Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room Thermostat Question

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by stevegreen, Sep 27, 2005.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,009
    Bit of a long shot here, but maybe someone can help.

We have our room temperature thermostat in the hallway and it is controlled by a timer model No: ET1, no idea who it's made by though.

This thermostat has a button on it labelled 'SAVE' and when the heating comes on a little light abouve it flashes. The heating does not come on until the save button is pressed.

Now this is all very well, but we want the heating to come on whilst we are out of the house to make it warm for when we come back, but, it won't come on without the button being pressed :confused:

Any idea's anyone?? the previous owners didn't leave the instructions :eek:
  2. mrtbag

mrtbag Active Member

Ratings:
    +404
    Steve, can you unscrew it off the wall, and look at the back. It must say who made it somewhere.
  3. mh123

mh123 Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Basic 'stats can be had for under a tenner in the likes of B+Q. Even the most feature-packed top of the range stats come in under £30.

Swapout is (disclaimer - "usually") really straightforward - 2 or 3 wires to transpose - job done. Don't forget to kill the mains.

Gotta be cheaper and quicker to just replace it?
  4. stevegreen

stevegreen Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,009
    I was led to believe that it was fairly new and it certainly looks that way. Don't really want to replace it as it does work, we just don't understand it :confused: :laugh:

I may screw it off the wall tonight and have a look who made it. I was posting in the hope someone had a similar one :)
  5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX Member

Ratings:
    +77
    It sounds as if it is stuck in some sort of service/programing mode. By way of you saying it has a screen i presume it is digital? If this is so it is possibly asking for a temp set-point.
    If you find out who manufacturers' it, obtain a contact number via www or a wholesaler. It is the norm for company's like Siemens and Staefa etc etc to have competent technical helplines.
    I am confident that once you have established whom made it you will have it up and running in no time.
  6. stevegreen

stevegreen Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,009
    The timer programmer is in the kitchen and we get that working fine with the hot water so that is working just fine. Are you saying that the timer communicates with the thermostat? There is no temperature control from the timer box at all, thats left to the thermostat in the hallway.

I might take pics tonight :laugh:
  7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX Member

Ratings:
    +77
    Steve.

I am aware of wireless models about on the market which being digital require some parameters to work.
    Wireless or not is irrelavent the stat must indeed be "spoken to" by the t/clock and in turn "speak to" the valve/boiler/pump etc.
    It may well be one of many things (educated guess) from simple set up to perhaps forgetting itself due to internal failing or even low battery.
  8. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,435
    I would definitely check/replace the battery if there is one, it may be as simple as being unable to save and become functional because a battery is flat.

Dave
  9. stevegreen

stevegreen Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,009
    I'm not sure it has a battery to be honest. The model number is an ES1 and it has the British Gas insignia on the front of it. I havce searched google but nothing and British Gas won't help as we don't have one of those contract things...........grrrrrrr

I have just come home, switched the heating on and nothing until I press the save button on the thermostat (the light was flashing until I pressed it, then it went solid)

Lost!
  10. Drd

Drd Member

Ratings:
    +210
    Could ES stand for Energy Star?

Edit-or Energy Saving?
  11. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,435
    You're switching the heating on already?
    It's 23 degrees in my living room right now, must be the power supply on my Philips dvd player :)

Would posting a picture of your thermostat so we can see buttons etc help?

dave
  12. ClaireW

ClaireW Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I read this thread beause we have the same thermostat and were also unsure about the Save button. However we have found the link to the instruction manual. It is a Drayton RTS5 thermostat rebranded by British gas. The save button flashes when it's special energy saver mode is on. You can read about it on http://www.invensyscontrolseurope.c...7E3-69D1AABD499A/0/D32_8RTS5Energyleaflet.pdf. The save button flashing means that it has put in a delay before it turns on the heating (this is dependent upon the room temperature and the temperature you have set as your desired temperature).
    I hope this helps other people with the same question.
  13. neilmcl

neilmcl Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    The thermostat is designed to delay the startup of the central heating, usually by about 15 minutes. Pressing the Save button overides this and turns on the heating immediately. Simply set your timer to fire up the heating 15 minutes or so before you'd normally want it.
  14. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,435
    Clever gadget, so you set turn on time say 15 mins before you need heat as neilmcl suggests. If it's very cold it turns the heating on immediately because it will take a while to bring to bring the house to temperature but if it is close to set temperature it delays turning on the heating until the last minute.

Dave
  15. Peridot

Peridot Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    But it will still take the same amount of energy to warm up the house to the set temperature so no saving :confused: :confused:
  16. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,435
    If you want the house to be at 20 C by 7.15am, and you don't care what temperature it is before 7.15am, then this thermostat will turn on the heating at the most efficient time to get your house at 20 C by 7.15am.

I share your concerns that this isn't actually a cost effective way of doing it :)

I run my house all year on a thermostat that never lets room temperature drop below 16, but kicks in to boost to 20 during the day, I think I might have heard the boiler fire up once or twice in the last week or so.

Dave
  17. Martin Rosen

Martin Rosen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Almost a year later from the original post, I have now moved into a property with this ES1 thermostat and Save button.

So to recap, I set the timer for 15 minutes before required, and then press the Save button or do I press Save first ?

I like the simple things in life ... like my brain :D