Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe Distance for watching TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jcgc, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jcgc

jcgc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    Not sure if anyone can advise on this, but I thought this place would be the best place to ask.....

I have a 32" LCD on a TV stand. My 16 month old son continuallly stands next to the telly with his head about a foot from the screen.
    I'm not happy about this - as I'm sure it's not doing him any good so keep moving him to his little chair which is in the middle of the room.
    However, inevitably, he will end up standing next to the TV stand !!!

Is there anything in the TV that can cause him "damage" at this close distance?
    Is there a "safe" distance that you should be from a TV?

It's not like he watches it from 6am to 6pm but the time he does watch it, it would be nice to know it's not doing him any harm !!!!!

Thanks for your time folks. :smashin:
  2. Wellington Tim

Wellington Tim Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I think the biggest danger in standing that close is from the TV falling over on him.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. stockyvillage

stockyvillage Member

Ratings:
    +93
    the viewing distance is 4to 7 times the height of viewing screen he is standing to close he should be in between the above
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. r collison

r collison Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Is his vision ok? Perhaps he is short sighted and needs to get that close to focus.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Fvet

Fvet Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    As long as your tv is not from prior to 1968, there is no "danger" from inside the tv. Prior to this, some tv's did produce x-rays.

Viewing the tv from close range isn't harmful in itself, but there may be a link between shortsightedness and staring at tv and computer screens from close range for long periods.

Experts recommend a minimum viewing distance of 5 feet.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Tib

Tib Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree, it's proven that viewing tv from such distances (generaly less than 5 feet) can certaintly cause shortsightedness.:nono:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. jcgc

jcgc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

thanks for your replies. The TV is only 6 months old so fortunately that get rids of the x-rays concern.
    The TV is sitting securely on it's own stand, then on a big TV stand so fortunately there is no danger of the tv falling on him.

As for standing that close to the telly, i think he just does it because he can .... he likes looking at the colours and points at his favourite characters etc.etc.

He's gonna have to get used to sitting in his chair further away I think ... I wouldn't like his current viewing habits to contribute to short sightedness.

Thank you again.