Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe to replace XBMC with a PS3 yet?

Discussion in 'PS3 Media & Streaming' started by Ethereal, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone that had XBMC running replaced it with their PS3 as a media streamer yet?

I have my Xbox and XBMC in the front room and stream music and movies over the wired network from my bedroom PC. I'd like to upgrade to a PS3 as they are shinier :) ....also for the rare Blu-Ray rental (I'm not buying while they are so expensive) and the occasional game that's not on the 360. I only have so much room in my cabinet though so it's XBMC or PS3, not both.

Can anyone comment on whether they regret upgrading or are happy with it.
  2. Golf_turbo

Golf_turbo Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Following the last update, lots of ppl have had issues. I cannot comment as I have refused to upgrade for now lol.

Read through the thread I make up your mind, I would advise not to though.

Sell the xbox and get a PS3 instead! :D
  3. nichorob

nichorob Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I came from XBMC which ive now got rid of leaving just my PS3.

The PS3 will pretty much play anything you throw at it (HD included) with the aid of a converter occasionally as its still quite picky about what codecs it will play or not. Couple it with TVersity and you should find it a worthy replacement.
  4. DistortionNat

DistortionNat Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I had XBMC streaming my movies to my TV for a few years and was extremly happy with it.
    Now I have a PS3 and 360 "trying" to do the same thing and to be honest its crap!!
    The ONLY reason I havent gone back to my XBMC is becuase of high definition content which the old Xbox cannot do.

My advice to you is this:

If you need HD capability then you have to go with PS3 or 360 (or HTPC of course).

If HD capability is a non-issue for you then STICK WITH XBMC it is a LOT better than the half arsed attempt that Microsoft and Sony have done with their new gen consoles.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm, if you mean the 360 then I think it still has the edge on choice of games. (I'm sooooo not trying to turn this into a 360 vs PS3 thread so please nobody else try.)

When it comes to using TVersity - then I might as well use the 360 for that.

Come on guys I was really hoping you'd convince me.

Anyone notice an improvement in heat, fan noise etc on PS3 vs Xbox?
  6. nichorob

nichorob Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Im not sure what you need covinceing on, it will play everything albeit with a bit of converting before including H264/HD, it has a bluray player and its silent.

But as said, unless you planning to use the PS3 for HD files, Bluray or its games then you may as well stick with what you got.
  7. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    To be honest the ps3 is still not quite the perfect little media centre some think it is.

Unless blu-ray or gaming are things you're after (gaming prob isn't due to your 360) then I'd say you're better off sticking with what you've got.
  8. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Most HD stuff tends to be MKV - which need converting for either the 360 or the PS3. I'm getting the impresion that the conversion is quicker on PS3 using something like MKV2VOB. XBMC won't play 720p MKV's but there are a few SD MKV's out there - as well as other niche codecs that XBMC just plays.

360 has some restictions with which PC's it'll connect to. XBMC connects to any windows install. Does the PS3 play nicely with windows XP / Vista or is it like the 360 in that it prefers Media Centre.

TVersity works as well for 360 as PS3, or so I read.

I guess I'm just asking for a "user experience" comparison between the two. One BIG thing I forgot to mention is that the missus has just about got to grips with XBMC - how's the PS3 UI in comparison. Obviously I'll do any conversion etc.
  9. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Member

Ratings:
    +99
    XBMC doesn't play HD that's enough to switch to a PS3 alone for me.
    If your not bothered about HD then stick with the Xbox and XBMC.

Personally I refuse to watch anything in SD anymore if there's even the slightest hint that I could watch the same in HD

Most .mkvs don't need converting at all they just need to be remuxed which takes literally seconds :thumbsup:

Edit:

On the ease of use get a BD remote and the Mrs will be able to use it fine.
    If she's anything like my Mrs stick a controller in her hand and she can't do anything.
    With the PS3 cross media bar all it is, is going up and down and sideways, very simple.
  10. Workshed

Workshed Member

Ratings:
    +149
    I faced a similar dilemma nearly a year ago and basically the only thing that could replace XMBC was a Media Centre PC. All the convienience of XBMC but with HD and TV recording thrown in!
  11. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'd rather stay away from the HTPC route. I have my laptop in the front room so can watch that way, but to me it just doesn't feel "integrated".

Plus, I really do want a PS3. Just want to be sure it can do "most" of the media playing stuff that the box it's replacing can. I'd buy one for the BD and games alone if I had room for it on top of the other 3 consoles.

Yes, Billy, if there's HD available then I want it. SD divx files are starting to look a little "soft focus" on my new 50" panny.
  12. The_Wierd

The_Wierd Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I have 360, PS3 and Xbox with XBMC and I have also been hoping that the PS3 would replace the XBMC-box, but sorry to say it's just not as good. The PS3 chokes on a large percentage of Xvids without transcoding, and the interface is just not as good. Obviously it can play HD material, which is where I have been using it, but otherwise I have stuck with XBMC. There is also the wife factor, and my wife prefers it as t is just easier to use.

I think I have been spoiled by XBMC as it is just so good, I mean it plays absolutely anything except HD stuff; VCDs, .rmvb, flash video, even file still inside .rar without un-raring them. No commerical system is going to offer as much as this. The best we can hope for is that the Linux port is successful so we can run it on a PS3!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. gavan

gavan Active Member

Ratings:
    +296
    I try to play most of my media files on the PS3 as opposed to my faithful chipped Xbox/XBMC because of fan noise issues with the XBox - but there are still occasions where the PS3 is incompatible. Plus it can't use SMB shares which is a drawback for me and the media server streaming is buggy too.

However, it has a very handy SD slot (well, my 60gig has :D ) and as well as the quietness, it also has fully digital links to my telly.... so I'm hoping to eventually shift over when Sony improve the codec compatibility.

XBMC can scrobble/stream last.fm though which is really great - I wish Sony would add that functionality to PS3.
  14. RichKS

RichKS Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I'm another person in that position: XBMC user who's just got a PS3.

XBMC is better. Hands down just better at everything except the old Xbox doesn't have enough gun to play HD video. I use my PS3 to play HD stuff after running it through MKV2VOB to remux it. And yeah, the picture looks fantastic on the PS3 when you're playing HD video over HDMI. Which is, y'know, awesome.

The 360 seems to be not as good at that as the PS3. Plus it's like, way too noisy to be any use.

But really, XBMC is just a hundred times easier to use, uses SMB shares rather than mucking about with all that upnp media server nonsense. The newer builds of XBMC also let you manage fan and hard drive noise very effectively, so that's another advantage the PS3 kinda doesn't really have. And the remote is IR so it works with my Harmony.

So I'll be using the PS3 to play HD stuff and BluRay. And obviously to play Haze when that comes out. But XBMC wins for general day-to-day SD use.

Hopefully future updates to the PS3 firmware will improve it to the point where it beats XBMC. But right now, nope, it doesn't.

If you want to to watch HD video and are prepared to remux it or bugger about with upnp/transcoding servers (not really a great hardship tbh) then the PS3 is good at it but probably not worth the price tag unless you want it as a gaming machine and or BluRay. It does those well too and as a combined package I don't feel cheated on the cost.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    :smashin:
  16. RichKS

RichKS Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Total agreement mate.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Member

Ratings:
    +99
    It plays everything I've ever wanted to play on it :confused:

I think once you know what your doing it really is perfect little media player.
    It's replaced my HTPC with out any problems.
  18. AudiophileUk

AudiophileUk Member

Ratings:
    +82
    i cant see either the PS3 or 360 or really any better than each other as a media server. Neither seems very good at handling HD formats such as Mkv with Dts? Seems a PS3 handles a few more file formats, the 360 has better Media Center integration but both fall short of the mark.

I know people use streaming utilities but its not a great solution. Encoding to playable formats takes a mind numbing amount of time - and usually results in a loss of quality (coding the same HD video twice, in two codecs is not desirable).

I built a HTPC based on vista media center due to this and its worked perfectly - however i would rather use my 360 if it played more file formats (or in this forums case a PS3).
  19. onkeh

onkeh Active Member

Ratings:
    +425
    Actually it does support samba shares, just make sure the server software is DLNA compatible.
  20. gavan

gavan Active Member

Ratings:
    +296
    You're getting your wires crossed here.

SMB is the protocol popularised by Windows for network shares:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

It's supported by a wide range of other devices now and of course SAMBA allows Unix boxes to share files using this protocol too.

The sharing the PS3 supports is PPnP though DLNA compatible servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

Although becoming more commonplace it still isn't as widely available as SMB and suffers from a lot of incompatibility issues - hence the need for the DLNA to certify support.

Whilst it's great that the PS3 supports UPnP I have found SMB support to be a lot more flexible and useful.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I just re-read that rather ambiguous statement. It made me chuckle as it can be taken as a Sony fanboy comment in that I wouldn't be interested in gaming as I'm a 360 owner. It can also be read that I wouldn't be interested in buying a PS3 for gaming as I can do that on my 360. Personally I'd like both consoles for gaming. There are great titles on both systems.

I was hoping that an "open" system like the PS3 would quickly have a Linux version of something (VLC Player, XBMC or anything) that could play the HD formats without conversion. It seems Sony have locked the graphics core nicely though so it's almost as "locked down" as the 360 when it comes to video processing.

I still love my Microsoft Xbox - but only because it's been modded. I'd have thrown it away ages ago if it hadn't been.

I only ever buy Sony-Ericsson phones and my AV amp is Sony. The PS3 also looks a lot better than the 360 IMHO.

Hope this is a balanced post. :)
  22. pxr5

pxr5 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Well I did take out my Xbox/XBMC - as I now have a 360 and PS3. But after a couple of weeks I can't live without it. The PS3 still baulks with some XviDs for no apparent reason I can work out, and I see no reason why I should have to phaff around to get a poxy XviD to play. If I knew exactly why a file wouldn't play, I could at least fix it easily before having to test it in the PS3 (GMC, packed bitstream, max consectutive bvops, CQMs whatever - I can handle that). Some of the solutions I've read about renaming the file to a wmv with a direct stream in vdubmod does sometimes work and Tversity isn't the best at on-the-fly transcoding. So I'm going back to XBMC for everything bar HD, which the PS3 is very good at after a converion with mkv2vob - in fact thinking about it I use a PS3 for mkv conversions, 360 for WMV-HD and XBMC for all other things. Mad really, I should just use an HTPC.
  23. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Member

Ratings:
    +57
    To the OP:

No, neither the 360 or the PS3 are a patch on XBMC IMO. The PS3 is great for streaming music, I would choose that over XBMC and it also streams some HD as well, the 360 will stream WMVHD which the PS3 has problems with

XBMC though, as far as video is concerned is a catch-all solution, even plays .rm and media files that are still in their archives (WinRAR, etc)

XBMC is a complete and utter lesson on how a multimedia device/centre should work in terms of media support. Funny how Sony and MS with all their money and resources can't seem to emulate this.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. Jay

Jay New Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Sorry what I meant (but typed quickly with errors) was that if you have a 360 it covers you for gaming.
    That's not to say that you can't have both consoles to play exclusives across the board ( I have all 3 consoles :))

In your original post you came across as gaming on the ps3 wasn't a major concern for you, hence "the occasional game that's not on the 360" and the fact that you would keep the xmbc if it did a better job than the ps3.

So going by that and the point of the thread, gaming really wasn't your main concern, which is why I replied in the way I did.

I couldn't possibly recommend you go for a ps3 for gaming when you were asking how it fared as a media centre. I merely replied that the ps3 isn't quite there yet.

Some people do purchase the ps3 as a blu ray player primarily, whereas the majority of people would buy the 360 for gaming as opposed to anything else.

Didn't realise I came across like a Sony fanboy.

I can assure you I'm not. I hate Sony and everything they make. :rotfl:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Member

Ratings:
    +57
    It doesn't seem to like older Xvids/DivXs, download this free utility (Gspot) and look at a file your PS3 does and one it doesn't play and check for differences.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

XBMC plays em all without issue though.
  26. Mutton

Mutton Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I keep an XBMC on a SDTV, but it doesn't get much use anymore.

The PS3 lacks some of the basic features that XMBC has, but I just use a PC for what it can't do.

Pros:
    Quieter
    Quicker boot
    HD playback
    DVD upscaling
    Bluray
    USB 2.0 for portable drives

Cons:
    Cost
    No (video)podcasts or internet radio
    More expensive HDD upgrade (2.5" vs 3.5")
    Not a fully featured media centre.
  27. pxr5

pxr5 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    No, there are a lot of new XviDs that don't work either. I use mpeg4modifier to check for packed bitstream, gmc, cqms etc. And with that and Gspot there is no difference I can find between files that work and those that don't. I've even rewritten the fourcc headers, removed any packed bitstream and they still don't work. As I said earlier, if it was something obvious, I don't mind a quick fix, but reencoding is a hassle imo - hence why I'm going back to XBMC.
  28. rbj

rbj Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Every video i have tried on it so far has not worked and the Codec says it is Divx :(
  29. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Member

Ratings:
    +99
    I'm honestly quite surprised at the negativity in this thread :confused:

I agree the XBMC can not be beaten for SD material.
    It would take a fair bit of work to get the same functions on a PC.

But as I said earlier in the thread I've replaced my HTPC with my PS3 and I haven't looked back since.
    The PS3 has played every single file I've ever asked of it, obviously I have some kind of idea what files not to even bother with.
    Every xvid I've tried works fine.
    I must be doing something different to everybody else :confused:

It must be the types of files people are trying to play on it.
    I only ever download genuine scene releases from genuine release groups.
    These files have to have exact standards other wise they get Nuked which means they haven't met them.
    If your downloading from an unreliable source i.e. every other tom dick and harry out there, you can't be sure they know what they're doing.

I don't claim to have all the answers but I must be doing something different. :)
  30. pxr5

pxr5 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Are you sure Tversity (or the like) isn't transcoding before being sent to the PS3. I've got all transcoding turned off in Tversity.

I find there are XviD files which do comply with tdx2005, that simply don't work and it's frustrating not knowing why.