Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing laser/lens on Xbox Elite confusion

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Hardware Forum' started by Marvt74, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvt74

Marvt74 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi guys

My girlfriends son has got an Xbox elite but is getting a lot of disc unreadable errors when trying to play games and it sounds like the drive is on the way out.
    I've been looking into replacing it but seem to have seen some conflicting information. I'm not too bad at messing with electrical things but am hopeless with a soldering iron. Could anyone confirm whether a soldering iron is needed to replace the lens or laser? As i seem to have found conflicting walkthroughs nd possibly link to a guide if possible.
    The xbox has got the Benq style dvd drive.

Cheers
  2. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +349
    If you are ok on just opening it up, just use a cotton bud and some alcohol solution to clean the lens. No need to replace it 1st.
  3. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    How much is a new lens? It's probably easier to replace the entire drive. You can buy one for about £17 on eBay including delivery
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  4. Dinky Dragon

Ratings:
    +349
    Yeah you cant talk about there here bro, so can ye edit ya post so it doesnt get deleted.

Cleaning it is just as easier, in my opinion easier. Its just 4 screws.
  5. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    You can't? How come? I realise that the process is the same as you would do if you were flashing a console to play games illegally, but if you legitimately want to replace a broken DVD drive in your 360, you have no choice but to do that. I'm not providing specifics - just saying what you have to do.
  6. Dinky Dragon

Ratings:
    +349
    No you dont, you just replace the lazer lens.
  7. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    I'm just talking generally about broken drives. If someone wanted to replace a drive because the drive tray was broken, for example, would I not be allowed to tell them how to do it because of the key dumping/flashing thing?
  8. Dinky Dragon

Ratings:
    +349
    Of corse you could mate, but flashing of any software is against forum rules. If its against the 360 terms then we cant talk about it.

If you legitimately want to repair the 360s drive you send it off to MS. ;)
  9. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    The warranty for the DVD drive only lasts for 12 months though. I would rather pay £17 for a new drive than pay £11 for a laser and have to go through much more hassle (IMO) to fit it, or to pay MS £60+ to repair it for me. I've replaced a DVD drive in a friend's 360 and it's dead easy. IMO there is no reason why you can't discuss the steps you need to take, just like in the Wii section people are discussing mod chips and homebrew, even though you could use what people are saying there to play copied games.
  10. Dinky Dragon

Ratings:
    +349
    You dont give up do ya? You go ahead and do so, dont say I didnt warn ya though. ;)
  11. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,306
    Theres no distinction between flashing your 360 to play copies, and flashing your 360 to replace the drive, how do we here, on AVF, honestly know its a borked drive/laser..???

both use the same procedure, and as such, modding talk is not allowed here, so either use google to get your answer, or pony up, and get microsoft to fix it.

topic closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.