Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoreing backup to a new PS3 Slim...a different problem

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by zaphoduk, Sep 2, 2009.

1. zaphoduk

zaphoduk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so i did my research before doing the backup from my PS3 Phat and i discovered that whilst it will backup everything, it will only restore photos and profiles to a different PS3. This didn't really concern me that much, i can always re-download my PSN stuff. So a full backup was taken and when i got my shiny new PS3 Slim, plugged it in, it created the default "User1" account and i went to restore.

The restore did a format and pulled some stuff across from the backup. Now my old PS3 had my main account, my partners account and a Japanese and US sub account to get stuff from their PSN stores. For some reason, the restore did not pull across my main account, only my partners and the 2 sub accounts. The 'User1' account was still there, which is odd seeing as it formatted before doing the restore and i know for a fact there was no User1 account on my backup. On top of this, the accounts have an asterisk '*' next to the names which weren't there before.

I managed to retrieve my main account over the net by typing in the password and email address again. This is now the only account without an '*' at the beginning of the name.

I deleted the User1 account as i assumed the PS3 had designated this as the admin account. It went, but then renamed one of my other accounts to '*User1<old account name>'

What in the world is going on here? How do i designate my main account as the admin account? How do i get rid of those asterisks?
  2. TH1882FC

TH1882FC Member

Ratings:
    +64

Have you tried downloading from the japanese store as although the format pulled across the japanese account, when i actually tried to download the afrika theme from the japanese store it asked me to register again, just seems odd that i can access the store but not download. - maybe this is what the asteriks indicate?
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. zaphoduk

zaphoduk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Another symptom of it not restoring my main profile is that i've lost all my save games. For most games this isn't a biggie but i was about 15 hours into Infamous and really don't feel like going back to the start again.

Is there any way you can just restore save games from a full backup? Or do you have to do a full restore again? Although given that it didn't restore my main profile the first time round i don't see it working the second time.
  4. Sephiro

Sephiro Member

Ratings:
    +45
    The same thing happened to me when I backed up my US 60GB and tried to restore it to my new US slim a few days ago. I had three profiles on the original but when I restored it to the slim I ended up with one profile called "User_1" and the other two with their original names plus an asterisk beside then.

When I looked into the "User_1" profile it actually was the profile that seemed to be missing it's just that the name was wrong (i.e. it contained all the saves for that profile) so I changed it back. I also fixed the accounts with the asterisk beside them by renaming them too - just go to the profile icon once you are logged on with each profile and press triangle to get the option to rename it.

I think the phat consoles saved some of the profile details in onboard flash memory together with the some of the firmware, whereas the slims seem to entirely run off the hard disk so I'm assuming it's a bug in the backup system relating to this. I've since restored the same backup to the original 60GB console after swapping the HD out and it worked fine so it's definitely an issue relating to the different hardware.
  5. JojoBar

JojoBar Member

Ratings:
    +20
    It's not a hardware issue, IMO it's a paranoid policy against software piracy.
    The same for me between to distinct 60GB models (after refurbished exchange).
    The backup/restore process should be complete (but trophies) only when changing HDD in the same PS3.
  6. joseberrio

joseberrio Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey i got a question it may seem a little silly, I'm about to exchange my Phat ps3 for the Ps3 slim, and as of now idc about any game saves or anything like that because thats a minor thing, but i wanna know if i return my phat ps3 and i get the ps3 slim, can i just log in into my account and play with my old account that i used to have on the Phat ps3? thank you, i didnt want to open a new thread for this similar question.