Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red light coming from headphone socket Acer Aspire 4810T

Discussion in 'Laptops & Netbooks' started by mty, Jul 3, 2011.

1. mty

mty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a red light coming from the headphone socket on my laptop and have no sound from my internal speakers yet when i plug my headphones in they work. Can anyone help to get my speakers working.
  2. SUMMONER

SUMMONER Active Member

Ratings:
    +253
    Go into the control panel and double-click onto Sound. Under playback select Speakers/Realtek HD Audio, not the Realtek Digital Output one, then click set default at the bottom.

It should look something like this...
    [​IMG]

If you can't see all the outputs download/install the latest drivers for you Realtek HD sound card here.

If it is already set as default and the problem appeared recently you can also try going back in time with Windows System Restore. Otherwise it is time to backup your files and run a Windows recovery, to see if it is just a software glitch or a physical fault with the speakers.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. mty

mty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this but the I have tried this, the problem occurred when I plugged earphones in on day and when unplugged the red light was on and the sound disappeared only to be heard once the headphones where plugged in.
  4. SUMMONER

SUMMONER Active Member

Ratings:
    +253
    The headphone socket on your laptop combines both a conventional 3.5mm stereo and digital sound output (S/PDIF Toslink).

If after having done a full Windows recovery it still doesn't work, it is the circuit that mutes the internal speakers upon connecting external headphones / speakers that is damaged.

If still covered by a warranty I would just state that the in-built speakers have stopped working and get them to collect it.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. hyperfish

hyperfish Active Member

Ratings:
    +946
    I know it's the other way round with your particular issue but there may just be something in this similar post that could be of use?