Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red LED Internet light on Netgear DG834G

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by funkyseasider, Feb 29, 2008.

1. funkyseasider

funkyseasider Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have just bought a new Netgear DG834G (v4?) wireless router plus a USB2 adapter. I am currently with BT total broadband.

I have set everything up and my PS3, PC and laptop can all see the router with good signal strength. I have set up the router using the Smart Wizard and everything is fine until I try to connect to the internet. The DSL Light is on (green) and stays on so the connection is there but the problem is logging on. I contacted my ISP and they assure me that ALL the details (username password, MUX VCI etc) are correct, yet when the router comes up the internet light shows Red. I tried resetting it but to no avail.

When I put back my old DG834 wired router it connects to the internet fine. I used the same ethernet card (wired) in my PC to set up both routers...

Anyone got any ideas as I am stumped?
  2. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    At what stage does your router go red ?

When you try to connect to the internet ? When you connect to the router ?

If its your internet light thats a connection issue, I know your connection is fine but it could be something with go wireless and its killing the connection.

Some more info would help. ;)
  3. funkyseasider

funkyseasider Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK,

So the internet red light comes on when i try to connect to the internet. I can connect from my PC to the router no problem (wired or wirelessly) and change the settings fine. When I click the Test button it says LCP down, CHAP authentication failed and no Netgear web page. When I check the router lights thats when the Red internet light has come on. The DSL and wireless lights are both green.

So now when I power on the router the following happens :-

Power On light GREEN,
    Wireless light GREEN,
    DSL light GREEN,
    Internet light ---- RED.

The red light stays on, which means the connection to the ISP failed. But the ISP settings are correct. Maybe this is a MAC address problem?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Can you go to your old router and write down what the settings are in the basic settings and adsl settings then use these and double check your new router. If your wired router is working fine then what you need to do is use them same settings on your wireless.

You need to make sure that every setting is the same. Try this and then if possible wire your pc up to the wireless router on confirm that this is now working.

I know its a bit on the long side but this will rule out your router being stuffed.
  5. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    At that stage the only thing that can be going awry is your ISP User Name and Password.

For BT Domestic: broadbanduser@btbroadband.com will work with no Password.

For BT Business you do have to get the User Name and Password correct.

So I would double check them.
  6. funkyseasider

funkyseasider Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry guys, I tried all that :-(

BT gave me a couple of others to try including :-

user@btinternet.com - password 0 (zero)
    bt_test_user@startup_domain

all of which didn't work either.

BT assure me that this is all correct and should work.

The Basic settings for both routers are exactly the same i.e. :-

DNS = auto
    VPI = 0
    VCI = 38
    Modulation = G.DMT
    Encaps = VC MUX
    Encaps Protocol = PPPoA.

However, I did look on the Netgear help pages and found this :-

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101227.asp

This seems to suggest that if you use a different Ethernet adapter or router to set up your internet connection that your ISP might reject the connection request based on the fact that the routers MAC address will be different? Maybe I need to spoof it ?
  7. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Not with BT.

Here's a suggestion. Reset the router to factory settings using the reset button. Wait until it has booted. Connect a PC via Ethernet and go to 192.168.0.1. Now plug the ADSL cable into the wall socket or micro filter. The router will ask what your Region is. Choose the correct one for the UK. Let it detect the network settings and at some point it will ask for your BT User Name put any of the ones that are supposed to work in with NO password.

If that fails its broke.
  8. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +376
    Where did you get the "G" router from? I'd take it back and ask for another TBH!!!
    It is worth trying your primary account login and password rather than the generic one (which just uses CLI to authenticate, but can probably fail...)
  9. funkyseasider

funkyseasider Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I tried this again and for some reason it worked! Problem solved! BT had told me the wrong information. Doh! no spoofing required.
  10. Loco Lobo

Loco Lobo Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. garymac66

garymac66 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Get the same problem quite often... phoned netgear helpline heres the quick fix, get to your netgear page by typing in the address in address bar to get you to there page,,, remove your connection details and password which is usually email address then your personal password then RETYPE them in again and apply. that should get you reconnected. They tell me it happens when you lose connection or have a fault on your phone line? mine tends to happen overnight when pc is off.
    hope this helps.
  12. damiant

damiant Member

Ratings:
    +16
    i believe you can save the config file from your original router to your desktop and upload it to your new router. this worked with the v3 but untried myself on the v4.

in the router gui there should be a connection status button that brings up a pop up. if this says connection failed it is usually authentication which means user name or password for your broadband line is wrong.
  13. chromo17

chromo17 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah you can save the config files on the netgear routers. not sure about version compat though.