1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record player buzzing, weak link to be found?

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by Baseley09, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Baseley09

Baseley09 Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hello, my somewhat weaksauce record player set up has a rather frustrating buzzing sound that I hope to get rid of, I wonder if anyone could advise me as to what the likely problem is. Potentially cheap equipment? Faulty part?

Here's a run down of the record player part of my set up.

Soundlab DLP1R turntable with attached phono to....
    vivanco phono pre amp to...
    cheap 5 metre phono extender to..
    1 metre phono leads of decent quality to...
    Sony STR-DE598 AV reciever.

I did some interwebs reading and it could maybe be an unsheilded cartridge on the turntable....the buzzing is evident when the turntable power is off, but the phono pre amp is powered on, or shoddy phono stage. I need a better turntable and amp but you know, life etc.

Thanks for your time.
  2. Phlog

Phlog Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Is the turntable earthed to the phono stage?

Is the 5m interconnect well away from mains cables and other electrical kit?

Are you joining the 5m interconnect to the 1m interconnect? If so, how?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Baseley09

Baseley09 Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi cheers, no the earth cable (im asuming thats what it is, a loose horse shoe like clip) isnt attached to the phono stage, seems to not include this facility.

The 5m interconnect is right near a mains outlet and multi plug unit which the phono stage is connected too.

The 5m interconnect is male at one end, female the other end connected to the 1m interconnect, which is fed to the amp.

Looks like im failing at AV life here.
  4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin Member

Ratings:
    +1,271
    That's the problem then - you must earth the turntable to the amp using this clip. The amp's phono stage should have an earth point (it's mandatory), so check the manual.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Baseley09

Baseley09 Member

Ratings:
    +33

Thats the problem, no phono input on the amp hense im using the vivanco pre amp, this device doesnt seem to have this earth point which is a bit of a let down, have to find a suitable replacement!
  6. cunny678

cunny678 Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
    As a temporary check why dont you just stick the connector to some bare metal on the amp casing to see if it solves the problem! Alternatively, you may be able to part unscrew one of the screws holding the amp casing together and put the connector round the screw and screw it tight again.

Make sure the amps turned off and unplugged if you do it just to be safe!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Dunk65

Dunk65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Try drilling a small hole in the back of the amp casing and use a self tapping screw and shakeproof washer to provide an earthing point.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Baseley09

Baseley09 Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Attached the earth cable behind a screw on the phono stage and hey presto all is swell, thanks for the advice people!