Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing My Old AV Receiver, Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Tricky-Ricky, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Finally decided its time to replace my old Sony STR DB925 yes i know its really old:)
    My problem is that thing's have moved on somewhat, so my dielmma is that i am looking for something on a budget of £200 or less,
    i don't listen to a lot of music or films with the AV on but have recently started to more, and i have previously not been too bothered by the sound quality, i think that recently listening to a friends budget (relatively) system and being very impressed, i am now looking for something that is much more punchy and detailed at lower listening volumes, so the question is it possible on my budget?

I have been looking at Richer Sounds site and there are several good priced AV receiver's, but i haven't a clue really these days, i use my receiver for music, movies, both streamed and direct from a HDD, my main speakers are a budget set of Mission M33i floor standers.

The receiver's i have had a brief look at on the site are, Sony STRDH520, Sony STRDH820, Onkyo TXSR309, Onkyo TXSR578 (on clearance)

Any help greatly appreciated:)
  2. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    I don't think they are going to be as good as what you have now, to get similar performance I would be considering a yamaha 671 or denon 1912. Found this though which is worth considering.

DENON AVR-1911 7.1 3D READY AV RECEIVER DENON AVR 1911 (B-Stock)

I assume you already have a bluray player and lots of blurays otherwise there isn't much point in 'upgrading'. What other speakers do you have?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the input, I'll take a look, why do you say that i wont get any improvement, surely there have been some inroads into amplifier design and construction in the last 12 years?
    besides i am sure that the latest features including being able to switch AV sources through the amp, and room equalization should be able to help somewhat?

I don't have lots of blue rays, but i have sky HD and watch a lot of films stored on HDD, also PS3, and a muti sat tuner, my other speakers are Polk audio centre and isonics with different drivers in for the rears, and since the new receiver's are capable of 7.1 i could always add some more speakers to take advantage.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  4. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Any other views/recommendation's/input appreciated?
  5. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    Yes video switching is a nice feature but it doesn't make the picture or audio any better. There is no room equalisation on the receivers you are looking at. If you are mean auto setup, they make setup easier, but you can still do a better job yourself with a spl meter.

I had an old receiver myself the main improvement for me was with hd audio which is mainly only available on bluray discs. Whatever you spent on your sony it is resonable to expect you will still have to spend a similar amount again to get the same performance with sd audio. 7.1 is only available on a minority of bluray discs and a good 5.1 setup can be better than a poor 7.1 (trying to cram in the extra speakers when you don't have room)
  6. JackBauer77

JackBauer77 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My Onkyo TX-SR308B has developed a fault 10 months in, in that it wont pass video through HDMI any more (sound still works fine, but that was one of the main reasons I bought it). Contacted the seller (Amazon) and without any fuss have been offered a full refund.

So I have about £200 to replace it. Only looking for the amp, already have decent speakers. Would like '3D ready' and at least 3 HDMI in and one out, and min 2 optical inputs.

Any other suggestions?
  7. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I now have a short list of the Sony STRDH820 and the Onkyo TXNR309, but i keep reading of faults and failure's with the Onkyos which is a worry.
  8. JackBauer77

JackBauer77 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm pretty much settled on the 309 - just trying to convince myself one way or the other whether a jump to the 509 would be worth it.

Decisions decisions! :confused:
  9. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well i went and had a listen yesterday, at the two amps, and although it wasn't a very good demo, the wife and i felt that the Sony sounded better, however now i have got the Sony home i am not sure its an upgrade on my old amp, i feel the steering is pretty weak in comparison, and sound quality isn't as good, i will persevere with the set up to see if it improves, but i suspect i will end up reverting back and selling the new Sony on.:(
  10. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    hate to say 'i told you so' but i kind of did.
  11. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    You sure did LOL! guess it goes prove the old adage of you can lead a horse to water etc:)

Not sure whether to return it and take a cut in refund, and maybe add some cash for something else, or go for the b stock Dennon in your link?
  12. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    Well it is always best to audition equipment in your own home, but few of us actually do.

Having an older receiver I am not sure what the equivalent model is 100% but I am assuming it would be the sony str 1020, trouble is it ain't that good. So you should be considering the denon 1912, yamaha rxv671 or maybe even the rxv771. Trouble is they are way out of your budget, so trying to pick up one of last years models such as the denon 1911, yamaha rxv667 or 767. The denon 1911 caught my eye since it also comes with a years warranty and is a fraction of the price of of the denon 1912.

You should then get similar performance to your existing amp, with the advantage of also hearing superior hd audio from blurays, and having the option to go to 7.1 later.

While you are in the mood for spending money I would be looking out for a mission centre preferably one which matches your floorstanders (M3c1i or M3c2i)
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  13. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well the Sony went back yesterday as apart from the disappointing performance, it had a couple of input switching problems, the upshot is that i decided to up my budget (being realistic) as i had decided to either go for the Dennon AVR 1912 which was on a very good deal at £349 or the Onkyo TX-NR609 which was £100 dearer,
    didn't bother with a demo, but did listen to the higher spec Onkyo which sounded great, just to get the gist of the brand,
    and came home with the NR609, not fully finished playing with the set up yet, but its sounds promising, the audio (stereo) performance is pretty good and bass is tight, and i noticed a definite increase in detail, net radio is quite stunning on some stations, the movie sound i am still trying to get set up to my taste, but is promising so far, i think its starting to show up my centre speaker, dam! more expense.
  14. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,060
    The 1912 is the same level of reciever as the 609 so out of those 2 I would have gone for the 1912. Glad you are enjoying the 609 though and it meets up to your expectations. Have fun with the new toy.
  15. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    If there is one thing I've learned about richer sounds, you can always rely on them to push an onkyo on someone.

That said the 609 is a good machine, enjoy :)
  16. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    They didnt push the Onkyo, it was after reading the manual and reading the reviews that swayed me towards it, i tend to think that its the recevers that are not doing so well sales wise, for whatever reason, that get hevily discounted.

Everything works well, but i am having one issue, but i don't know if its down to the receiver or my TV, tried all the different settings, my TV picture keeps reverting to the "dynamic" setting every time a switch channels (sky) any ideas?
  17. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Tee Hee, old Jules must have shares in them.
  18. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Which means what exactly? Denon and Yamaha kit in around the same price point tends to be a little cheaper than Onkyo kit, doesn't make it less good, makes it a bargain!
  19. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    IMO it only makes them a bargain, if the reason why they are not selling is not due to them being less well rated by buyers and respected reviewers.

And so i bought the Onkyo, but i obviously missed the comment's about the switching problems, and so hopefully i didn't also miss the comment's about how good the rest where;)
  20. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    This is the same thinking that got you buying the Sony first yes? Onkyo's also have had a bad rep for the video boards failing after a few years and there used to be over heating problems (probably related to the video boards failing). Now the x09 series should have this fixed I'm not saying it's bad persay. I'm just pointing out that relying on What Hifi as opposed to the actual user community that have some awareness of the kit over a couple of years is a fallacy.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  21. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I love the ever-so-slightly aggressive tone some of the more knowledgeable posters take, specifically when it comes to home cinema. What's the deal here? The more you know the less tolerant you become?

And I wonder why I spend more time on the other forums....

Just as a matter of interest, Tricky Ricky, what were the input switching issues with the STRDH820? I've just got one myself and it's currently bedding in with all the other components in my set-up. So far, so good, but it would be worth my while knowing what faults to look out for just in case they do arise.
  22. Molliwopp

Molliwopp Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Well RS told me that the denon gets lower in price because of the amount of units they have sold since release.
  23. CJROSS

CJROSS Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    I'd be replacing that with a second hand Sony ES ... you'll get a 3200ES for £175, you can also land a 2400ES for £200, for that money they both are stunning VFM for AV & stereo. (Different league from the Sony you have tried and the DB925)
  24. NoOneNew

NoOneNew Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Seconded. The 2400ES is one or two levels higher and some generations newer than your old Sony (which was a QS model IIRC). You wouldn't miss any of the newest thingabobs with the 2400, apart from 3D compatibility, because any half-decent blu-ray player can decode all the new audio formats and bitstream them to the amp and the 2400 is HDMI 1.3 compatible. For the price, this is an solid deal.