1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ricco's Home cinema gallery

Discussion in 'Members' Home Cinema Gallery' started by riccojames, Aug 12, 2007.

1. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone.

I have a couple of pictures below that show my basic set up.

My Optoma HD70 projector gets used everyday for evening television whether it is for soap (putting my misses first!) movies or Play station.

Our Philips 26PFL5522D is used for daytime telly which is rare and sometimes just used to listen to while pottering around the house.

The Denon 1706 amplifier gets used for TV, DVD, PS3 etc while I am around to switch the settings on the remote controls etc .

Play station 3 for me has enormous potential with streaming from my PC and does usually get used with the HD70 projector. I have also installed Yellow dog Linux to the play station 3 that ultimately gives me better internet use, large screen! :smashin: :D

Virgin Media V Plus Box is ok, only had this for a few months and to be honest rather unsure of the usage. There is only the BBC HD preview broadcasted in HDMI other than the PAY PER VIEW channels which seems a waste of money to me. Other than this we can record some television programmes! :rolleyes:

I have bought a switch but need to change this to one that works! I need a 2 HDMI in and 2 HDMI out switch that will allow me to have the versatile use needed. *Looking for some advice for this currently. ;)

I am looking for advice on a few things here.

1. Controlling the devices is a nightmare for my partner and to be honest thought this would have been easier once we had the amp.
    2. Again controlling the output to a TV or PJ
    3. Getting the best out of the sound

Regards
    Ricco

Attached Files:

2. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, when I see the pics I realise I may need to update something. LOL

I am also looking for information to if a screen is going to be worth while. My room is approx 15*15ft square and get around 110" screen size from my HD70. Before anyone does say anything... yes I know it is not in the middle! LOL ;)
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  3. WilliamTM

WilliamTM Member

Ratings:
    +35
    My biggest suggesion to you would be to get a Logitech Harmony remote.

I have the 525 model, and it's great. Saves the need for three remotes (at the moment), but once I get a PS3, Xbox 360 (Elite), and an HTPC, it'll be a total of 6 remotes. :D

Otherwise, nice setup. I don't really like the "missing paint" on the wall though, it looks a bit tacky. I have the same IKEA stand as you though. :)
  4. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Is this the remote here
    The Ikea stand rocks, this i about the only one I could find that was low enough to keep under my PJ screen and still hide cables behind. ;)

The paint was supposed to be tempo but it is really not that noticed in the room as the PJ is normally on when we are in there. The camera has also blown the white up big time... its not that noticable.

I am looking for a screen but not sure which is going to be best. I would idealy like it to be slightly hidden behind my ikea unit and then when in use pulled up rather than down. There is one in a local dixons shop which is £129 for 92" screen but this will mean I lose over 12" of width which I think would be a bummer. Maybe I will ask "can I try it" to see how much better it is first.

I have been tempted to create a boxed frame on that wall like some of the real enthusiasts have done and box everything in nicely, it is a lovely big room and not sure if the space would be missed.
  5. Arild50TV

Arild50TV Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Ricco!
    How do you connect Philips 26PFL5522D to your Denon 1706 amplifier - in order to use your hi-fi speakers?

I've just purchased the Philips LCD, and want to connect it to my Denon DRA-585RD stereo receiver. It only has phono-connections.
  6. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, I use the optical for sound that comes from the Virgin box or PS3 :thumbsup:
  7. Morb

Morb Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Hi nice room and setup you have there.

I would second a harmony remote as i just got one a couple of weeks ago and it has made using my system a breeze for anyone. I have the harmony 885 and it has made life so much easier. Setup is easy, the activities functions make everything simple and i don't think you could possibly find anything it can't control. I even managed to download the remote functions for my cd player which had a broken remote so now no longer have to control it manually.

For improving your sound the most obvious thing i could see is how you have it all positioned. Your front right speaker is obstructed by your sofa, not sure if you have a sub and its position nor the rears position.

My suggestion would be to rearrange your room if possible. Mount you tv to the wall, get an electric screen for your projector or reduce the current size so you can comfortably mount the tv below. If you can move all your equippment to one side or the other if not in the middle under the tv. Search for setup guides on how to position speakers then experiment following the guides and trying different positions. If you don't have a sub get one, your budget will decide what would best suit you but if you can afford it the £500 region will put you in some very good company but it will make such a huge change to your sound you wouldn't belive.

Hope i helped but for more specific answers you would be better posting in the approriate sections for advice.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Morb :)

I will look for one of these once I get my next work bonus as I think you are right, this will make a great difference especially when my partner decides to try turning things on her self! :rotfl: :D

The right sofa has a big cushion which does get moved to watch telly etc the sub is in the left corner just in front of the speaker, but was not that expensive. If I recall I think it was around £60. :rolleyes: My speakers are set up pretty well (I think) and I have included an overall layout below, while I go get some real pics now.

As for the electric screen I really do need to see the difference because now since changinf from a 4:3 native PJ the widescreen has made a little bit of an impact where the white 'painted' area is now a little more obvious. However, saying this does not really bother us too much as it normally cant be seen due to the PJ being on! :D :thumbsup:

But yes I would love to get a screen but at this point I think the cost is too much for me. I would not want to lose any size as this looks great this big. LOL It currently goes 109" wide from side to side (not diagonally)

Once again thank you for the feedback... I will go get more pics now of the speaker layout.

Attached Files:

9. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to move to the next step for my home cinema...

1. Mount the Samsung television in the centre of the wall and move over the IKEA unit to match
    2. Buy an electric projector screen that would work automatically from the OPTOMA HD70
    3. Change the light switches from manual dimmers to remote controlled dimmers
    4. Buy a Harmony remote to control everything!

Questions...

What is my best choice for an electric projector screen at a cost of less than £200? My screen size is 125 inches diagonally (110 inches across the top)

Which light switches will work with this light ? (Beryll Quad spotlight – IKEA)

:cool:
  10. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    bump
  11. Lewis123

Lewis123 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Please for the love of god take the stickers off the front of the TV!! ;)

Other than that I think it looks good. Good to see a good old Oppli, wish they still made them...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am not happy with the sound I am getting at the moment. The front sound seems great but very rarely do I get that cinema surround sound feeling that I was expecting.

What am I doing wrong, my Virgin box is optical and I set my amp on 'direct' for sound output. But when I watch a film I am just not that sure this is all set up right.

Could it be that I need to change my amp to a HDMI newer version to get a better surround sound? If so which one should I look for and how much would mine be worth for trading?

TIA
    Ricco
  13. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
  14. binbag

binbag Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Go back to basics. It's all about positioning and balance. Square rooms can be a nightmare with standing waves all over the shop. Get a sound meter and a calibration disc and be willing to follow its lead no matter how off it may seem on your amps settings (especially with the sub).

You are giving yourself a hill to climb by having the screen offset to the speakers and walls. Surround sound is a trick that your ears and eyes play on your brain and if its having to do the work to marry the two together then its not getting the joke. Even if its a real PITA to sort out its always worth doing; moreso with a FP setup.

You'll always be able to spend your way into a better sound but fixing the problems before reaching for your wallet may mean that you don't have to or that when you do you'll get more out of what you've paid for.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. ahaydock

ahaydock Member

Ratings:
    +130
    Looking good :thumbsup:

How about a Logitech Harmony remote? The Harmony One is a good choice...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Picture is now set to the centre of the wall with the speakers moved slightly and are now evenly placed each side of the front wall.
    The Onkyo TX – SR606 uses HDMI for sound and vision from the PS3 and the V-Media V+ Box.

Blackout Roman blinds have helped make the ease of blacking out the room to get the best out of the projector but sadly I still think that the ‘Painted wall’ is now a weak link.

I went to PCWORLD just for a printer and saw they now have a Sound & vision centre. They had HD20 Full HD Home Cinema Projector + DE-GWII9106E 106" Electric Projector Screen for £1,049.94 (SALE PRICE) I had a go of the PS3 that was hooked up in there and thought the picture on the Onkyo screen was definitely more vibrant than I have with the room blacked out!

The screen on show is the Optoma DE-GWII9106E 106" Electric Projector Screen which has a 106 inch diagonal screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 1.8 screen gain which did give an amazing picture compared to my slightly washed out look. I must say that the PJ was not the Optoma and will check again today when I revisit to have another ‘look see’ and update this post. Is this a quality screen and therefore giving this vibrant colour look?

Their HD20 which is clearance stock had a missing remote so I guess I could get more off for a replacement direct from Optoma. Question I have is, would a Harmony remote pick up on all the remotes needs if I was to just buy one of them instead?

Picture updates coming later and all replies are greatly appreciated before I go out and spend money unnecessarily! :lease:

Ricco

PCWORLD LINK FOR OFFER: OPTOMA HD20 Full HD Home Cinema Projector + DE-GWII9106E 106" Electric Projector Screen at cheap prices | PC World
  17. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will this work with the HD20 as it is not listed in the pcworld webpage that does show a load of the Optoma PJ's that it will work with.

TIA
    Ricco
  18. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    The Harmony will work and control any AV kit or Projector you throw at it, they are superb. Have a look in my thread and you will see the Harmony One. The link is in my sig at the bottom.

Good Luck.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phil, I got back about an hr ago from the pcworld store, who agreed that I 'test' the clearance PJ and see if it works with the harmony 555 or return.

After a 10 minute shuffle at home I find the answer to my biggest question... Yes its the wall. The HD20 gave NO better picture colour or depth to colours and image was NOT IMHO any better - Even tried Batman Blueray etc. Colours still looked washed out and depths were not there. I can not comment on how good the HD20 would be with a screen yet as I still can not find one locally to try. I would certainly say get one if you are looking for an alround performer.

Now, goner register this remote anyways and see how good it is. £50 seems good if it will do what I want. 1st problem is it gives an error with Windows 7 - so, I will be back soon with an update..

:cool:
  20. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, after a small compatibility issue (which I clicked though) the Harmony 555 allowed me to input the devices on the pc with a walkthrough.

I see I need an adapter of somekind for the PS3(will look later) but the HD70 PJ was found fine and so was the Onkyo A/V. However mystery is which Samsung model is my V+BOX !!! Nothing that gives this away on the box to see.

Will have to hit and miss test - lol ;)
  21. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Doh, yes there was such a small sticker on the rear of the V+Box that I missed with the model number, after this input it found the device ok and seems to be working fine. :p

I am so far really happy with the software and the remote hardware which seems to work with all I have tested so far. :smashin:

Now I am back to the Screen for the quality I am missing. Anyone know of local (Cardiff) stores that might be able to help? :cool:

TIA
    Ricco
  22. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    Its the Harmony adaptor for a PS3 that you need mate, this will also let your Harmony control all 52 functions of the PS3. I have one and it works wonders.

Once you get the hang of the Harmony's they really are a very clever remote.

Good luck setting up mate and keep us all informed.

If you go to the "Remote" section of the forums, there are many threads on the Harmony's, if you get stuck on anything, just give "Logicel" a shout, he knows the Harmony's inside out.

Regards

Phil.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. riccojames

riccojames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All done nicely, will say that the 50 bucks is VERY well spent on this Harmony 555 remote, not to mention the thought of our recent addition to the family (JoJo the Labrador puppy) chewing all the original remotes that he can find idling around!!! LOL

Some how I can not get the remote to tell him to stop chewing on my staircase carpet or to stop eating my flowers, delayering my kitchen floor, eat my garden gate... need I go on, DOH! :laugh: