Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing a splinter

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by HMHB, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,432
    I got a splinter in my finger about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I can't seem to get it out. I've prodded it a few times with a sterilised needle but with no luck. It drains the pus and it bleeds a bit but then forms a lump again around where I think the splinter is.
    What's the best way to deal with it? Should I leave it alone and see if it works it's way out?
  2. paul1967

paul1967 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    You need to go to a doc or nurse as it getting infected,asap will hurt more when it is removed for a bit.
  3. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    It's very rare a splinter will come out on its own, you really need to get it out yourself if you can, using sterilised tweezers/needle whatever you prefer... was the cut etc properly then cover it up with a plaster and some anti-septic cream, if puss is still developing after the removal you will need to see your GP.

I don't mean to be a scaremonger, but depending on where you got the splinter can also have a big impact on it, my Father got quite a serious infection from a splinter while gardening, ended up in going to hospital to remove the infection and having a skin graft on his hand where the splinter was, amazing to think a little splinter caused such a big area of damage, apparently it can kill too, i'm not sure if it was toxoplasmosis, but you do need to make sure you get the splinter out and the puss stops coming.
  4. paul1967

paul1967 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    If you realy want a scare thorns can cause lockjaw:eek:
  5. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,432
    I'm sure they've got more things to do than getting a poxy little splinter out at the moment with all this swine flu :D
  6. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    The GP's don't deal with Swine Flu, the helplines do... :p

While a poxy little splinter might not seem much (my Dad said the same thing) the guy in the hospital told him that it could have killed him if the infection started to spread, apparently you can watch it move up the veins in your arm...

As I said in my first post, you need to get the splinter out or the puss will keep coming and as someone else said it will hurt more and more, if you can't get it out then you will need to get it removed by a GP etc.
  7. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,432
    I'm not even sure if there is anything there or not, just ripped it open again and can't see anything obvious there even through a magnifying glass. It's only when it's starting to heal that I think I can see something.
  8. Liquid101

Liquid101 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,938
    Try sticking a a plaster over it for a few days - but instead of the dressing part over the affected area, put the sticky bit over it. Apparently this can help draw it out.

A couple of years ago, I got a metal splinter in my thumb, a nurse suggested this method, and it worked in just a couple of days.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    If there is still puss developing then there is something there to cause that, if you see what looks like a splinter it could be the cut healing up, sometimes if you use a needle to try get it out you can cause little scratches that will heal up looking like a splinter.

It's very rare that if it's been in for so long that it will draw out like this, a salt water soak on a slightly infected (and not deep splinter) can help to draw it up to the surface, but unless the splinter is close to the surface I don't think the sticky method will work.
    (Random point off topic - they use Duct tape to remove boyfly larvae in a similar fashion because they are close to the surface and can be caught by the stickiness when poking out)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  10. The Glimmer Man

The Glimmer Man Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Get some yellow basilicon from a chemists, or use mustard, put it on your skin and cover it with a soft bandage and it should draw out the splinter. :smashin:

Disclaimer
    I'm not medically trained, so if you die, your family shouldn't waste money trying to sue my arse off. :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,782
    Magnesium Sulphate paste covered with a plaster should draw it out.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,432
    Can all these things be applied to broken skin?
  13. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    I would not advise putting anything on your open wound unless it is a medical product designed to do so, anti-septic creams and such.
    If you google splinter infection the majority of replies to such questions do advise seeking medical attention or advice if you can't get the splinter out or the puss keeps coming back.
  14. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,755
    If it hasn't come out easily and is repeatedly causing a pus buildup definitely go and see your GP.
  15. figoagogo

figoagogo Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    cut your finger off above the joint and stop being a wuss :)
  16. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,782
    The blurb on the Magnesium Sulphate says not for use on an open wound.

If you don't want to go to your GP at least have a word with a pharmacist.
  17. 7ofnine

7ofnine Active Member

Ratings:
    +438
    :smashin: Or if signs of infection are seen going up the arm then get the hacksaw out.

Always makes me chuckle seeing posts for medical advice on forums. Get yourself to a doctor man!
  18. figoagogo

figoagogo Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    you may need some thick pliers to snap any remaining joints or tendons, a swift snap to the right, then pull a pit and it should come clean off. Please dispose of gammy finger in a near by bin.
  19. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    But remember to sterilise the pliers first :D
  20. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,432
    When I sliced through my fingers with the electric hedge cutters I just pressed the cuts back together again with plasters and sorted it out myself. I can't see me going to a GP with this :D
  21. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    Fair enough, but keep an eye on the infection, if you notice discolouration moving up the veins in your hand/arm go to hospital immediately.
  22. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,432
    Yes will do. I don't think I'm even registered with a GP these days as I've not been for 12 or more years.
  23. 7ofnine

7ofnine Active Member

Ratings:
    +438
    Are you by any chance built from living tissue over a metal endo skeleton?
  24. Liquid101

Liquid101 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,938
    Good point - also if you notice other swelling or puss filled spots around the original wound, it's also time to go to the GP - even if it's just to see the nurse.
  25. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,432
    :D I must stress that i didn't go all the way through the fingers !!
  26. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,643
    If you have not hacked it out by now , go to your GP . Closing
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.