Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renault Laguna 2.2 dCi timing belt change cost?

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by qwerty321, Aug 3, 2009.

1. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +970
    Another question from me today.

My 2003 Laguna 2.2 dCi will be due for a timing belt change soon and just trying to find out what the costs are roughly, how much should I be looking to pay?

I called one local garage who are Renault approved and they quoted over £700 :eek:

Will be asking some more local places tomorrow but surely it should be much lower, shouldnt it?!
  2. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey Member

Ratings:
    +88
    I would say around £300, based on a 2 litre petrol cost of my ex-car - a Laguna 2002.

Where are you? If you are anywhere near Staffordshire, try Four Oaks Renault - it's an independent Renault garage.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +970
    Im about 30 miles from Staffordshire. If anyone knows places in Derby, near Pride Park, that might be a possiblity. Im starting a placement from next week so I could possibly drop my car off while it gets sorted.

Although not entirely comfortable with that as Ive only been to Derby 3 times in total!

Will have to ask around locally tomorrow.
  4. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +970
    Called a few local places including my normal mechanic and got the price to around £230.

However, called a local car parts places (Car Spares, for anyone in Bham area) and they gave a price of around £87 including VAT for the timing belt kit.
  5. Flimber

Flimber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,265
    Found this on eBay recently.

eBay Seller: lou2528

He's mobile but based in Manchester area so possibly a bit too kerfuffley for you.

I was quoted £620 by a Renault dealer recently for a cambelt change on a three-litre Diesel Espace, FYI, but I was also quoted £950 by another local stealership. Anything under £500 is decent but there may be an auxiliary timing belt in yours (as ours) which ought to be changed at the same time (~£30 + labour) and if it's the 72k service I've read that the waterpump (almost definitely; ~£50 - £100 + labour) and the glowplugs on diesels (possibly and dunno the price) are recommended to be renewed also. That's why the 72k service is called "the big service" :(

Mike.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +970
    Well my car is ok 53,000 miles and is 5 and a half years old. Has full service history and cant see anything in there about the timing belt having been replaced. I believe the recommended is 72k or 5 years so best to get it changed soon I think.
  7. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey Member

Ratings:
    +88
    If the diesel is configured anything like as unservicably like the petrol, then it's going to be the time and effort where the money goes. It takes ages apparently.

Four Oaks are just off Junction 12 of the M6 and can give you a replacement car if pre-arranged. Beware though - it was a red clio with tinted windows. Embarassing to drive!
  8. Flimber

Flimber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,265
    Indeed and if you take it to a local place you might well get the job done okay but you'll be paying for their learning curve while they do it I imagine.
  9. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey Member

Ratings:
    +88
    my recommended garage is Renault indy, so no learning curve. Plus they charge what they quote.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1