Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renault espace 2.2dci privilage

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by red2004devil, Oct 20, 2009.

1. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I have just brought as the title says a renault espace 2.2 dci privilage 2001 on a y plate but dont get it till saturday.
    Im just wondering what shud i look out for and can any1 say whio has had one what they are like and what sort of MPG you can get out of them?
  2. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    I have a 2003 Laguna 2.2 dCi. Get around 25mpg in town, 44mpg on motorway/A-roads, 47mpg if Im careful. I imagine your should be similar, maybe a little less because its a big car.

I am somewhat regretting getting a Renault though (yes, I know I was warned against it!). I have an issue where I lose power at 70mph and a drop of fuel economy to 33mpg when it should be 44mpg! Turns out there is a crack in the inlet manifold and its causing the turbo to lose pressure. Im getting mine replaced soon but the fuel economy is getting to me!
  3. ste v p

ste v p Member

Ratings:
    +176
    I'm pretty sure my dad had a similar problem with his where it used to lose power on the motorway and he had to coast to the hard shoulder... :eek: He actually had two Espaces, the first was fine and then the second, a Grand Espace was a pig of a car. He will never go back to Renault.

However, the first one was OK with no major problems. I hope you get a good one!
  4. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    I dont lose all the power. Just my acceleration goes VERY bad. A sort of limp mode on the car. Terrible when I get to an incline, I can floor it totally and the car will not accelerate, but just keeps at its speed.
  5. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren Active Member

Ratings:
    +926
    Do you mean you have brought this vehicle but have not made any research into your purchase? :eek:
  6. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I did do sum research. just wanted to see how people have got on with the car and sum sort if mpg. Some sites say 39-46mpg then others say 27-35mpg
  7. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    It will all depend on the kind of driving you do. Town roads or motorways or a mix.
  8. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It would be going to work 3miles there and back and then just going shopping on a sunday to merryhill or telford no and then!
  9. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    Without knowing exactly what roads sort of roads you will travel on, I would guess at high 20s to the low 30s in MPG.

Finding parking at Merry Hill on a Sunday will drop your MPG, its a nightmare on Sundays. As an unrelated tip, use the multistorey, right at the top. Usually has plenty of spaces.

Also, it seems like you aren't going to be doing much mileage. Why didn't you go for a petrol instead? Wouldn't have been a huge difference in running costs.
  10. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,744
    That's seriously bad.
    I get 36mpg in town from my more powerful 2-litre diesel.
  11. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    Yes I know. A friend has a E320 CDI and he gets 33mpg! That was after I just got the car. Did have some Forte cleaner put in and got it to 28mpg.

However, I suspect the main reason is because I had the air leak in the manifold which wasn't apparent at first. Now it has developed more I get 18mpg :eek:

Hopefully the manifold replacement will sort it. I believe the official Renault figures are 33mpg on town roads.
  12. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    Is it a proper, measured 25mpg?
    Or are you just taking what the on-board computer says?
    I'm just wondering if the manifold problem is sending the OBC haywire, and it's maybe not as bad as you think.:eek:
  13. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    im hoping to get more than 28mpg from it i get 36mpg from 1.8petrol picasso
  14. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    Mostly just what the OBC says but to be honest I dont do much town driving aside from the few miles in my commute. On the weekends I probably only do about 5 miles driving!

Ive not really calculated town mpg myself. For the commute mpg the OBC does match up with my calculations. Only out by around 0.3mpg.
  15. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the input im not sure whether to go ahead with the purchase after all the neg feedback:(
  16. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    It's only one person repeatedly discussing the same problem.
    Hardly that bad.:confused:
    Try a proper Renault forum, see what they say.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/search.php
  17. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    I agree with FZR400RRSP in part. The only thing is that I think the Espace is supposed to be one of the more unreliable Renaults.

Generally, it seems to be down to peoples experience with them. One of the reasons I got a Laguna is because a relative owned some in a fleet and has nothing bad to say about them. Also the dCi engines are used in Nissans as well.

Best to gather opinions on that model before you give up on it.
  18. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,390
    I thought it was going rather well for a French car thread :)

(Mk I Laguna owner and proud of it :D)

The beauty of buying an old car like these is that most of what is going to go wrong due to initial shoddy workmanship will have done so, so what you see is what you get. If it seems a good one now then you should be OK. As OK as you ever can be with any car that is.

Dave
  19. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710
    Sean...it's inappropriate for a director of one car manufacturer to use the forums to question the competency of another,and does not reflect well.
  20. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    people you do know that it is a diesal and how come you can only get 20 odd mpg for a diesal?
  21. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    That is just my experience but as I have already mentioned, my car has issues.

Also it depends on the roads and speeds. Doing 30mph I get 25mpg, goes up to 28mpg on 40mph roads. Low speed town driving can be just as bad as flooring it.

If you want the best economy drive around everywhere at 57mph :D
  22. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I had the car looked at by the local garage which i know they said that there was a big problem with the engine. So i phoned up the garage where i had it from and told him he said to take it back to him and he would have it checked out to see what the matter was. He thought it was a faulty turbo which he said he didnt mind replacing but if it was the engine then that would be another question. Anyway it turns out that the engine is knackered so he had a couple of quotes and he is replacing the engine and getting all the other stuff that was wrong that my garage picked up on :smashin:

We was wondering weather he new about this problem and hoped it got through the 3 months warrenty before it played up.

Is there anything i should check when you have a new engine?
  23. Hitby

Hitby Active Member

Ratings:
    +508
    Reject the car. Don't buy Renault. Simple as that. I've had two, I'd never have another. There's probably more details in some of my older posts but I can't even bear thinking about it to be honest.
  24. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    I agree with this. As Ive said in this post, I have a Laguna 2.2 dCi. So far, have replaced the inlet manifold which solved half my issues.

My experience with Renault hasnt been too horrendous so far and I wont say Ill never buy Renault again. However, if I had the chance to sell my car and get a different one, probably wouldn't be Renault :D

If you have the chance to part ways with it, do so now!
  25. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ive had a few renaults not really had problem with them.
    The bloke said most people dont like to have the car back once the engine has been replaced so he said he would buy the car back for £500 less then what i paid for it 1 and a half months ago!:thumbsdow
  26. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    I mean to be fair, Renaults seem to be keeping going in most parts of the world for a very very long time....

I wouldn't be very happy with a replacement engine already....But when you had the car for a month and half, loosing £500 doesn't seem to be such a bad deal...The alternative could take a long time.

Then again, are secondhand car prices still rising? Check out your facts and come armed with them. And haggle over the £500 if that is their opening offer. But expect to loose something....
  27. red2004devil

red2004devil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just another update.

I will be getting my full money back after all. Something happened with the engine price so its not cost affective so he is giving my money back:clap: