1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement for Asus Motherboard

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Processors' started by Racehunter, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Racehunter

Racehunter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Last year I built my first PC with fantastic advice from these forums, however over the last few months, it has been somewhat problematical. To cut a long story short, it turns out that the motherboard is faulty and luckily is covered by a 3 year warranty. However, I cannot afford to be without the PC while the board is returned on an RMA, so will need to buy a replacement, prior to sending the existing one back.

My question is, should I use the opportunity to 'upgrade' the mobo, or stay with exactly the same? The system specs are:

Asus M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard, AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU, Nvidia Geforce GTX460 GPU, 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600MHz RAM, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD and Antec TruePower New 750W PSU.

I can still get the M4A board but what would the suggested options be?

Thanks

Steve
  2. LJx

LJx Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    I don't think it gets a whole lot better than the board you have for socket AM3, it has USB3 what more is there really. I wouldprobably try to spend as little as possible like £35 -£40. Either that or sell the CPU and buy an i5 too
  3. Racehunter

Racehunter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply. I wish I could find the M4A for such a low price. £70 seems about the lowest so far.

I take it from you comments regarding an i5, that you prefer that route to the AMD one I have taken?

Steve
  4. LJx

LJx Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    I thought they were sending you another one free so forget what I said, I just meant get a cheap one until they send you a replacement.
    Anyway if you wanted to stick with AMD you could get one of the new AM3+ 990 (i think thats the chipset not sure) and then maybe get an FX processor down the line to make full use of it. They get a bad rep a bit but they do OK in a lot of things just not gaming
  5. Racehunter

Racehunter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats exactly what I am expecting, a replacement board in a few weeks time. So you meant get a cheap board compatable with my processor in the meantime.

I hadn't considered that, but a good idea, all the same.
  6. Vandiesel

Vandiesel Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I would not be buying the same board, either upgrade to a better board(then sell your rma board) or buy used from the forums