1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restless (BBC)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by raigraphixs, Jun 26, 2012.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,730
    A two-part drama adaptation of William Boyd’s best-seller, Restless. Will be directed by acclaimed theatre director, Edward Hall (Spooks), and produced by Emmy award-winner, Hilary Bevan Jones (State Of Play, Girl In The Cafe) and Paul Frift.

Filming of Restless begins this summer in South Africa and the UK, and is due for transmission on BBC One, late 2012.

Hayley Atwel, Rufus Sewell, Michelle Dockery, Michael Gambon, Charlotte Rampling

What becomes of your life when everything you thought was solid and certain about it turns out to be a fantastically complicated lie? This happens to Ruth Gilmartin (Michelle Dockery) when, one day in 1976, her mother Sally (Charlotte Rampling) suddenly tells her she has been living a double life. She is not respectable Sally Gilmartin but in fact
    Eva Delectorskaya, a spy for the British Secret Service who has been on the run
    for 30 years.

Screenwriter and author, William Boyd;
    Producer, Hilary Bevan Jones;
    Director Edward Hall;
  2. meltonboy

meltonboy Member

Ratings:
    +170
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +7,730
  4. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,101
    A quick reminder for all that this starts tonight. Looks good.
  5. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +7,730
    No starts Thursday 27th, 9pm (tomorrow)

Miranda, Mrs Brown, tonight in that time slot
  6. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,101
    :blush: Oops, time is running away with me (or not it seems).
  7. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +7,730
    Excellent first part, didn't expect it to be that long [no pun], look forward to the final part tonight
  8. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +7,730
    Happy to say the 2nd part was just as high quality!

Just annoyed Hayley Atwell did not get a chance to undress before she was stopped!

The ending;
    We discover Romer was a double agent, shame we did not see more of the things he could had done, just the map alone was not really enough.

Also why did not a sniper just killed Sally Gilmartin / Eva Delectorskaya from the trees outside her house early on, then i assume she is not a big threat.

It the kind of series that needs a 2nd viewing to pick up on little things
  9. meltonboy

meltonboy Member

Ratings:
    +170
    I really enjoyed both parts and i had to go back to a scene to get the ending(s) straight in my head !

I still wonder why wartime Eva
    felt she had to kill the chap with the gun / pillow. Sure, he had told Romer aboutthe meeting, but if she had left him alone, there would have been no issue, surely ?

Good viewing :)

MB
  10. SimonTW

SimonTW Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just finished watching the second part, and am not quite sure what to think of the ending. Most of the loose ends were cleared up, but the very final scene seemed to raise even more questions.

For those who have watched it:

How did you interpret the final scene (with Eva in her garden)? And was it Romer who arranged the "suicide" in the first part (the guy Morris is supposed to meet)?
  11. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +7,730
    As for the final scene with Eva using the binoculars, i assume she will always be 'looking over her shoulder' to speak, so it's never over.

But i still don't understand the threat to her, i guess they are just watching her, as they could have killed her at any time
  12. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,101
    I thought the man in the woods was trying to confirm if she was the one they were after. The fact they (maybe) killed that other women in the wheelchair suggests action was taken. Presumably if whoever it was in the woods was out to get her, then they are still out to get her?

All in all an excellent piece of TV drama though!
  13. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Highlight of the festive period. Watched them back-to-back and the 3 hours flew by. Gripping, tense and extremely well acted. If you haven't seen it then you owe it to yourself to do so on iPlayer whilst it's still there. :smashin:

Regarding the ending:
    My interpretation is that there was no real threat and it was just Eva's paranoia and/or she concocted it to get her daughter to flush out Romer so she could get her revenge. Once a manipulative spy, always a manipulative spy.
  14. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,687
  15. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Surprising - there doesn't seem to be a DVD or Blu-ray release of this title scheduled? :confused:
  16. Mshulla

Mshulla Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I agree with this interpretation of the ending, at least in part.

I don't believe she concocted the threat she felt, she was just paranoid. It was clear that Romer wasn't aware of any threat to her when she and her daughter confronted him in his home.