Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a good thick book

Discussion in 'Books & Literature Forum' started by Sqwonk, Sep 27, 2008.

1. mrapbp

mrapbp Active Member

Ratings:
    +186
  2. Dave Weystoner

Dave Weystoner Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Don't go for one big book - just choose a selection of Ian Rankin or Christopher Brookmyre. Rankin's Inspector Rebus series are linked on a timeline, so are effectively one book, and Brookmyre's are interlinked with common characters, so could be taken as a single book with a very broad canvas.

They're cracking reads, too, as long as you're not anti-Scottish.

Dave
  3. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +878
    I used to read everything Stephen King brought out and would heartily recommend IT. One of my favourite books of all time. Please don't be put off by the god awful tv mini-series.
  4. andyk

andyk Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

A tremendous book.

Also, the best book I've read - East of Eden by Steinbeck.
  5. sunnybacon

sunnybacon Active Member

Ratings:
    +436
    The Godfather by Mario Puzo - everyone knows what this is about
    Fatherland by Robert Harris - based on an alternative history theory where Hitler won the war. Excellent read.
    Eragon - OK, it's a kid's/teenager's fantasy/magic book. I enjoyed it :rotfl:
  6. DOBLY

DOBLY Member

Ratings:
    +153
    The Book of Dave - Will Self.
  7. miceri

miceri Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Nightsdawn(?) Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. 3 books all approx 1200 pages. EACH!

Impossible to put down until finished...

A scarily true scenario of science assistance humanity amongst the stars 3-400 years in the future.
  8. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

Stephen King's The Stand is good, but the final page of the "finale coda" kills the whole story dead! :(

If you really want a challenge, how about "Rememberance Of Things Past" by Marcel Proust - runs to about 2300 pages, in 2 thick volumes, or to about 6 smaller paperbacks of about 500 pages each. Also known as "A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu"! I did try and read it earlier this year, and only made it to about 150 pages through Part 1 of Volume 1, before giving up. It's very, very heavy going!

Alternatively:

"War And Peace" - Leo Tolstoy
    "The Brothers Karamazov" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    "Infinite Jest" - David Foster Wallace, who killed himself earlier this month :(

Pooch
  9. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,489
    Another epic from King is the Dark Tower series - seven books with one continuous story - a great read - I read them all back-to-back a couple of years ago. There is a little repetition as the books were originally released over a period of about 20 years. They are all great books - sort of the key-stone of King's different universes - sometimes a character or location from another book crops up, or even an actual book itself.

Difficult to summarise, except it's not a horror. An old-west, scifi/fantasy, quest, road-trip type of thing, with the central character being the last of a line of noble old-western type law-men, who is Clint Eastwood in all but name.

Anyway - I recommend it - would keep you busy for a while.
  10. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,320
    If you're even remotely interested in the Merlin / Arthur myths, try out Stephen Lawheads Pendragon Cycles, most excellent! His Songs of Albion series is also brilliant IMHO, which touches on Celtic mythology.
  11. Sqwonk

Sqwonk Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks guys for a lot of great pointers, that should keep me busy for a while.
    Much appreiciated :thumbsup:
  12. Duncan G

Duncan G Active Member

Ratings:
    +704
  13. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
  14. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,643
    Red storm Rising is excellent , although not a JR story . Without Remorse is my favourite , I think
    Debt of Honour followed by Executive orders would be a good 2000+ page read iirc

The Warlord Chronicles (Bernard Cornwell) are another good take on the Arthurian Legend
  15. GasDad

GasDad Remembered (1964-2012)

Ratings:
    +766
    I'll second the vote for Cryptonomicon - a truly magnificent book - though sometimes hard work.

The Jack Ryan Novels though the stories are brilliant, and the politics at least makes you think,, the writing is sometimes awful. That said I'd vote for Sum of all Fears.

If you haven't read Harry Potter, give the series a whirl - sure it's aimed at teenagers, but all of them are superbly written, in particular the narrative is handled incredibly well.

If you would like some non fiction, - try if you have a mathematical bent - "Godel Escher Bach an eternal golden braid " - by Hofstadter. One of the great books of the twentieth century.
  16. vinvader

vinvader Member

Ratings:
    +190
    That's what I was going to recommend, very epic great story! :smashin:

I read it years ago and I think it's about time I read it again!

:thumbsup:
  17. vinvader

vinvader Member

Ratings:
    +190
  18. Digger

Digger Active Member

Ratings:
    +216
  19. Epicurus

Epicurus Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    Seconding the Stand that's a real monster sized book.

Also consider his Dark Tower series, it's set over 7 books and he spent about 25 years writing them, no joke! Last one was finished a couple of years ago. Although in seperate books, the story itself is continuous and completely brilliant. I started reading the first one when I was 12 years old at school, and thanks to having to wait for him to finish writing them, I was 24 when I finished.

Now that's a long book!

P.S. this isn't the usual King stuff, ie none of it is really like a horror novel, it's more like a long Western with a bit of supernatural/fantasy thrown in.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  20. supahyp

supahyp Member

Ratings:
    +67
    The Bonfire of The Vanities by Tom Wolfe is just superb .
  21. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,501
    Forced to read a few chapter as I forgot to take an alternative book the other day... much less of a chore than Oliver Twist and I have now picked up a habit of saying "Pip" to everybody, but still slightly weary and dancing around before getting to the point
  22. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged Active Member

Ratings:
    +528
    Read 'The Dictionary'.
    Spoiler:
    The Zebra did it.

The Lord of the Rings is the greatest book ever written. It's all you'll ever need :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008