Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping NAS to partner Sonos.

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by King Louis, Sep 26, 2009.

1. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I'm just about to empty the penny jar and get myself the 250 bundle and was wondering which CD ripping NAS you lot would advise I go for to accompany it.

Ideally I'd like one which;

Dual rips
    Is both PC and Mac compatible straight out of the box
    Is/can be RAID 1 configured for back ups
    Is easy to add storage space to

That's right I want it all :D

I've looked at RipNas, Musicm8 and AVA RS3. Each has pros and cons and I can't decide, or is there anything else worth considering?

I had a look at the Ripfactory Ripserver but it doesn't seem to be still in production or very well supported.

Any thoughts?
  2. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +891
  3. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Cheers but already read that and it doesn't really help me as I'm definitely after a NAS with inbuilt ripping abilities which this doesn't address. Ta anyway.
  4. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    I've used both the Ripserver and MusicM8 (they both use the same ripping engine so operate identically) and can recommend the MusicM8. It does most of what you need (nut is only single drive so no Raid 1 out of the box but you can add a USB drive for back up) and also encodes to Flac much faster than the Ripserver. I've not used the ReadyNas so cannot offer any insight on that unit.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Filbert

Filbert Member

Ratings:
    +207
    I'd go along with the Music m8 recommendation. If you want one together with a BU250, PM me, we are doing special rates for both for AVF members.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Hmm. Was kind of down to a straight fight between RipNAS and Musicm8.

RipNAS ; Raid 1, DBpoweramp and easily expandable with optional 3tb add on. No Mac compatibility without faffing around.

Musicm8; Both Mac and PC compatible straight from the box, online remote access, but no Raid1 without separate drive. Plus I'm led to believe dbpoweramp is the better software package.

Decisions decisions :confused: :suicide:
  7. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Just out of interest, what would be the [-]best[/-] easiest way to get a WHS like the Ripnas fully integrated with a Mac?
  8. mrspoon

mrspoon Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Apple computers are catered for, see:

AppleWhsConnector - LinnDocs

(you cannot backup an Apple computer to the RipNAS, only Windows based PCs).

A few questions I would be asking when comparing RipNAS vs MusicM8:

Fanless? RipNAS is,
    Dual HDDs to internally mirror, RipNAS has,
    High quality CD transport? we advertise which drive we use, published testing results,
    Automatic updates?, RipNAS does,
    AccurateRip database?, RipNAS verifies the rips, separates tracks with errors,
    Online meta databases, RipNAS uses 4 simultaneously through PerfectMeta (2 premium: AMG & GD3)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    :eek:

I'd rather not have errors if I can avoid it!

Great sales pitch but what about the Musicm8?
  10. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    • MusicM8 uses custom software from Ripfactory with metadata from GD3 and FreeDB (cover art from Amazon) plus Tracktype.Org as a further secondary source.
    • It will do autoupdate firmware upgrades.
    • It uses Xiva/Ripsure error correction for bit-perfect ripping.
    • High quality DVD transport although Imerge do not specify the model

I've ripped several hundred CDs with Ripserver and MusicM8 and have been pleasantly surprised by it's success with tags/cover art - the percentage with incorrect or no cover art has been low, the number of "unknown" CDs has been tiny, only a few of my kids nursery rhyme CDs were not found.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. mrspoon

mrspoon Member

Ratings:
    +9
    >I'd rather not have errors if I can avoid it!

We would not lie to you by saying that every possible CD you rip will be 100% identical to the original master, because CDs get scratches or have manufacturing defects (even an unscratched CD can be un-rippable without errors).

AccurateRip has been running now for 7 years and is the only respected source of Rip verification. Over those 7 years 600 million tracks have been ripped, by two of the most popular rippers: dBpoweramp with roughly 20 million users and EAC, guessed at similar user count), from the submitted results to AccurateRip it can be seen that roughly 2% of all tracks ripped have errors. Rather than say 'RipNAS uses AccurateRip and will ensure 100% error correction", which would be lying, we say that when there is an error AccurateRip will flag it, you can then repair the CD or replace the CD.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Almost sold. Wanna do me a deal? :D
  13. mrspoon

mrspoon Member

Ratings:
    +9
    :) We do not sell RipNAS direct only through retailers.
  14. Nizzy

Nizzy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently completed a Sonos install with a RipServer system and I have to be honest the Ripserver is fantastic when I left my client he was sitting in his living room surround by CD's ripping away its an easy system to work stick the CD in the drive no need to do anything as it will rip the CD automatically then if you have your Sonos setup to update your music index automatically it will add the albums to your Music Library. Simple

Regards

Kevin
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  15. GarryPearson

GarryPearson Member

Ratings:
    +11
    We had the Xiva musicm8 in on demo a few weeks ago and its a great product backed by a large company. I'm with neilball on this one.

If you havent bought already King Louis then contact me on 01254 268850 for details of a deal we put together last week, or you can just order the deal via our website. We have the Sonos BU250 & Musicm8 bundle on offer for a short period of time at £1449 inc VAT with free delivery. www.multi-roomsystems.co.uk.

It might not be showing yet but we are an Assured Advertiser on AVForums. So mod's, please dont delete our signature!.

Cheers,
    Garry.
  16. dec-pvr

dec-pvr Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Just to throw a bit of a curveball in at the last minute - have you seen Vortexbox?

Ok, so it doesn't do RAID 1 (but you can backup to a USB external HDD) and I'm not really sure about easy to upgrade the storage but it may be worth checking out.

I built my own one (dual core atom processor, 1.5TB HDD, 2GB RAM, gigabit ethernet) and it's great for my purposes. You can buy pre-built though, as per my link above.

I believe it works with MAC/PC and it also has a support for Sonos - you can manage you Sonos box from the VortexBox web GUI.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Sonos arrived last week, which is fantastic. Lovin' it. It just needs a playmate now! I'm not any closer to deciding though, I've been a bit busy trying to find a new house too! Must get my arse in gear.
  18. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Oh yeah, already sold on that as long as the sound quality is up to scratch, :smashin:

I just need to decide on my ripping NAS first and then let funds build back up. :D

I think I'm leaning toward the RipNas. The only down side for me seems to be the lack of Mac backup. I'll just have to get a time capsule or something. :rolleyes:

Just a shame no-one seems to have much experience of it. :confused:
  19. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Sod it, just bought a RipNAS. :devil:

I eagerly await its delivery on Thursday and will let you know my thoughts after a bit of use. :hiya:
  20. Aberdeen Al

Aberdeen Al Member

Ratings:
    +11
    How you finding the Sonos & RipNAS together?
  21. King Louis

King Louis Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Apart from a dodgy cd drive which I'm getting replaced, they seem to work together perfectly. I just set my ripNAS music library look in :// ripNAS/Music, and Robert is indeed my Father's brother!
    Fab.:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  22. ukwill

ukwill Member

Ratings:
    +3
    RipNAS appears to be exceedingly bloody expensive considering that dbpoweramp is peanuts to buy and even a Synology or ReadyNas is only going to set you back a couple of hundred quid. :eek:
  23. pwood

pwood Member

Ratings:
    +147
    I intend on getting a sonos setup at some point but recon buying a NAS now and getting the hang of ripping makes sense (nothing to do with the fact i just bought a pair of RX6's:D). a ripping NAS would be nice but seems very expensive so would like some suggestions for the best one to get. Ideally budget close to £100. I have around 400 cd's to add and this would be using lossless quality. I also would like to store Itunes on the NAS but not sure how easy that is. My laptop is not ideal for this for space reasons if I use apple Lossless which i may decide is more appropriate given ipods in the house etc.

I chose sonos as the likely system as I like the interface and does not require squeeze centre installed. Most Nas devices that have squeezecentre seem expensive and Squeeze boxes seem less user friendly and i would prefer one we can all use.

searching forum seems to end up with more questions than answers. Any suggestions or advice (budget wishful thinking?) would be welcome.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  24. pwood

pwood Member

Ratings:
    +147
  25. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    No problem with using the My Book World Edition. The dual drive versions give you some additional data reliability if you use them in Raid mode (should a single drive fail), although at increased cost. You could also use an external USB drive to maintain a backup of a single drive unit - you can use free apps like SyncToy from MS to make the copy/backup function faster and easier as your data grows (these only copy over the changes to the main data rather than copying everything each time).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1