Samsung B650 Owner's Thread *Part 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
so you do not have yahoo video neither?

rongviet mentioned to have set his tv to uk too but he has this widget.

i have it set to germany and have exactly the list you posted glesgaguyav.

Could it be something to do with the countries internet providers, they may have different copywright deals or something like that, very weird:confused:

Hi,

last friday I bought a LE32B650 LCD-TV.
After the first installation I had the problem that the TV switched of itself.
At first the screen turned black, the background light was still turned on. The TV did not respond to any remote control commands.
After a few seconds the TV turned off and then on again.
The failure is not reproducible but it happened 3 or 4 times.
I made a firmware upgrade and the failure seems to be gone. But yesterday I wanted to watch a fullHD trailer from USB and the TV turned off again. And with this trailer the failure is reproducible.
Does anyone else have had this kind of problem?

Greetings from Germany

Dodger

The widget thing seems country and internet dependant.

In the UK the widgets available are:

Sidoku
Yahoo Weather
Yahoo News
Texas Hold em (game)
Flickr
Quizzmaster (game)
Yahoo Finance
USA Today Sports
Twitter

Hope this helps for comparisons

I have all these widgets (I forgot about the Quizzmaster) but I also have Yahoo! video widget. But like I said before, I have channels problem. Some of my TV channels show "weak or no signal" for about 3 minutes before it show its normal channel.

After studying reviews and postings, I have taken the plunge and purchased an LE46B650, and am really pleased with the picture quality on all sources!! HD via Freesat is superb, but then so too is normal SD...........couldn't be more pleased by the picture.

However, I do have an issue regarding audio delay/lip sync. Even using the inbuilt sound, there are some sync problems (I upgraded from a 32" CRT, which had no such problems at all), but these are made even worse by using my home cinema system for the sound from any source (TV, DVD, or the Mac Mini which I use as a media centre). The Freesat box has a lip sync adjustment, which helps, but is useless for non-freesat sources. I have come to realise that digital processing of the picture can lead to some sync issues, but I wondered whether there is anything else I can do to help things on the Samsung? It's such a shame, because the picture is absolutely fantastic.......but even slightly out-of-sync audio really grates with me.

Please tell me I don't need to go back to a CRT??!!

After studying reviews and postings, I have taken the plunge and purchased an LE46B650, and am really pleased with the picture quality on all sources!! HD via Freesat is superb, but then so too is normal SD...........couldn't be more pleased by the picture.

However, I do have an issue regarding audio delay/lip sync. Even using the inbuilt sound, there are some sync problems (I upgraded from a 32" CRT, which had no such problems at all), but these are made even worse by using my home cinema system for the sound from any source (TV, DVD, or the Mac Mini which I use as a media centre). The Freesat box has a lip sync adjustment, which helps, but is useless for non-freesat sources. I have come to realise that digital processing of the picture can lead to some sync issues, but I wondered whether there is anything else I can do to help things on the Samsung? It's such a shame, because the picture is absolutely fantastic.......but even slightly out-of-sync audio really grates with me.

ZneeZ in an earlier post mentioned that they had overcome the problem by using the analogue out socket and connecting that to their Home Cinema/Amp. They also mentioned adjusting a setting in the Service menu to do with the audio delay - it seems there are 2 delay settings; one for speakers and one for analogue output and they matched them both to 100.

From this I would say that Samsung build in an artificial delay to the sound to match it up again with the picture after it has gone through the numerous processing stages. The setting in the service menu can only be an average setting but the value will need to be tweaked depending on the processing options you have enabled. More processing turned on = greater picture delay ==> greater audio delay needed. Just a theory.

So whereas ZneeZ just wanted to match the Analogue output to the TV speakers to remove the echo effect, you might need to tweak the settings a bit more to remove the lipsync issue - he said it can be adjusted dynamically.

PB

what do you wanna say? because 5 people here have this issue it is a common b650 problem?

i believe you that you and the others have this issue but don't talk as if most of the b650 have this issue. beside in this thread i never heard of this, and even here are only 5 (correct?) people having this issue.

it's still a problem. nothing to ignore and i feel bad for you. but contact support. it's a fault. **** happens. such bad luck can happen with any other lcd of any other manufactor. maybe not the same, but other faults.

as long as there are not many people complaining of such an issue it is a rare case.

i repeat, i believe you, and i feel sorry for you. contact support. don't get me wrong, maybe i missunderstood you.

edit: my 40" is AA03, the two 46" of a friend are both CN02. just for your information. cannot see any diference, but never had them next to each other.

edit2: damn i would really really like to see this blur effect in action. could anybody try to film this in good quality? don't know if it would work, but for a try i would be very thankfull.

Just a note on the BLUR EFFECT.... its not the usual kind of motion blur like what used to be on the A656 series. (got fixed swiftly with firmware update) Imagine a persons head being shaked really fast when using your phone camera. A really nasty kinda blur for 2 secs. Recently updated to latest firmware 1010.1 I have also seen PQ difference just by changing my HDMI lead, first lead was a cheap £10 lead from ebay. Second lead i got free with my 360 noticed it said v1.3 on the cable. Now pic seems better the BLUR is nearly gone its no way as bad as before. Im gona try & capture this BLUR effect for peeps if i can ! Mine is also version AA03 testing on V+

Did not notice the blur effect on PS3 with bluray ever. Also 360 owners the lag !!! What lag!! gaming is fine... Play Prototype bad ass game

Last few nights been watchin plenty movies sometimes the PQ on some channels have been excellent like nearly HD. The channel & bitrate matters. Spoke to Virgin rep today who says wait till end of 09, New HD channels coming. We'll have to wait n see !

More questions:

You didn't mention your security settings - did you enter a key on the TV? I don't understand how you managed to connect to your network wirelessly without entering a key into the TV settings - unless you have an unsecured network (which isn't wise).

So your router is 192.168.0.1 - have you set that as the gateway address on the TV?
>Yes

What IP address is given to the TV by the router using DHCP?
>192.168.0.8

Have you tried it with a manually set IP address?
No - it won't take that

Is there a setting on the router to block a ping request? There is on my Belkin but only if it comes from the Internet side of the router - all LAN pings should be replied to.
> There is a setting, but it is switched on, ie allows ping requests

Can you ping to the TV from a PC on your network? Can you ping the router from a PC on your network?

I can ping the router from the PC, but not the TV.
PB

Thanks for your help so far

let me explain this:

lipsync "problems" are due to the huge postprocessing current tv do to enhance picture quality, this includes but is not limited to 100hz technic.

this is quite common. thus if you have a modern av-receiver it should adjust automatically ober hdmi or may offer an adjustable latency for sound.

if you want to connect it directly to the tv you will only can reduce it by deactivating most of the postprocessing.

if you use inly stereo or 2.1 speakers you can use the the headset out as i do.

last but not least i discovered a possibility to set an audio latency for each of the tvs output possibilities (analog out, headset out, digital out and speakers out). there are settings for this in the service menu. but playing with the service menu around is risky and not supported.

going back to crt would solve your problem, as it would do any lcd with nearly no postprocessing to enhance image quality.

Many thanks for the replies........most helpful. Unfortunately, my av sound system is rather old, and has no delay/sync adjustments; I was thinking about upgrading this at some stage anyway, so this might just force my hand! Adjusting within the service menu sounds enticing, but the possibility of voiding the warranty is unattractive..........do you think that a call to the Samsung support desk might help, in that if I explained the problem, surely they would have to either allow me to adjust within the service menu without voiding the warranty, or send a technician out to do the same?

I guess it's something that one does get used to over time. It just seems a shame that improving the picture quality goes hand in hand with worsening the audio........and that this issue is not aired as much as it should be, especially in a retail environment, where for obvious reasons the sound is usually off? Switchers from CRT should at least be forewarned!!

Other than that.........nothing but praise for the LE46B650.

i discovered a possibility to set an audio latency for each of the tvs output possibilities (analog out, headset out, digital out and speakers out). there are settings for this in the service menu.
I also have the lip sync issue (echo effect from TV speaker) but I am using the optical (digital) output. Are you saying that there is a setting in the Service Menu to tweak the delay for the optical interface? Or does Auxout Delay Normal also alter the delay for the optical output?

Many thanks

well, i don't know what samsung would say. try it. and i agree with you that it would be nice to adjust such latency stuff within the normal menus.

but if you think about buying a new av-receiver anyway you will have this option on your receiver.

I also have the lip sync issue (echo effect from TV speaker) but I am using the optical (digital) output. Are you saying that there is a setting in the Service Menu to tweak the delay for the optical interface? Or does Auxout Delay Normal also alter the delay for the optical output?

Many thanks
if i remember right there was a setting to adjust the optical out seperately from the other sound outputs.

but i never had tested it. don't blame me if you get problems with it.

I am expecting this TV to be delivered to me tomorrow as a replacement to an LG that couldnt be repaired so i was credited. got the Le37B651T for £655 with the 10% off i was given which i do believe will be a bargain!

I just wanted to ask as i cant find a clear answer in these threads. Am i right in thinking that MKV's with DTS audio will not pass through the DTS out the SPDIF to my AV receiver to get 5.1?

Instead i have to convert the DTS to AC3?

I am expecting this TV to be delivered to me tomorrow as a replacement to an LG that couldnt be repaired so i was credited. got the Le37B651T for £655 with the 10% off i was given which i do believe will be a bargain!

I just wanted to ask as i cant find a clear answer in these threads. Am i right in thinking that MKV's with DTS audio will not pass through the DTS out the SPDIF to my AV receiver to get 5.1?

Instead i have to convert the DTS to AC3?

The audio in MKV with DTS can not play from my Samsung. When I convert to AC3 using this tool, I can hear the sound.
Tutorial for converting audio tracks with HeartWare MKV Audio Converter

Just a note on the BLUR EFFECT.... its not the usual kind of motion blur like what used to be on the A656 series. (got fixed swiftly with firmware update) Imagine a persons head being shaked really fast when using your phone camera. A really nasty kinda blur for 2 secs. Recently updated to latest firmware 1010.1 I have also seen PQ difference just by changing my HDMI lead, first lead was a cheap £10 lead from ebay. Second lead i got free with my 360 noticed it said v1.3 on the cable. Now pic seems better the BLUR is nearly gone its no way as bad as before. Im gona try & capture this BLUR effect for peeps if i can ! Mine is also version AA03 testing on V+

Did not notice the blur effect on PS3 with bluray ever. Also 360 owners the lag !!! What lag!! gaming is fine... Play Prototype bad ass game

Last few nights been watchin plenty movies sometimes the PQ on some channels have been excellent like nearly HD. The channel & bitrate matters. Spoke to Virgin rep today who says wait till end of 09, New HD channels coming. We'll have to wait n see !

So do you think a more expensive HMDI cable would help the blur problem?

I rang Samsung yesterday to try and see if they could help me but they couldn't really. The guy kept telling me to try putting Judder reduction up and mess around with Custom udner 100hz mode, but I kept saying to him that i've tried that and it's not making a difference. He then told me to update my firmware and call back if it didn't fix the problem. I updated to 1010 and it's not helped at all. Haven't called back yet though.
Anyone else spoke to Samsung about it yet?

Just to confirm though, my blur/judder USUALLY occurs when 100hz motion plus is ON and on any of the settings. It doesn't really happen when 100hz is off but I have noticed it now and then when watching video with the xbox. Gaming is fine, even with 100hz on, no lag or blur or anything. I love how amazing my games look with this TV, especially Bioshock.

The guy from Samsung said it could be because the TV couldn't process the input from video on the Xbox 360 or from USB quickly enough (only after I suggested it to him though!).

Don't really know what to do. The picture is great with 100hz OFF but the picture is AMAZING with 100hz on, it almost looks 3d sometimes (watched 300 on HDDVD with the xbox) and the upscaling on SD is awesome.

I hope I didn't miss an answer when I nailed this question into the middle of my last thread - if I have I'm sorry. :(

Can anyone throw any light please on a wireless alternative to using the rather expensive wireless Internet dongle WIS09 that Samsung offer as the "only" way to connect wirelessly?

Thanks in advance:smashin:

I hope I didn't miss an answer when I nailed this question into the middle of my last thread - if I have I'm sorry. :(

Can anyone throw any light please on a wireless alternative to using the rather expensive wireless Internet dongle WIS09 that Samsung offer as the "only" way to connect wirelessly?

Someone posted on this thread that they had used an alternative successfully, finding the post the problem, tried a search?

I rang Samsung yesterday to try and see if they could help me but they couldn't really. The guy kept telling me to try putting Judder reduction up and mess around with Custom udner 100hz mode, but I kept saying to him that i've tried that and it's not making a difference. He then told me to update my firmware and call back if it didn't fix the problem. I updated to 1010 and it's not helped at all. Haven't called back yet though.
Anyone else spoke to Samsung about it yet?

Just to confirm though, my blur/judder USUALLY occurs when 100hz motion plus is ON and on any of the settings. It doesn't really happen when 100hz is off but I have noticed it now and then when watching video with the xbox. Gaming is fine, even with 100hz on, no lag or blur or anything. I love how amazing my games look with this TV, especially Bioshock.

The guy from Samsung said it could be because the TV couldn't process the input from video on the Xbox 360 or from USB quickly enough (only after I suggested it to him though!).

Don't really know what to do. The picture is great with 100hz OFF but the picture is AMAZING with 100hz on, it almost looks 3d sometimes (watched 300 on HDDVD with the xbox) and the upscaling on SD is awesome.

A good HDMI cable is always worth while, it doesn't need to be one of the really expensive ones, although if you've got the spare cash:D

I think I know now what you may be talking about regards the blur/judder, I generally have the 100Hz set to off, but I tried it set to clear or manual for Digital SD viewing, (judder 0 blurr 8), the only time I noticed it was when some programs started with a talking head (news) I noticed that the lip movement seemed to sutter for a second,it also happened somtimes if the scene changed suddenly, I believe this may be to do with the broadcast bitrates changing and the TV trying to keep up or adjust.

I still have noticed no burring as some have posted on SD channels (dependant on broadcaster quality), I can only get the BBC HD channel and my settings on this are the default ones with no noticeable blurr or judder but at times the quality can change, I'ts been reported that the BBC sometimes lowers it's bitrate on the HD channel, hence the drop in quality.

No.

There is virtually no difference between a £10 cable and a £200 cable.

My pal got fleeced when he bought his telly to buy an expensive HDMI cable. He brought it up one night and i tested it in place of my £3.50 gold plated cheapos from ebay and there was not 1 sign of any difference at all.

The cable he got was a Monster cable priced at £130 or something stupid.

A digital signal would not degrade enough over a meter cable to cause the blur you explained.

No.

There is virtually no difference between a £10 cable and a £200 cable.

My pal got fleeced when he bought his telly to buy an expensive HDMI cable. He brought it up one night and i tested it in place of my £3.50 gold plated cheapos from ebay and there was not 1 sign of any difference at all.

The cable he got was a Monster cable priced at £130 or something stupid.

A digital signal would not degrade enough over a meter cable to cause the blur you explained.

Thanks. I didn't think the cable would make much difference. Mine was about 9 quid or something off play.com, I'd never pay 130 or whatever for a cable, no chance!

I dunno what the problem is with the juddery blurring, it is mainly with 100hz on just when someone moves their head or something, it can sort of judder a bit and sometimes leave like a trail as if the picture is having a hard time keeping up with itself. It probably is just something to do with being unable to process a 100hz picture frm the xbox, doesn't it have to add an extra frame in between the original frames or something?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Originally Posted by Cibarious

Someone posted on this thread that they had used an alternative successfully, finding the post the problem, tried a search?

Thanks :thumbsup: for mentioning that post, it seems only to mention he has used the WIS08BG and that there was interference from a laptop. It didn't seem to actually say if there was full functionality (minus N, of course) for the likes of PC Share.

If you are reading this @licenced maybe you can :lease: provide more details on what you can get your Sammy to do with the WIS08? Thanks in advance to you both.

Thanks for your help so far

Sorry bodders, not much more I can suggest apart from sending me your dongle and letting me try it! :D

PB

Thanks :thumbsup: for mentioning that post, it seems only to mention he has used the WIS08BG and that there was interference from a laptop. It didn't seem to actually say if there was full functionality (minus N, of course) for the likes of PC Share.

If you are reading this @licenced maybe you can :lease: provide more details on what you can get your Sammy to do with the WIS08? Thanks in advance to you both.

Worth waiting for a definitive answer from licenced but the wireless adaptor you use should have no effect on any application such as PC Share. The application uses the network connection that you have however it is implemented. If the 08 model can connect to your network then PC Share will work over that connection.

PB

Worth waiting for a definitive answer from licenced but the wireless adaptor you use should have no effect on any application such as PC Share. The application uses the network connection that you have however it is implemented. If the 08 model can connect to your network then PC Share will work over that connection.

PB
@peebee :hiya: appreciate that. My reason for looking at the wireless route (whether I get PC Share to work or not) is that I currently have cat5 cable threaded through the house and my wife keeps falling over it and the cats are chewing on it. :rotfl: Will use cable until I can find a consistent way to make PC Share or its equivalent work and then go wireless. Mind you, am playing my media from a 20gig drive at the moment and that works perfectly - I am amazed at the quality picture the Sammy produces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom