  13. vaderag

vaderag Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I can confirm - tested with my lion king CE dvd - worked fine.
  14. andrestao

andrestao Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. So we have confirmation on UK units.

Still, no unlock available for new US units with the new remote, so far...
  15. kendisred

kendisred Member

Ratings:
    +3
    samsung bd-d8500m ..i have tried code's that are on this thread and others to no avail..plz help..
    my remote is AK59-00119A ..theres no repeat button on remote and when i switch on player is goes straight to freeview not main menu.. i am in the UK r2 player wanting to play mine collection of r1 & r4 disc...any help would be gratefull

ps: my current version 2011/07/18_001005

thanx
  16. barrywi

barrywi Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I bought my Samsung BD D5500 just over a week ago in the UK and none of the suggestions on here have worked so far. No reaction at all to Repeat +number. It did many updates when I first got the machine, maybe Samsung have scuppered this mode of changing to multi region.Any more suggestions?
  17. vaderag

vaderag Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Very odd - the first thing i did was check for an update (none found), then i did the MR hack... worked flawlessly once i got the combo right (initially tried the non region 2 method!)
  18. barrywi

barrywi Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for that just tried the region 2 method ie
    repeat
    57538 ( no number appears top right)
    pressed 9 just in case but no success
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  19. vaderag

vaderag Member

Ratings:
    +5
    You have to do it pretty fast, but smoothly... if it still doesnt work, then i don't know...
  20. MidPacific

MidPacific Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi friends in Europe, while we're talking about different models could you tell me what voltage yours accepts? Only 220/240V or lower ones too?
    Thank you :)
  21. Phrenetic

Phrenetic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This unlock procedure also works with the European BD-D5300 with firmware 1013 installed. Firmware 1015.5 has just been released, I'll update and report back.

Update: The player is still region-free for dvd's after the update/

@MidPacific: My european player is rated 220-240V only.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  22. kendisred

kendisred Member

Ratings:
    +3
    what screen/page do you do this hack ..as mine bd-d8500m when i switch it on goes straight to freeview anyone plz help:thumbsup:
  23. Mr Ess

Mr Ess Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I've got a bd5500 and have got this hack to work, ie I have changed the 2 to a 9 and rebooted but it still won't play USA blurray discs. It says it's in an American region format. It will however play USA DVDs !

If I do the code again it is now showing a 9 so it has taken my input okay :confused:

Does this hack just do DVDs and not blurray region free?
  24. vaderag

vaderag Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Interesting... havent tried a Blu-ray, but was only really bothered about DVD's since i have hundreds of r1/r2/r4 etc...
  25. sjha1973

sjha1973 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    This hack only makes DVD region free not Blu-Ray. Think it's actually illegal for manufacturers to provide the ability make their players Blu-ray region free (in most countries anyway)
  26. denziloshamen

denziloshamen Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Just did the hack on mine and it worked fine. One thing I would say is you have to be really quick with the button pushes, any pauses and it didn't seem to work. Even when the region number appears in the corner, you have to be really quick to press 9 or the option disappears.
  27. Backflipboy

Backflipboy Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Just used the hack on mine with no problems. Will be updating the firmware tomorrow during the day and will report back. Just watching R1 copy of Streets of Fire ....... nice !!
  28. kendisred

kendisred Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i've got r1 streets of fire too , but cannot get the code to work on my bd-d85500m ..help plz:mad:
  29. Backflipboy

Backflipboy Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Just updated to the latest firmware and the region hack is still working, tested with R1 copy of Standing In The Shadows Of Motown ..... All Good !

Kendisred, Just take your time and input the code without any pauses between key presses, including the 9 for multi region, mine went in first time.

Good Luck !!
  30. kendisred

kendisred Member

Ratings:
    +3
    which page, channel or menu screen should the hack be applied to...as when i switch my samsung bd-d8500m on it goes straight to freeview (no menu screen):rolleyes:
    plus theres no repeat button my remote...ive heard of the stop button and subtitle button being used but to no avail....getting puddles of water through crying and i don't want it damaging my av equipment..lol
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011