1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Squeezebox

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by Autopilot, Aug 29, 2012.

1. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle Active Member

Ratings:
    +833
    AFAIK, there are two USBs on a Rasp Pi, so would a USB sound card fit the bill here?

FWIW, XBMC isn't quite fully mature on the Rasp Pi yet, but for audio streaming it would be fine (problems with DTS audio decoding I hear). Run it with XBMC Commander or Constellation on the IOS family devices and it would be all good.

I still prefer the marvellous Ipeng and LMS over XBMC and IOS controllers though.
  2. juggler

juggler Member

Ratings:
    +36
    A secondhand O2 joggler with squeezeos looks as though it would do the exact same job as a touch for a fraction of the cost.
  3. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +956
    Update is now in the App Store as of this morning.
  4. juggler

juggler Member

Ratings:
    +36
    ..and seems to work fine on iPhone 4S
  5. lmccauley

lmccauley Active Member

Ratings:
    +201
    I've bought my second SB Radio now (paid £120 on Amazon - they've now dropped to £100). Waiting to see if prices for the Touch will go down too.
  6. mjm2705

mjm2705 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    ... but doesn't support iPad in landscape therefore worse than useless !!!
  7. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    Down to £170 at PCWorld
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. pakolainen

pakolainen Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hopefully this isn't the end. i've just purchased 2 Duet's and 2 powered speakers for them. works like a dream and off the iPhone, even the wife was able to use it...
  9. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Active Member

Ratings:
    +625
    I bought a Squeezebox Touch recently too and I love it, particularly with the Android app to control it from my tablet. It is a great little device that does exactly what I wanted, and I'm wondering whether I too should buy another one while stocks last.
  10. lmccauley

lmccauley Active Member

Ratings:
    +201
    Is that in-store?

I can't see it on their website.
  11. lmccauley

lmccauley Active Member

Ratings:
    +201
    Yeah, I use my Android app and she uses her iPhone app to control our 2 radios. Really nice interfaces.
  12. everett_psycho

everett_psycho Active Member

Ratings:
    +898
    This is a pain, I've only just started playing with Squeezebox and looking do the radios and they are being taken off the shelves.

I'm looking in to running squeeze plug on my raspberry pi to stream music to it using my phone if anyone else was contemplating going down the route of using these around the house
  13. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    Was there the other day but now seems to have disappeared - probably the price for the last few and now all gone
  14. redmarkred

redmarkred Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Just wanted to ask a general question. I've heard the news that Logitech are no longer making the Squeezebox family.

I assume though that even if they pull the plug on mysqueezebox.com I will still be able to use my Touch (& Radios) through LMS on my server. I listen to my own FLAC files, stream from Spotify (using the Triode app) and listen to some internet radio. Would I lose any of this?

I'm hoping therefore my only problem would be if any of my devices broke I would not be able to buy a new one!
  15. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    No reason why it will not continue to work as you running all of the software in local mode. I am going to make backup copies of the downloads though just in case, however I am sure they will still be available out there somewhere.
  16. redmarkred

redmarkred Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Cool that's what I thought and was hoping! Yes I agree might be wise to make backup copies of the downloads. :)
  17. delback

delback Member

Ratings:
    +19
    As others have stated, your local LMS based system will continue to work if mysqueezebox.com disappears.

Regarding your other concern:
    In an earlier post in this thread (post #23) I stated my intention to try and build a DIY Squeezebox using a Raspberry Pi, based on Squeezeslave or Squeezeplay. In that post I said that if I didn't succeed, someone else would. Well, Triode has gone one better and developed a software player called Squeezelite. See Announce: Squeezelite - a small headless squeezeplay emulator for linux (alsa only). It works beautifully on a Pi. The only possible issue for some is that it is headless and so you can't control it with an IR remote. You need to use the web interface, or a Controller, or one of the smartphone apps (eg. iPeng, etc).

So if your hardware players do die, you can put one together for under £50 - hook it up to a USB DAC and you'll get a high quality player. (The experience of most people playing with the Pi - myself included - is that its onboard audio output is not good enough).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. everett_psycho

Ratings:
    +898
    How good is that squeeze lite at syncing with the radios? I've installed squeeze plug and while it's pretty good the sync is just that annoying little bit out to ruin the whole experience, it would be fine if you had the radio on one floor and the pi on another but in our flat you can hear the other player and it drives me nuts. I'd like to try using only pi's to see how they fare but don't want to spend money on them as I don't actually need them in this flat at the moment
  19. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    If folks do buy 'spare' devices, I'd suggest registering them, upgrading the firmware (not to UE Radio, obviously :facepalm:) and then storing. Commissioning the Touch is a PITA without mysqueezebox.com.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  20. redmarkred

redmarkred Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks that's good to know! :)
  21. frankie13

frankie13 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    so can i still use my duet to connect to internet radio only, im confused with all these rumours or do ineed to go out and buy something else
  22. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Logitech are unlikely to shut MySqueezebox.com down for at least a year while there are still Touches being sold. So no need to panic. If/when they do then you will still be able to get Internet radio via a local server.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. everett_psycho

Ratings:
    +898
    My radios still seem to work, I think the main thing is they aren't making the products anymore, it will be a while until they completely drop all the functions, I just don't think they will add any new ones
  24. delback

delback Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I don't have a Radio, but I have tried syncing Squeezelite running on a Pi with a Transporter and a SB2. The sync seems pretty damn good to me - no discernable lag. I tried with the Pi's onboard audio (no use for serious listening) and a cheap USB DAC (PCM 2704 based) - sync was fine with both. (I haven't yet tried with the PCM2704's SPDIF output driving a traditional DAC).

Of course, it's possible that different USB DACs will give slightly different results. And Squeezelite running on other hardware might not sync the same. Also note that I did my testing with Squeezelite running as root. My understanding is that by doing this, it is able to get itself scheduled as a realtime process, which could help with syncing.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  25. everett_psycho

Ratings:
    +898
    Thanks I'll look into trying this, nothing I've tried on android phones or the pi seems to be right so far, ours not the end of the world but it would be nice if they synced properly
  26. MartinH32

MartinH32 Member

Ratings:
    +120
    I'm just about to purchase a Touch but understand for things like Spotify you need to download the app from mysqueezebox.com.

If this website vanishes due to the unit being discontinued, will I still be able to use Spotify on the unit?
  27. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Active Member

Ratings:
    +275
    Forget the official app and use Triode's 3rd party app.

I would assume (but not certain) that the community would host their own version of mysqueezebox in the event of Logitech closing the server much like the TiVo Series 1 in the UK at present :smashin: