1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Kenwood KRF-7030D. STR-DG700 sensible?

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by butlerpeter, Dec 14, 2006.

1. butlerpeter

butlerpeter Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I've started to think that it might be time to replace the Kenwood KRF-7030D receiver that I've had for a few years.

I'm not a massive audiophile or anything so something reasonably priced and functional is the order of the day.

I've been looking at the Sony STR-DG700 - it seems to tick all the boxes so far. It's reasonably priced, has all of the connection options that I think I'll need for the forseeable.

I do have one question about it though - hopefully someone who has some experience with the unit can help me out...

I read, in a thread here (don't remember exactly which one now) and also in the specs on the Sony site, that it only supports video output at 480i.

Does this mean that I couldn't run my Xbox 360 through it with the 360 set to 720p or 1080i?

Has anybody got an STR-DG700 with an Xbox 360 connected through it running a HD mode?

Many thanks
  2. Treadstone

Treadstone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I bought one in July to replace a Pioneer VSX C301, thinking it would be an improvement. 100 watts v 75 Watts. Big disappointment. It sounded OK, but just didn't have the guts to drive my Mission M74i fronts, and they're an easy load. Stuck it on Ebay after about 3 months and am using a 2nd hand pioneer VSX D812 till I sort something out. HTH
  3. butlerpeter

butlerpeter Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm fairy sure that anything modern will sound at least as good as my current kit.

Really the reason I'm looking to change is for the better connectivity and switching.

I'm planning on hooking my Denon 1920 to one of the HDMI ports (the other I'll probably use for Sky HD sometime down the line). I want to also connect my Xbox 360 through the components running 720p - hence my original question.

Usually I tend to stay away from Sony kit, but interestingly this is the 2nd time in as many weeks I've found myself considering something from them. The other was a DVD-NS76P which I've been thinking about getting to put in place of the Denon 1920 because the 1920 sometimes has a tough job reading some of my dvd's.