1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 2D-to-3D conversion - post your results

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by Jedit, Jun 23, 2010.

1. vader100

vader100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +438
    Good article about the conversion process in this months Home Cinema Choice magazine. Basically says the conversion will work best on HD sources with brightly lit scenes with lots of movement.
  2. Migman

Migman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    So, basically they read Nielo's posts then.:D
  3. vader100

vader100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +438
    :rotfl: yeah.
  4. xirtja

xirtja Member

Ratings:
    +10
    The Planet Earth documentarys look absolutely stellar in 3D conversion mode, also was watching stephen tompkinsons australian baloon trip on it last week and that impressed me. It seems massive vistas work really well, giving you the illusion of incredible depth. Gran turismo 5 prologue in bonnet mode looks great, as does forza 3! Obviously football live looks great especially if its in HD.
  5. 9646gt

9646gt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, I was all excited about Top Gear!!!!! I will still try some 720p mkvs of it :)
  6. 9646gt

9646gt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have not stopped thinking about playing forza in 3d! I am still waiting on my tv to come in :( Then I can enjoy it for a month tops and I have to move (military) so I won't be able to play with it for about 2+ weeks! They better not break my baby when they move it! lol
  7. prof 573v3

prof 573v3 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    this is very interesting. i have samsung ps50c7000

PGR 4 on xbox works very well.

i have played Avatar the game with the side by side settings and that works very well, later today i will compare it with the game 3d settings off and try the 2d to 3d conversion. I am beginning to think i may get better results.

will report back after a decent trial.
  8. Suave

Suave Member

Ratings:
    +340
    Hi Neilo!

Do you know what system of rendered 2D-3D other brands use? I am not too hopeful of Panasonic's version as they themselves pretty much admitted that they only added the feature to comply with public demand but thought it to be as useful as a cigarette lighter in a car for non smokers which makes me think they just added any old crap they could get away with.

Toshiba's proposed version has enhanced Resolution+ which sounds promising and I am not sure what system the others like LG & Sharp etc use and how good they are? It sounds like not all rendered 2D-3D re the same and some might be much better than others?

Suave!
  9. prof 573v3

prof 573v3 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hi all

the side by side version is far better for the 3d on avatar the game.

however the 2d-3d conversion is still very good.

the main difference being the depth although i will adjust this on the conversion settings and try again.

with the side by side settings you gain more of the effects comming out of the screen like scenery and floating mushroom things (as in the film).

the plus side of using the conversion is that the images seem a slightly higher quality as the frame is not being shared with the two images.

I will probably carry on playing the game with the side by side settings.

cant wait for black ops if its as good as the avatar 3d then it will be amazing.

Regards
  10. The Jamess

The Jamess New Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Cod modern warfare works well in 3d gives a good sense of depth most all all the artistic DVDs work well too lol. While things don't come out of the screen in conversion mode the depth looks really good like to watch corrie in 3G makes the women look even better! Also mythbusters in hd is cool in 3d
  11. FamicomHero

FamicomHero Member

Ratings:
    +29
    The 2d-3d effect on games i test worked quite well...

360 Outrun
    ps3 marvel vs capcom

I found if you look at stuff and see some decent depth there in games usually the 2d to 3d is quite good indeed, but for real 3d try Motorstorm 3d/wipeout w0ohoo :)
  12. RussellWilde

RussellWilde Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have an opinion on watching sports in 2d-3d vs. ESPN 3D? I'm wondering how big a difference it is.
  13. Mr Quint

Mr Quint Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    The first 3D movie I ever saw was back in 1983, as an 8 year old at my local Cinema I saw Jaws 3D. I was blown away as this wasn't like the red and green glasses that where given away free to view a poster in Look-in Magazine this was polarised lenses and I thought the effect was awesome. I have always wanted to see the movie in 3D again and have a very very dodgy Anaglyph version that a friend gave me, its poor to say the least.

However, the other night I dug out my R2 DVD version of Jaws 3 and thought what the hell, 2D -3D conversion on my LE46C750. I was very very surprised to see that the effect was dam good to say the least. The opening titles looked great, the scene where Overman gets chewed up, his arm appeared to come out of the bottom right hand side of my screen by a few inches. The scene where FitzRoyce is trying to lure the shark into the filtration pipe looked great, also the distance from the Sharks tail into the screen looked very deep.

Not everyone's bag I know but I really enjoyed seeing the movie this way, and this is the only way I will watch Jaws 3 from now on. :)
  14. xxmikexx

xxmikexx Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone confirm that the technology behind 2d>3d is the same on all the samsung tv's? So is the quality of the conversion equal on each set or are the middle to high end tv's better at this.
  15. lukalukaluka

lukalukaluka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, does someone know if Samsung UE-40D6000 does have 3D?

And if it does, does it also have the 2D -> 3D converter (is the converter available on all Samsing 3D tvs? ) ?
  16. Miths

Miths Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I've frankly been blown away by how effective the 2D to 3D conversion feature in my new Samsung PS51D550 can be - and actually is most of the time, assuming I use it on HD content (720p or 1080p) with some reasonably obvious depth cues (but it doesn't have to be hard perspective lines).

It's never going to match the tremendous depth of the best native 3D content of course, but the more I use it the more I'm inclined to change my initial impression of "subtle depth" to something that's often quite a bit more tangible than that.
    So far I've used 2D-3D conversion on everything from a few Blu-ray movies (I'll be testing a lot more of those in the coming days and weeks), assorted TV series episodes in HD (eg. Game of Thrones and Supernatural) and a variety of additional video content, such as parts of my... err... HD adult entertainment collection :p. I've also been meaning to try it out on various 2D PS3 games, but I haven't gotten around to that in more than one game (L.A. Noire, where the 2D-3D conversion disappointed a bit).

It really does a quite remarkable job most of the time - it can even regularly cope with scenes and camera angles that don't really allow for much depth perception in the first place, such as some close-up shots.

In terms of visible flaws of the technology, it mostly just manifests itself as cases that look flatter than you would expect (sometimes it can add a lot of depth to something that looks like a very complex and tricky image, and at other times - but they are reasonably rare - it barely adds anything to an image that looks like it has a bunch of clean and obvious depth cues).
    Cross talk has been very rare but does happen on occasion in dark scenes. I've dialed the depth setting back from the maximum of 10 to 9, which minimizes this issue further. Lower than 8 and it quickly starts becoming a lot less impressive and thus arguably barely worth using.
    I haven't noticed more than a few examples where it looked like the conversion screwed up and very visibly placed eg. background objects in the "front plane" or vice versa.
  17. thinboifat

thinboifat Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Try inception :)
  18. Miths

Miths Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I don't have it on Blu-ray unfortunately, but I have plenty of other BD movies I'm eager to try out with 2D-3D.
  19. Miths

Miths Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I've just spent a little time experimenting with three PS3 games - Red Dead Redemption, InFamous and Uncharted 2 - and the 2D-3D conversion keeps impressing me.
    Despite their less-than-razor-sharp image quality - which I would assume would give the conversion system a harder time - there were times where RDR and InFamous could almost have fooled me into thinking they were in native 3D (bright, high contrast images generally work best, so night time scenes in - or dark alleyways in InFamous - were less impressive, and slightly prone to cross talk. Although one of the small towns in RDR actually looked quite spectacular at night, with the street lights ensuring great depth).

Uncharted 2 was even more spectacular. I tested it in the Himalayan mountain village and the first part of the ice caves, and the 3D depth in the ice was just flat out amazing most of the time. I would argue that it rivaled the depth of the native 3D game Tron: Evolution, which I bought the other day (and looked better in the process given that Uncharted 2 is a stunning game, and additionally didn't have to make any graphical trade-offs since my TV is handling the 3D. I'm very much looking forward to comparing to Uncharted 3 later this year though, which is going to be in proper 3D).

After all these tests - video and games - I think it's safe to say I'll be spending a lot of time with the 3D glasses on, enjoying impressive 2D-3D conversions.
    I've seen plenty of people say the feature is not worth using and that it barely adds any depth at all - or suffer from other issues like cross talk or a tendency to mix up the depth layers. I can't help but wonder if those opinions were based on the 2010 TVs, or perhaps from other manufacturers than Samsung?
    I'm not going to claim the conversion is going to be amazing - or even worth using - in every case, but so far the overwhelming amount of the HD content I've tried has been modestly or greatly enhanced by it.
  20. sonickev

sonickev Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Miths, I agree. Considering there is no 3d information available, the effect is amazing.
    I have the 46d8000 and I truly thought the 2d to 3d was a gimmick. But the kids watch all their soaps now in standard definition 3d :)

Initially I thought sport was good converted, but then I watched the Masters in true 3d. 2 to 3d is great, but doesn't really compare.
    making anything 3d does justify the cost of the TV entirely
  21. marvmikey

marvmikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +51
    thought this thread deserved a bump mainly for the reasons stated in the OP but feedback on more 2011 model conversions would be useful to potential buyers

so little true 3d is available so I've enjoyed reading this thread and hope more feedback will follow

thanks everyone
  22. thinboifat

thinboifat Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Tv isn't worth it, but games look very good in 2d->3d, problem is though the increased lag. Good effect though, but with increased 3d titles, I barely use the feature.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. slipstream

slipstream Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Sammy PS50C680 picture looks terribly grainy when viewing 2D-3D conversion. Does anyone else have this issue at all? My Tv is brand new and in 2D the picture is superb, but in 3D mode, not so good. Pixels in the dark regions are very grainy, flashing different colours.
  24. pottyaboutpotte

pottyaboutpotte New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:Has anyone tried watching Doctor Who using the 2D to 3D converter on Samsung 3D TV's? I got mine last week but won't be able to set it up till next week so being a huge fan of the show I would like to see an added dimension to it. I suppose Doctor Who should work quite well due to it being filmed in HD and being a high budget show with lots of special effects. I would love to see the TARDIS fly through the time vortex with added depth.
    Also could people tell me if these movies work well using the converter:
    X Men: First Class
    Harry Potter 1-6
    Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3
    Alien/Aliens/Alien 3/Alien Ressurection
    Resident Evil 1-3
    Transformers & Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
    Sherlock Holmes
    Star Wars 1-6 Particuarly the final duels between
    Yoda & Palpatine and Anakin & Obi-Wan
    Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
    and could someone if games like Skyrim, MW3, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Halo, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and the Lego games work with the converter. It would be a huge help thanks.
  25. marvmikey

marvmikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +51
    the higher number of easily noticeable highly defined layers in the picture will work best

best example of this is the opening buildings panning shot of the dark knight - it looks better than any actual 2d to 3d software i've used (depth set at no more than 7 here)

some reports say the more dynamic the picture the better - i strongly disagree, more layers the better
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  26. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    What setting up is there to do on the TV?:confused:
    All I can say in reply to your questions is that everything that I've ever watched on my Sammy in 2D>3D has worked perfectly and there's no reason to think that the same wouldn't apply to yours.
  27. Aliken

Aliken Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am completely blown away by the conversion it works brilliantly and basically watch everything with the 3D conversion on.

Does anyone have a link where it actually explains how this magic is done?
    I am interested in the tech behind it.