1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Root Your HTC Desire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'HTC Mobile Phones' started by Telemaddad, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,375
    Gary, sounds like the phone is ****ed. I would nuke the entire thing, and start again.
  2. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830

Its totally ****** and i cant apply a new ROM, its stuck on the HTC screen and wont get past it

I've copied the ROM's to a new SD card and installed them now it wont boot at all.....

Oh dear.......
  3. neuty

neuty Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,303
    Think I might not bother now, what's the significance of me just rooting mine , will it still get OTA updates? Not sure I wanna risk flashing another rom now after reading of Gary's woes....
  5. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    ITS ALIVE!!!!!

THe problem is is with my 16gb SD Card - its totally shagged.

I've just put another card it it and its started to breath again

G
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. neuty

neuty Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    You Lucky Bugger. :laugh:

I bet the old asshole was twitching for a bit.

Great news. It always feels like you have accomplished something when you bring it back to life.

neuty
  7. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,303
    Right, sod it I'm going for it... watch this space

Do you think it's the partitioning that's shagged your SD card? I've only got the 4GB card that came with it, might just leave the partitioning for now I think, one step at a time :)
  8. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    10 years as an IT tech taught me alot. I was never scared to be honest, i dont think you can brick this thing as long you are logical and dont panic.

I need a class 6-10 32gb Card anyone got a link to one i can order?

G
  9. bazfoster

bazfoster Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Anyone unable to get Google search by voice since using Froyo 2.2 1.0c ROM?
  10. neuty

neuty Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    I haven't got Google search by voice since the rom update.

Although I wouldn't use it, it would still be nice to have.

neuty
  11. neuty

neuty Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    I would do the partitioning after the rom install with Rom Manager off the Market. It has worked for me.

Now with 130mb spare. :thumbsup:

neuty
  12. neuty

neuty Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    10 years at IT has taught you well. Me 23 years as a plumber, and this type of thing still gets a bit twitchy the first time. :laugh:

I had a problem with an sd card. It was a class 2, and my new one is class 4. I am planning on getting a faster and bigger one too.

neuty
  13. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,303
    Well I've done it at last, had to do a wipe/factory reset cos it wouldn't boot the first time but after that everything was fine :)
    Thanks for all the help and advice / encouragement chaps, couldn't have done it without you
    Now to see find out what's so good about froyo I suppose, anything I should immediately do that'll put a smile on my face and make all the stress etc worth it?
    Is it worth doing the SD card partitioning or is that just tempting fate?
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  14. neuty

neuty Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    Install Rom Manager from the Market.
    Run Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
    It will ask for permisions, agree or ok.
    Run Partition SD Card in Utilities.
    Choose 512mb
    Swap size 0mb
    Your phone will then reboot.
    It will take a while to come back on.
    Open Rom Manager
    Run fix Permissions.

Reboot phone at the end. All done.

Check in Settings>SD & Phone storage. You should have around 130mb free.
    You will need to copy any save data back onto your card.

I also installed apps2sd from the Market to move apps if needed.
    Remember that some will not move as are not Froyo Ready. Your internal memory will still go down as some files have to be on phone memory.

Hope this helps.

neuty
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    Well after a fraught evening i'm back up.

Rocking a 4gb card and a fully setup Device. Learnt loads, bricked it at least 3 times, but managed to get it back.

Going to get hold of a decent 32gb class 6-10 Card in time for next weekend, when i'l do it all again. :smashin::eek::confused::D

anyway BED!!!

G
  16. Singh400

Ratings:
    +3,375
    Let me know if you find a 32GB Class 10 mate. Been looking for ages. Best I can find at the moment is a 16GB Class 10 :(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    General Tip Guys. It seems that my woes yesterday where down to NOT disconnecting the phone from my PC correctly. i.e. just pulling the cable out when in "Disk Drive" mode. If you have your device set to "Disk Drive" make sure you put it back to charge only before you disconnect it. From what i read just pulling the plug can corrupt the EXT partition (where apps2sd stores your app files)

Although i did learn that once you have rooted you can put he phone in "Mass Storage" mode and copy you ROM zip files to the SD card - all while you are still in recovery mode. So you can do the following

• Install NEW SD Card
    • format it in Recovery
    • put it in Mass Storage mode
    • Copy ROM Zips across
    • Install ROM's

Andy - glad you have done it :smashin: Remember my problems were not to do with Rooting or flashing (christ that sounds rude :laugh: ) it was a dodgy memory card.

Singh - I've looked all over the web and i don't think you can but a class 10 32Gb. So the choice will be a 16gb Class 10 or a 32gb Class 6

G
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  18. Messiah

Messiah Active Member

Ratings:
    +260
    Hi All

Wonder if someone can please help. Rooted my Desire yesterday and initially installed 'Paul’s MCR r5 with Sense from MoDaCo'. Somehow, I stupidly pulled the battery when it was doing something, had a nightmare getting it working again, but eventually got it working again with SenseFroyo 1.0c.

I'm sure for the short time I was using the initial version I saw I was able to rearrange home screens which was cool. Now I cannot do it. I have tried flashing the MCR r5 ROM but still no home screen rearrange.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.
  19. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    Surely the home screens are just a blank canvas that you can put anything you like on?

I presume your talking about being able to move each homescreen to a new location AFTER you have put things on them?? I think that's a feature of Open Home on the Market (but i may be wrong)

G
  20. Messiah

Messiah Active Member

Ratings:
    +260
    What I meant was when you go into leap view and see the small versions of all seven screens I was able to click and hold on a screen and move it to a new location. Rearrange the screens. Something I have been waiting for, got it and then lost it again :(

[Edit] Ah, was definitely in the MCR release. Just looked again at the release notes and it states

"Patched 'Rosie' (Sense) to allow click-drag homescreen rearrange when pinch-zoomed out"

Will have to try reflashing that ROM. Maybe have to do a restore of the old 2.1 first.
  21. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    I wouldn't thought you would have to restore 2.1 first. When you flash it make sure you do a data wipe that might clear it up.

G
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Messiah

Messiah Active Member

Ratings:
    +260
    Yeah, did a data wipe last time but had to reinstall everything individually as when did a batch restore within Titanium it said not enough memory after installing just a half dozen apps, but if I carry on adding manually it is OK. Very strange.

Is there any way of restoring full apps and data after a data wipe and reflash?
  23. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    I don't know it would be handy though - i added mine via Appbrain last nightv which was a little easier.

Are you using Appbrain?

G
  24. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973 Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Just want to say that for all those who like me want to have complete control of the apps on your phone then cooking your own rom in the kitchen i linked to previously is the way forward. Forget using the roms you find in xda as you can make your own based on your favourite build and just add and remove the bits you really want. If you get it wrong then just go back and bake another.

I tell you the people who make this software and then allow us all to use it for free are in my eyes top lads. They all deserve a massive round of thanks i reckon. Here hoping it remains free but they are somehow able to get a bit of revenue from it.

I used open desire as a base when i cooked mine and removed all the stuff i never use like teeter facebook and the like. I added a few bits and it came out perfect... except i saw after i flashed it that i had somehow left stocks on there. Bummer!

So i am off back to cook another and this time i intend to remove all the gristle and fat.

Try it out for yourself and you will never ever use another custom rom designed by somebody else. All the little extras like the htc modded keyboard the cool circle battery icon and the mod that allows choose your own button to bring the phone out of standby are all available as seperate zip files. It means a bit more work but like any self made meal it is more satisfying.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  25. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973 Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Using any of the back up apps like titanium or mybackup pro will restore all your data and apps. You have to pay i think to get the full versions if you want a batch restore otherwise it is manually one at a time. Also as Gary said if you sync your phone with the appbrain app it will store all the links for the apps you have installed and then you can just choose to sync and restore.

By the way i know what you mean about rearranging the home screens. I was using pays rom and i was able to do it so i would imagine a lot of the roms have the ability to do it. It may even be a feature of froyo so they all should if that be the case.

Edit:OOPS Just reread what you had written and you already know about the batch restore deal. Are you using a full version of titanium? If not that could be why it was refusing to resore them all in one go.
  26. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973 Member

Ratings:
    +262
    What was written here was wrong. rom manager does indeed partition the card for apps2sd.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  27. Singh400

Ratings:
    +3,375
    Ah ****, think I've bricked mine now. Nuked everything because it was acting up. And now it is just stuck on the "android" flashing screen.

Giving it another 5 mins, if not. Gonna start praying, HARD.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973 Member

Ratings:
    +262
    It has happened to me a few times just pull the battery and flash another rom. Or flash the same rom and try it again. In fact it happened to me half an hour ago:rotfl: and my phone is now up and running as it should. Remember that once you have the recovery option on your phone breaking it is gonna be tough (not impossible but tough).
  29. Singh400

Ratings:
    +3,375
    There is a god, I fixed it. Touching cloth for a moment there.
  30. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    You cant brick it, I was there about 30 times yesterday, i was just doing things in the wrong order, screwing up cards and keeping the back off the phone alot :)

G