1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping DVD's to laptop

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by Tomo1971, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Tomo1971

Tomo1971 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I am not wanting to do this for illegal activities.

Thought I would get that out of the way first as thats what sime ppl could assume!!

Just bought myself a new laptop to carry round primarily while Im away from home working.

Instead of taking shed loads of dvd's with me is there any software (free hopefully) that I can rip the DVD onto my hard drive with.

In honesty, I have copied a couple of DVD's a few years back but found it too long winded and ended up making coasters of 9 out of 10 discs so gave it up as a bad job!! Thats not for me now, easier to get old DVD's from the bargain bin!

All I am looking to do is copy DVD's that I own to my hard drive in a format so that I can view them not a format to be copied.

Is there anything out there?

Thanks, Steve

Steve
  2. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Plenty of software out there that will do this but all the simple and easy to use stuff will cost something

If you dont mind paying for software then DVDFAB is very handy with lots of options which are easy to configure once you get the hang of it

If you are absolutely set on free software then DVD Decrypter and AutoGK should be enough for what you want but are a little bit more complicated to use

The forums at Doom9 have quite a few handy guides for exactly what you are looking to do, covering most of the available tools
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Tomo1971

Tomo1971 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, that does give me somewhere to start. Just to re-iterate im wanting to do this with DVD's I already own and not for p2p use etc.

steve
  4. winka45

winka45 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    As I speak I have DVDFAB doing a rip to for my Archos, You get 30 days free, so Im going to see what its like. It's perfect for me because it actually has a PVP option.
    Messed around with DVDdecrypter all day yesterday, but it rips onto my laptop but then I cant watch it, there just all different files?? Im sure the first time I used (a year ago now) it it made one image that I just clicked on and the movie started.??
  5. Goooner

Goooner Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,929
    For my Archos, I tend to use DVD Decrypter to rip them, then FairUse Wizard 2 to convert them to Xvid or Divx.

FairUse is free, and will encode anything to a file size of up to 700mb, if you want a bigger finished file, then you need the paid for version. As I found it so good and easy to use I bought it anyway, it was $20 or something, but I found the 700mb encodes, perfectly watchable on my Archos.
  6. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    I used AutoGK for a while, and before that the original GK software bundle with excellent result, as an added plus they are all free
  7. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Surely DVD Shrink is the easiest?

Stick the disc in ,open Shrink which analyses then encodes it to the Hard Drive - end of job.

If you do another disc with it just change the name of the folder it copies to when it asks to "BACKUP"?
  8. imjay

imjay Member

Ratings:
    +24
    DVDShrink is simplist and, so far, I haven't found a dvd that it won't decrypt and compress to single layer disc size though some of the sites post of some current dvds that shrink can't process. The free version of "Fab" seems to work (used it once as a test) but as previously posted "shrink" easiest application to use.

Interesting that it sounds like in the UK legal copying of dvds you have purchased is legal under "fair use" doctrine. In the US Supreme Court boneheads ruled that if content has some sort of copy blocking encryption is it illegal to make a "fair use" copy. Fortunately, the software couldn't care less!!!
    goodluck
  9. josheyb

josheyb Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The following link is a guide to how I rip DVDs to my pc. Most of it is based around allowing media centre to work with copied films, but the basics are just the same. Each film's around 5gb but DVD quality, so if space is an issue this might not be for you.

You could follow this guide and only use DVD Decryptor and VLC player if you just want the basics. - Both free legal programs.

http://www.aphavoc.co.uk/sidewy/dvd_ripping_guide.htm

(Note I didn't write most of this, just collated it from different sources.)

Hope that helps.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  10. Corey USA

Corey USA Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Be warned This nolonger legal especially in the usa NOT EVEN UNDER FAIR USE!

here is a couple of links. I will post more links as I find them.
    Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource

Click on the DMCA Analysis in the top bar right under the bold "doom9. net"

You are not violating copyright under fair use by putting it on your computer.

What your violating is the DMCA Which is circumvention of copy protection
    Thus after a ruling just made in the USA Fair Use is dead fair use and circumvention go hand in hand. they can not be separated

This also means watching DVD on a linux platform is illegal as well for it uses tech to circumvent.

RealNetworks Loses First Round In DVD Software Lawsuit - DVD , Home Theater

Real looses first round.
  11. confused88

confused88 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    After the 30 days evaluation period you can still use the DVD fab decrypter. It creaters a folder separated in audio and video. If you click the VideoTS file from the Video folder option the movie will play. It's an 1:1 copy that keeps the dvd folder structure intact.