Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotate a Quicktime .mov file?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DazJWood, Dec 28, 2002.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a couple of Quicktime .mov files that I took with my digital camera. The only problems is, is that I took these movies with the camera turned 90 degrees.

I now have two movies that when played are turned 90 degrees to the right. I'm sure there must be an easy way to rotate these frames back to there correct viewing position but I cannot work out how to do this??

Can anyone please help me out with this??

Thanks in advance,

Daz
  2. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Easiest way I can think of; is within Quicktime Player itself,
    although your need the full version.
  3. DazJWood

DazJWood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks for the answer, I think ?!?!?

I have the full version of the player.

How do you rotate a movie and resave it out ??????

The only way I can think of doing it is to take it into animation shop and rotate the images and then demux the sound from the original and re-encode the video and audio again.

There has got to be an easy way ???

Please help??

Thanks

Darren
  4. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok,

open movie
    goto the 'movie' menu and down to 'get movie properties'
    select 'video track' on the left side of the pop up menu that appears
    then on select 'size' on the right hand side of that menu
    you can then rotate, adjust size etc. with the buttons on the bottom of that menu and preview in the main window
    in the 'file' menu select 'export' and choose the file format, codec etc that you want.

hope this helps
  5. oisin

oisin Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Use Nikon Picture Project

It's FREE, can rotate the MOV files made by Coolpix cameras in milliseconds without decoding, recoding, unpacking or any other video-technobabble.

PictureProject @ Nikon
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...php?p_faqid=61

MAC & WINDOWS
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. robertd

robertd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  7. chris_p

chris_p Member

Ratings:
    +1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. tkoma

tkoma Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do not use Movierotator, I tried it and it ****ed up my video! After rotating it automaticaly saved it and overwritten the original file without even asking! Terrible software!
  9. jjdaes

jjdaes Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I just downloaded and used Movie Rotator to sort out a couple of quicktime movies that had been recorded with the camera turned 90 degrees.
    I made copies of the two files and worked on them just in case I had problems like the previous poster but I had no problems what so ever and the two movies were rotated in just a few seconds. Thankyou all very much. :thumbsup:
  10. carefactornil

carefactornil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Movie rotator worked fine for me and took all of about 2 seconds from open, rotate & save. Bingo! Thanks guys.
  11. Philleeee

Philleeee Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I spent ages looking for some software to rotate .MOV files that I had taken with my digital camera held vertically!! Doh!

I have Quicktime 10 and despite everything you read about Quicktime, I do not believe that there is now an option to rotate a .MOV file. I even bought Quicktime 7 Pro, but still couldn't find the option

It then dawned on me.....Picasa! It's where I view my photo's anyway. Sure enough, double click on the .MOV file and when it appears in the play window, you will see an option below it to rotate it

Simple
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +472
    That's very useful to know, I'll need to take a look into it.

Similarly after much searching (and stupidly pay for Collegeit only to find it's basically broken and messily crops everything) it turns out Picasa had a collage option which was exactly what I was after.

John
  13. pvsmiths

pvsmiths Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are putting a video on YOUTUBE, you can rotate it after you upload it by clicking "Edit Video"
  14. Discombobulate

Discombobulate Active Member

Ratings:
    +565
    I've just downloaded movie rotator.

When I open the file it shows the correct orientation and if I click save it says no changes made.

However if I open the file on Windows Media Player or my Apple TV the orientation is wrong.

Anybody else get this?
  15. Ronski

Ronski Member

Ratings:
    +131
    I've also just tried movie rotator, it worked perfectly. Of course you have to click the rotate button prior to saving. As an added bonus it converted the .mov to .mp4
  16. machaliek

machaliek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From discussions.nokia, I found a solution:

I was looking for the exact same software a while back and I found this. It is pretty useful and straightforward on rotating MOV, MP4, etc, and it also keeps the original video file. It works great for me.

Here is the link: Video Flip and Rotate: rotate video, flip video!

I have tested it and it can rotate video 90 degrees, 180 degrees, and 270 degrees, etc. Like it.