Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resistance 3 PS3 Review

Discussion in 'Video Game Reviews' started by Stephen Carter, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Stephen Carter

Stephen Carter AVF Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +412
    Resistance 3

Insomniac Games send the Resistance series off with a bang

Reviewed by Ste Carter

Read the review
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  2. ahoy0

ahoy0 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Good review Carter91 but I don't think I will be buying this t game. I am too busy playing Oblivion through again, waiting for Skyrim t.

Also
  3. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    Cheers mate, if you don't buy it then at least make sure you play it at least in the future it's a brilliant title to send off the series.

Don't blame you about Skyrim though, I doubt I'll have much of a life when that lands.
  4. ahoy0

ahoy0 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, me too unfortunately.
  5. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    If there was any game to lose it to it would be this though :)
  6. prvjoker

prvjoker Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Apart from the innovative weapons (which unfortunately aren't matched by the A.I), this series is just COD with different skins. Very scripted. Very linear.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  7. ahoy0

ahoy0 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I highly doubt that!

Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas stopped me from answering the phone, "**** 'em" I would yell out while exploring and completing quests.

I have been playing FPS since I started playing games back in 1999 (Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear, first game I ever played, still a classic in my mind). The only thing that changes in First Person Shooters is the engine and/or the graphics, it is all the same ****.

Halo 1 was great, 2 + 3, same ****. Right down to the storyline. This game series seems the same, fight some aliens that are trying to take over earth then you shoot alot of them and win. Although, judging from your review and this

[ QUOTE ]
    [ BACKSLASH UNQUOTE]

you obviously enjoyed it or are a fan of the series or bias, I've just had enough of the same FPS games over and over again (especially when I pay my hard earned dollars for the same game over and over again)

I had an Xbox 360 till the Red Ring of Death receipt was handed to me. Sent it off to Microsoft who sent the console back within 2 weeks, so i must commend them on that, but the laser went 3 weeks later...

Running Windows XP, but if Sony make an OS well...
  8. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    I meant it would be Skyrim to lose it to not Res 3, sorry my bad :S

But i agree with the shooter genre points though, too many games are following rigid patterns now and try to be the next COD or Battlefield rather than bringing something new and fresh to the table. It begs the question though, what could be brought to the party in the future?
  9. ahoy0

ahoy0 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Never played any of the Resistance games but that was exactly my impression of the whole series.

A launch game that became a series.
  10. ahoy0

ahoy0 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Easily answered.

An independent gaming production company, not burdened by units sold or bloody silly magazine review percentages.

Financing is the only problem but hopefully there are ambitious game designers out there to take us to the next generation of gaming.

(Playstation 72?)
  11. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    That is an ongoing trend unfortunately yes given that the market is dominated by the big players and indie develoeprs dont have the required funding to enter easily.

These days though, shooters get compared to each other far too often and its hard to distinguish what makes a defying title. Alien shooters are cliched now, WW2 shooters have been done to death and nearly have modern shooters.
  12. ahoy0

ahoy0 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What do you think then?
  13. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    What do i think should be brought to the shooting genre is that what you mean?
  14. ahoy0

ahoy0 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Brainstorm.

Give it too us.

(Do not include aliens or Spartans or alien cross bred Spartans or Uncharted treasure held by alien werewolf spartan treasure hunters who happen to be vampires)
  15. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    Its funny you should mention this because its something that will be discussed in the upcoming podcast probably so look out for that in the future ;)

Off the top of my head though im not sure i could suggest any serious ones other than a totally newly reimagined concept of shooters. Something like a game being based around a civil war, something based around english/british shooting as opposed to it always being americans etc.

There arent enough gangster shooters or FPS for that matter i think so some more of them wouldnt go amiss in my opinion.
  16. ahoy0

ahoy0 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Great concept. Great idea too.

E-mail Bethesda

Subject: Great Game Idea

Make a game about the War of Independence, but from the British side.

Another game, this might be considered immoral, but make a WWII game from the view point of the Nazis, I mean they were forced to do the atrocious acts they committed, through the hierarchy that is government (Hitler). All part of war I guess. You can call it 'Unconventional Warfare : 1' and make 12 sequels on the same console within 24 months
  17. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    Ha I know, I'm in the wrong sector of the industry should be a story/creative writer, not reviewing.

I think I'll stick to what I know for now though I think.
  18. Dannyman1992

Dannyman1992 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    good to know that you recommend it looks like this is another game to add to the never ending list recently ha
  19. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    Very good game mate that all shooter fans should play at some point. Looks very good and has a good storyline despite having a weak ending :/
  20. Dannyman1992

Dannyman1992 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah good to know man. Yer it seems both consoles exclusives have lacked a bit in the storyline department. I loved gears of war 3 but i was expecting something more from the storyline but it just sort of ended with nothing really
  21. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    Never been a fan of GoW tbh with you, bad I know but it's well known I have a bit of a distaste for it on the podcast (check them out btw). One exclusive that has an excellent storyline is Uncharted 3, my review should be up in the ps3 section later on tonight so keep your eye out for that too. You need that on your list if it's not already :)
  22. Dannyman1992

Dannyman1992 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ahhhhh this games list is killing me but yer i will definately check out the review i heard that game is 'one to buy' and it was one of the main reasons for me buying a ps3 last week haha
  23. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    Yeah definitely a must buy, good discussion about it on the upcoming podcast out on the 14th :)
  24. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +412
    Review for uncharted is online as we speak in the ps3 forum area I you haven't checked it out already ;)