Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S.t.a.l.k.e.r. 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by Tejstar, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Good news for STALKER fans, the developers have officially announced that a true sequel is on the horizon. GSC Game World has announced that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will be released in 2012.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. BSNismo

BSNismo Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,363
    Great news! Stalker games are real marmite games but i love them. Playing through Clear Sky again now with the complete mod and although alot of guys don't like Clear Sky i think it's great. Still to start Pripyat so looking forward to that.

Just love the atmosphere in the stalker games and the awesome lighting effects.
  3. WakyEggs

WakyEggs Member

Ratings:
    +1
    wow 4 million copies. That is way more than I expected after all those years of development I guess they still made a profit.. Nice the game deserves it, I consider original stalker as the best singleplayer game I have ever played, with oblivion mod that is :p
  4. Bahney83

Bahney83 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i played the original stalker for about 3hours and got a little bored of it to tell the truth, looks like i missed out.....maybe time to revisit this game and re download it from my steam account
  5. Divide by zero

Divide by zero Member

Ratings:
    +89
    The first stalker is my longest ever pre-order. 3 years :)
  6. fish99

fish99 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I just hope the series can survive the transition to consoles with most of what made it good intact. Not saying I'll play it on console, I'll play the PC one of course, but the mere fact that Stalker 2 has to fit on PS3/360 with 512mb ram, gamepads and a console audience is bound to have an effect on the PC version.
  7. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    i thought Call of Pripyat was a sequel! i still haven't completed the first game, i got to some underground bit near the end when you're trying to make it underground before the radiation blast, but unfortunately have a suit on with no radiation protection and the entire underground bit is radioactive :(
  8. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,008
    i bet the massive locations are smaller and not look as good, now Stalker 2 is going Multy-tomtom.

Clear sky was the 2nd game.. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky

cheap to buy as well. :) and looks better than Pripyat.
  9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    that was a prequel though :) i'm surprised it has better gfx than the one that came out this year!
  10. semiskimmed

semiskimmed Active Member

Ratings:
    +213
    yeah im a bit worried about that too tbh but atleast its far enough to be able to upgrade my PC ready for its release, i can remember the original coming out and my pc didnt run it all that well back then :laugh:
  11. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,008
    it came after the first so 2nd in my eyes :D i was, the grass and landscape just does not look as good as Clear sky.

same here, clear sky was even more Tweaked and power hungry, all was running fine Maxed till the last patch came out which added Pq it looked class, i had to drop the Veiw distance and AA to get good frames when running the 280 on a 6600 clocked at 3.2.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  12. KoThreads

KoThreads Active Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Great to hear but as said i hope it won't be scaled down for the PC. Clear Sky came free with my gfx card but took me ages to finish. I just bought SoC and CoP off Steam at the weekend so I've probably got a lot to play. I downloaded both 'Complete' mods and have updated CS, not sure if i'll play it all again though. Should I mod SoC before I play it, or just leave it?
  13. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,008
    SoC will not seem as big as Clear sky, you seem to be miles away from everything even guns are harder to get in clear sky well updated ones.. i still need to finish that game:(
  14. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,008
    GSC Closure “Confirmed”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/09/wuh-oh-gsc-stalker-2-dead/

:(
  15. Sartios

Sartios New Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Really like the games, the story of Chernobyl is very interesting, and what happened, and that it's a ghost town now, here is a very good story of a biker and her travels through the disaster area:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

Have a read through if your interested in it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. dan25730

dan25730 Active Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Gutted. The stalked games are fantastic. A little rough around the edges but in my opinion the most atmospheric games ever made, proper pc games.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  17. Hawklord

Hawklord Active Member

Ratings:
    +170
  18. bigtruck

bigtruck Active Member

Ratings:
    +976
    I'll have a look at that.
    I got the Stalker games in a steam sale and played about 3 hours in total. Really should go back to them but I've also got The Witcher & Oblivion more recently.
  19. Geege

Geege Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
    "The roads are blocked for cars, but not for motorcycles. Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want".:devil:

20. Sartios

Sartios New Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Yeah :D It's an awesome read that blog.

Would love to visit there just to experience what the feeling is like, I bet it is really eerie with it all being so quiet.

This is pretty good too:

http://googlesightseeing.com/2009/10/ghost-town-prypiat-ukraine/

You can view it via Google Maps and a little story to go with it, even the famous Ferris Wheel is on there you can see, which sadly never got used as it was a gift to the residents but they evacuated the city before it was set to open to the public.

It's amazing how nature has taken it's course and took over the city, really fascinating.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  21. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    :thumbsdow

That's really bad news IMHO - the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games were, standfast some dodgy dialogue, first class and some of my favourite games of recent times.

Really despressing to think that first class PC orientated content like this is now no longer financial viable. We'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the formal announcement, and to see if S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 has any hope of survival (I am guessing not). But, even if it does, odds are it will a trashy Crysis 2 like console port.
  22. BSNismo

BSNismo Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,363
    Same here, First one still to this day is one of my favourites and modded was unbelievable. Gutted :thumbsdow
  23. Geege

Geege Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
    I've still got to play Call of Pripyat on Steam, love the setting and I've read load about the nuclear disaster in that area (spent most of last night on wiki reading up too because of this thread got me interested in learning about Chernobyl. :D

I really hope perhaps another developer will make Stalker 2.
  24. Andris L

Andris L Active Member

Ratings:
    +629
    In the past I’ve started to play the Original game many times but never completed it. Just recently applied the Complete Mod and completed the game. Just a week ago or so i completed Clear Sky and now started to play Call of Pripyat.

I have to say that STALKER games are truly in the league of their own and every PC gamer should play them. The games are so immersive that some times I just wonder around and enjoy the creepy and atmospheric wilderness.

Once the news of STALKER 2 being cancelled surfaced I felt really sad as this was one of the games I truly was looking forward to play.
  25. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,008
    it will be a while for dedicated developed pc games mate, BF3 was the last hope even though the engine can do it, it shows this just playing online looking at the playing field even though it is such fun online but it could be so much better,
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R even the first game slows the best of the 775 socket setups even with the later gen Graphics cards on certain settings, hopefully some developer will pick this engine up and carry on as proper game engines do not get given away for free i.e the old engine, as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 engine is setup for multi platform:thumbsdow, so in a way there going out on a bang and not dragging there self's down hill.

Pc games will be slow haul until next gen consoles come out as they have set the standard for new consoles tobe released, but at least we will all save money on upgrades:cool::(.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  26. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,008
  27. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,268
    Reports appeared in December claiming that studio owner Sergei Grigorovich had informed staff of a company shutdown. GSC initially denied the report via Twitter before deleting its denial.
    The studio then declined to comment when contacted by the press.

However, a Facebook post on the game's official page now states: "The Stalker team is extremely happy! Why? Because we are continuing work on Stalker 2 after the holidays."

So there you go - it's not canned. Or at least it doesn't look like it.

Now let's all take a deep breath and relax. STALKER 2 is planned for release on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 later this year.

The Stalker team is... | Facebook
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,468
    I'd rather not play it if it's going to be a multiplatform release [fair enough, they probably have to do this to save their company]. It means it will, more than likely, be a DX9 title, and DX11 will be an afterthought.

For example - Batman: AC looked great on DX9, I'd have to say, but the DX11 features broke the game. Even after forcing us to wait weeks for these 'special features' to be implemented :/

Call of Pripyat [x-ray 1.6 engine] was DX11, native. Will they reverse that feature just for the consoles? I hope not.

That is unless, the developers stay true to the PC roots and have 2 production teams [One for DX9/Console, the other DX11/PC], which I doubt. They might even pull a Crytek on us, release STALKER 2, then 6 months later actually release a DX11 + High res texture patch.

I think we may be expecting another console port - Bring on the 512x512 textures!

:thumbsdow
  29. Andris L

Andris L Active Member

Ratings:
    +629
    It was reported already that they will be giving a proper PC loving to the game despite the fact it being multi platform title. In having said that I think it's fair for us to be worried until we know more details.
  30. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,468
    All PC games these days are given 'special' treatment, it's called 'neglect'!