Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident Evil 4 Wii vs Gamecube

Discussion in 'Wii & Wii-U' started by TubbyBeaker, Mar 12, 2009.

1. TubbyBeaker

TubbyBeaker Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I only own a Wii and I am contemplating picking Resident Evil 4 having never played it.

With all the hype surrounding Res Evil 5, the reviews keep comparing it to RE4 with most agreeing that 5 isnt as good as 4 and in no way a giant leap forward.

My question is simple, because the Wii can play Gamecube games, do I get the RE4 Wii edition or the original Gamecube version (which had better reviews, but there is the difference in release dates timescales)

Is it a direct port but uses the Wii remote?

Are the graphics/sound any better?
  2. Hi/zuum

Hi/zuum AVF Table Tennis Winner 06

Ratings:
    +175
    It is a port but the controls add so much more to the gameplay on the Wii version it's like a brand new game. As for the graphics & sound, I think a proper widescreen was standard but other than that no real difference. Looked & played great on my LCD through component.

Bottom line - Wii R4 is the best version, period. Loved that game. :thumbsup:
  3. BarneyL

BarneyL Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'd go for the Wii version, I've only played the GC one but I hear the Wii is the best version. The new control scheme (pointing with the Wiimote replaces the somewhat aukward aiming of the original) is highly rated and all the extra modes from various past versions are included.
    Graphics wise there's no significant change but it supports 480p and widescreen if you have a component cable.
    Review scores are pretty much meaningless, I suspect their lower for the wii simply because the game was somewhay over hyped when it first released.
  4. the_emohawk

the_emohawk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I played the GC version of RE4 to death on the Wii before the Wii version was announced. Then got the Wii version, the Wii controls add a hell of a lot to game (far easier than using the Wavebird controller in the GC version).

If you're buying RE4 now don't consider anything other than the Wii version.
  5. sjw

sjw Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Doesn't the Wii version have more extras too?
    Definitely get the Wii version. Easily the best RE ever - including RE5...
  6. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Yeah, definitely get the Wii edition of the game. I played the GC version three or four times all the way through when it came out (oh, and no way was this game ever overhyped when it came out; its very release gave the GC a new lease of life in its latter days and, in terms of the RE series, was a total revolution) and got boght the Wii edition soon after I got my Wii.

The Wiimote and nunchuck are so much better suited to this game but lookswise there's nary a difference beyond the slight cosmetics of widesceen and 480 progressive scan (although both are a welcome addition); doesn't matter anyway, because RE4 is still an incredibly impressive looking game.

The Wii edition also features the Separate Ways adventure which was an addition to the PS2 port. Other than that, all the other bonuses of the original GC game are here (Mercenaries level, Ada's Mission, unlockable weapons and costumes). In short, no collection of Wii games should be without this one.
  7. Scott23

Scott23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +165
    I played the GC version to death on my old GC. I bought the wii version when it came out but for some strange reason I couldn't get into it again. However, RE4 is an amazing game that nobody should miss out on!! Can still picture those cinema moments where you think "holy cr@p how am I going to kill all those things" :)
  8. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    can I just ask, Scott123, was it the game itself that you could not get into again or the ctonrol system? I found the control system threw me a bit at first but stuck with it and now can vouch for it feeling much more natural than the GC controller (in addition, my hit ratio percentage has gone up too). I hope you go back to it, if only so you can unlock the stuff that wasn't on the GC version.
  9. Scott23

Scott23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +165
    Defo the game. The controls were much better just I couldn't get into it again. Probably just me with too many games to play alongside it lol If it goes up in the classified section cheap I might pick it up again tbh
  10. Haggler

Haggler Active Member

Ratings:
    +662
    Personally i liked the new control but have to say the game looks rough as a bears arse graphically on my lcd through component, a great game let down by outdated graphics, if you owned it already on gamecube stick to the memories they're better left there.

Having said that if you can find it in the bargain bin and never owned the gamecube one or you have a small tv 28" or below it may be worth a shot
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  11. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Cruel, Haggler. I guess it might depend on how high-end your set up is. Mine's comparatively modest but then again you gets what you can afford.

Ergo, whilst obviously RE4 doesn't compete necessarily with what's out on, say, the PS3 or the 360, it is arguably the best looking game on the Wii and I don't think it's dated badly at all. And I'm playing it on an lcd through the official component lead.

And a great game is a great game is a great game. So graphics really don't come into it.
  12. supahyp

supahyp Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Have to agree , I found the sheer brillance of the game with the perfect control scheme , made me forget very quickly the last gen graphics . The way i look at the game is like watching a film like Casablanca , where the fact its in black and white actually adds to the atmosphere of the film . At no point playing the game did I think the graphics hindered my enjoyment of the game .
  13. Matt

Matt Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Never quite warmed to RE4 for some reason, i got stuck in a cage with a very angry bloke and couldnt get any further.
  14. davemulheran

davemulheran Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +67
    I was unable to resist getting this, so had my pants pulled down by GAME this weekend in bluewater.

£25 pre-owned! :suicide:
  15. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Shoot the lock off. Takes a couple of goes with a shotgun, depending on the level of upgrade you have, but it really is the only way to survive this encounter.
  16. cl530

cl530 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

My first Wii-related post! Having recently bought a Wii from a mate I'm venturing back into the world of consoles (my last one was a PS1).. I've read the reviews of Resident Evil 4 and it sounded really good so I've just bought it online from a HotUKDeal reference (just under £15 delivered). Looking forward to getting my hands on it as the last RE title I played was the original!! :)

My burning question for the Wii experts on here is this: is RE4 (Wii edition) compatible with the various light gun/holders on the market? I've read some Amazon reviews and some people state that you have to use the "A" button to fire weapons in RE4 and this kind of defeats the point of a light gun (which I guess all use the "B" button?)

Any advice or explanations gratefully received! I'm hoping that I'll get a "yes" and then I can go and buy the Nyko gun as that looks pretty good from most of the discussion threads here.

On a side note, I'm really pleased with the Wii so far; been busy adding all my friends and relatives to my Address Book and sharing Miis (I seem to be the last to get one!) Got it hooked up to my Panasonic 42" plasma via component, which I have had to switch through my Sony AV amp as the DVD player is also component and the TV only has the one component input. Also achieved serious shoulder ache from the baseball and leg ache from Shaun White's Snowboarding on the balance board.

Anyway, look forward to hearing from the gun enthusiasts on here re RE4.

Cheers!
  17. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    I haven't played RE4 on the Wii ( I already have it on the Gamecube and the PS2 ). However the Wii version was never designed to be used with a "light gun" peripheral so I suspect it's not going to work with one of those. I'm sure someone who has played it can clarify one way or the other.