Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridley Scott's - Prometheus (2012)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by raigraphixs, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,263
    I'm not a huge fan of the idea of a prequel, but the involvement of Giger and Scott at least has me intrigued. While I think it's deplorable that Hollywood won't invest in original ideas, I just prefer to remain cautiosly optimistic rather dismissing a project long before it hits the screen. When Cameron "ruined the mystery" of where the eggs came from in Aliens, not too many people were complaining. In any case, the original Alien strongly hints at "spacey jokey" xenomorph hybrids and btw. that was a hilarious pun there j1mbo. You should be a stand-up comedian.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I don't think he ruined the mytery of the eggs, if anything the queen adds more mystery especially in terms of an engineered life form.

It could also still be a natural creature but now with added social skills in the sense that it can work in a hive and understands that the queen is important.

The queen raises a lot of questions.
  3. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    I was being ironic. I think Cameron enhanced they mythology with Aliens, but had there be message boards then, speculating about a "queen" there might have been similar objections.

The problem with the alien sequels after Aliens was that they just repeated a forumla instead of exploring the mythology further and this film hopefully will do that. I always thought that the xenomorphs ability to take on their hosts characterisitic had never been properly explored. The dog/ox alien in Alien3 ultimately was not much different from what we had seen before, apart from that occasionally it ran around on all fours.

Nothing can ruin Alien in retrospect for me. In the end these films stand on their own and I never think, what a shame they all die a horrible death in the 3rd one, when I watch Alien or Aliens.
  4. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,483
    I liked the 3rd. Died a horrible death in the 4th though.
  5. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    oh ok.

I think Alien3 adds maybe 2 or 3 things to the mythology...

1. An animal such as a dog can be face hugged and the subsequent xenomorph variation
    2. the alien will not attack a host who is carrying a queen
    3. the inner jaws of the xenomorph are powerful enough to penetrate straight through a human skull :) I don't think we saw this in the previous two.

Edit: just notice you edited your post to include the dog/ox thing
  6. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Remember Harry Dean Stanton ?
  7. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    yes but I don't recall the jaw coming out the back of his head. I will rewatch.
  8. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Well it penetrates his skull. I hardly think that the detail of it coming out on the other side is "adding to the mythology". The creature had been set up as incredibly strong and the perfect killing machine in the first film.
  9. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    :laugh:

Maybe it doesn't add to the mythology but it is a small detail that Fincher felt the need to add in and it gives the creature more power. The action is very quick in Alien3 like there's no effort at all and I can imagine all the complex muscles... and then BAM!.

Anyway I just watched the 'here's jonesy' scene again and there is definately no alien jaw exit wound... amazing on bluray, even just dipping in got me scared.
  10. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    ...and I didn't say there was. It seems you attribute an incredible amount of importance to a minor detail that was merely an elaboration on what had been done already.

The point of what people say in forum discussions often gets lost when someone gets hung up about a minor detail.
  11. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,599
    It's a proboscis not an 'inner jaw'.
  12. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm not hung up on it. I'm just pointing out something that Alien3 added to our overall understanding of the creature. Another thing about Alien 3 is the amount of blood and the general messiness of the deaths. In the first film (theatrical version) the Alien takes it's victims away somewhere, we do not see what it does with the bodies. In Aliens victims are taken to be impregnated. What a creature does with it's prey says a lot and in Alien 3 it clearly likes to make a mess.
  13. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Are you for real ? :laugh:
  14. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    What can I say... I like details :) ;)
  15. ashc91

ashc91 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if its directed by ridley scott it should be pretty dam gd, up on top with gladiator quality hopefully ;)
  16. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,601
    - Charlize Theron finally joins Prometheus

Michael Fassbender talks Alien series connection

Fassbender who as reported earlier is playing an Android [Artificial Person] in the film gave an interview to MTV

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:622003" width="712" height="419" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=vid%3D622003%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A622003" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed>

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  17. Lord_Mandark

Lord_Mandark Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Space Jockey and 'giant head' confirmed :) Taken from Prometheus Latest: Space Jockey and Giant Head Pilot Confirmed - Sky Movies HD

''The mysterious 'space jockey' skeleton that appeared in the opening scenes of Alien is being designed as an eight-foot animatronic for the sci-fi thriller Prometheus.

An insider revealed to Sky Movies that the character is being designed under the guidance of original Alien designer HR Giger.

And it's not the only weird alien being designed by Ridley Scott, who is pressing ahead with his plans to depict a giant head piloting a ship, although that particular effect is likely to be CGI.

Ridley Scott on set of AlienThe movie was originally a prequel to director Ridley Scott's Alien, but has since developed into a project in its own right after Lost creator Damon Lindelof developed the script.

But while Scott and Lindelof attempt to distance their project from the Alien franchise, it seems the "Space Jockey" will appear, alive and kicking, in the movie.

There has been a huge amount of speculation over the past months as to what will and won't appear in the movie, but an insider told Sky Movies, "I’ve had further confirmation that the Space Jockey creature is definitely in Prometheus and has been built as an eight foot animatronic.

"I’ve also had it confirmed that HR Giger is working on the project but only in an advisory capacity. By the way, people are going to be in for a shock when they sit down to watch Prometheus and there’s an enormous semi-human head piloting a spaceship."

It's not just the pre-production that's taking shape, as the casting department continue to find the right acting talent for the project. Noomi Rapace (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) and Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) look set to join Oscar-winner Charlize Theron on the set, while Scoot McNairy, who recently found internation success with his part in the low-budget thriller Monsters, is also said to be up for a role.''
  18. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    interesting, heard about the giant head before but not that it was semi human
  19. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged Active Member

Ratings:
    +527
    Still slightly confused. Is the actual 'Alien' going to be in it?
  20. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,483
    I'd suspect it will be hinted at but not the focus. Otherwise how could they "distance" Prometheus from the Alien series and then have the Alien in it? More likely the Alien will get a brief cameo, like in Predator 2.
  21. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I reckon you'll see the creature that the 'Alien' originates from
  22. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged Active Member

Ratings:
    +527
    I think the Space Jockey's bio-enginereed the Alien as a weapon to be dropped from their bomber ship as seen in the original Alien. I believe that was Ridley's original idea. Maybe we will see the results of their 'weapon experiment' at the end of the movie. Would tie in nicely.
  23. Bizness

Bizness Member

Ratings:
    +211
    There's a lot of detail on the script(s) in this month's Empire for those interested. I read it over the weekend and can now remember very little of it at all, apologies.
  24. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,601
    More details/rumors for Prometheus. Brenden Connelly at Bleeding Cool has talked to one of his sources who is supposedly close to the film...

How does Ridley Scott’s Prometheus fit into universe of the Alien films?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  25. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,599
    I'm hoping they concentrate less on the Alien and more on the 'space jockey' species, where the Alien is a subtext to a larger story.
  26. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I hope the 'space jockeys' (or whatever they'll be called) don't talk. I want them to be silent, and no subtitles either.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  27. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    I'm not sure Ridely Scott reads these forums. :hiya:
  28. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    As this is a R.Scott project I reckon 'Skinjob' is more befitting.... :D
  29. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,483
    Maybe he does??? :rolleyes:
  30. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,601
    British actors Idris Elba, Sean Harris and Kate Dickie added to project.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.