1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote friendly screen/mesh for cabinet

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by captain69, Oct 5, 2009.

1. captain69

captain69 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I'm buiding some MDF cabinets either side of my chimney breast for AV equipment - plasma on the chimney. The cabinets will be enclosed so I have 2 issues to solve - heat and remote control. Me an SWMBO don't get on with all-in-one remotes with RF or whatever so we've decided to have the front of these cabinets either covered in speaker cloth or a mesh/grille to allow the IR to travel through. This should also solve any heat build up.

Can anybody recommend a product? We like minimal/modern and don't want them to end up looking like radiators! Thanks.
  2. Member 398526

Member 398526 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Maybe you could use the same idea as in BDI TV Cabinets, they use tinted glass, this keeps AV units concealed but allows IR remote controls to function.
  3. captain69

captain69 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks - I think this will lead to overheating as the cabinets are completely enclosed except for some 5-10mm vents in asking the joiner to put in the tops of them.

Anybody else with recommendations for a front screen/mesh?
  4. AVGuru1985

AVGuru1985 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BDI Avion cabinets have speaker inserts available for all of the doors. They are IR friendly as well. I have the 8527 kit and it is superb,
  5. captain69

captain69 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Looked on their webiste and can't see any "kits" or reference to them. Can you send a link?