Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording FM Radio

Discussion in 'DAB Digital Radio & FM Radio' started by dudgeman, Oct 20, 2008.

1. dudgeman

dudgeman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a way of recording FM radio either onto a hard disk, memory card or even CD/DVD. Ideally, one that you can do timer recording. Does such a thing exist, or do we still live in the dark ages (i.e. the eighties), where the only way to record is on to C90 tapes by pressing record only at the time of broadcast? If there is no such thing, then why not in this day and age of PVRs, DVD recording, time shifting video etc?
  2. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    A few of the USB/MP3 compatible micro hi-fi systems systems can record to USB or SD card.
    They can record to a fixed MP3 bitrate, the internal analogue signal as played from CD, tuner or even the other digital source (ie. USB to SD card via digital/analogue/digital).
    But I haven't investigated whether any models can start/stop recording under timer control.

A PVR (Freeview alternative to VCR) can record those radio channels broadcast via DTT, with EPG set timers.

A DVD/HDD recorder can be programmed to record from the AV input at set times. Connect the output of your FM tuner to the audio inputs, and a permanent video source to the video input (else the recorder may refuse to record), then you have the radio channel recorded to play/edit later.

Some DAB radios have a timeslip buffer and can record DAB stations to it. I expect some can also store to removeable memory. Again don't know about timer facilities, and doubt FM recording is catered for.
  3. m.stephens

m.stephens Member

Ratings:
    +50
  4. flying haggis

flying haggis Member

Ratings:
    +9
    if you have a sky or freeview box and a dvd recorder you can set them to record a radio station (if broadcast on sky or freeview) just as you would a tv prog
  5. KJ Palmer

KJ Palmer Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Talking of microsystems that record from FM, the TEAC CRH255DAB does have a programmable timer that will record (to MP3/WMA formats) from the built in FM radio (plus DAB etc) onto a USB memory stick. So will the more expensive (but virtually identical) NAD C715DAB. Of course these might be a bit overkill unless you want/need all the features.
  6. Grumpsimus

Grumpsimus Member

Ratings:
    +29
    No one has mentioned using a computer to record to the the Hard Disc, can be MP3 or other format and easily transferred to a memory card or iPod.

I use a Mac and use a Program called WireTap Studio, which is very flexible and provides for timer recordings. I record from a Sony Micro system connected to the computer.

I am sure that similiar programs are available for the PC.
  7. KJ Palmer

KJ Palmer Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Well, well it seems Audacity (1.3) can do timed recordings from whatever's coming though the sound card. Been using Audacity a while and hadn't realised, must give it a try... :rolleyes: