Recommend me a good thick book

Sqwonk

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests i am an avid reader and enjoy nothing more than to get stuck into the meatier epic type books (800+ pages). I have read the thicker James A Michener novels and enjoyed them very much, also the classic James Clavells "Shogun" and "Noble House". So can anyone point me toward a thicker type book that they have enjoyed and that i may have missed? or indeed an author that may have escaped me that writes the larger novel.

Not thick but Oliver Twist will be hard for you - just so boring for me to get through! Returning the book as Dickens has crushed my spirit and I cannot be bothered with Great Expectations

Not thick but Oliver Twist will be hard for you - just so boring for me to get through! Returning the book as Dickens has crushed my spirit and I cannot be bothered with Great Expectations
That's a shame as Great Expectations is one of my favourite books. I agree though that some of Dicken's other works can be a bit of a slog. A Tale of Two Cities springs to mind.

As far as 800+ page books, I can only think of the obvious ones like the LOTR and the Dark Materials trilogies which, when all the books in the trilogy are combined, should equal more then 800 pages.

I've also got A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth waiting for me on my bookshelf and that's 1300+ pages long, but I can't imagine reading a book so long. I admire Sqwonk's reading stamina :)

May I heartily recommend 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom' by T E Laurence, South by Sir Ernest Shackleton, The Journals of Capt R F Scott RN or finally
A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pillars-Wis...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222531951&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/South-Endur...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222531800&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journals-Ca...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222531868&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridge-Too-...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222532069&sr=1-4

Classic books that put the Great back into Britain!

Edit: I've just finished reading Great Expectations but it wasn't all I hoped for.....

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That's a shame as Great Expectations is one of my favourite books. I agree though that some of Dicken's other works can be a bit of a slog. A Tale of Two Cities springs to mind.

As far as 800+ page books, I can only think of the obvious ones like the LOTR and the Dark Materials trilogies which, when all the books in the trilogy are combined, should equal more then 800 pages.

I've also got A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth waiting for me on my bookshelf and that's 1300+ pages long, but I can't imagine reading a book so long. I admire Sqwonk's reading stamina :)

Hmm "A suitable boy" i'll check it out, thanks for the pointer :smashin:

Tom Clancy and his Jack Ryan world novels ?

Hi,

How about "War & Peace" Leo Tolstoy or "The Gulag Archipelago" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn?

Suave!

Jade from big brother wrote an auto bio i think ...she's pretty thick so I assume the book is pretty thick ...ok it may not be good.

Hi,

How about "War & Peace" Leo Tolstoy or "The Gulag Archipelago" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn?

Suave!

Thanks...The Gulag Archipelago, indeed a great book (read some time ago) war and peace i have attempted twice over the years and just cant seem to manage that one.

Jade from big brother wrote an auto bio i think ...she's pretty thick so I assume the book is pretty thick ...ok it may not be good.

Jade wrote that huh? hmmm

Not a big fan myself ,but you could try the Bible
I quickly flicked through it, but it seems bit too far fetched.

I've also got A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth waiting for me on my bookshelf and that's 1300+ pages long, but I can't imagine reading a book so long.

I thought the same when Mrs Peridot told me 'you must read this' but when I got around to it my life was enriched by being taken over by that book for a few weeks.

Wild Swans is another epic well worth the time invested :smashin:

Cant go far wrong with The Count of Monte Cristo, Dumas, brilliant book.

I thought the same when Mrs Peridot told me 'you must read this' but when I got around to it my life was enriched by being taken over by that book for a few weeks.

Wild Swans is another epic well worth the time invested :smashin:

"Wild Swans" Just checked it out on Amazon...looks very interesting...thanks given :smashin:

Last edited:
Stephen Kings - The Stand - if you like that sort of thing at 1300+

Nice one thanks...i always seem to overlook Stephen King, i'll give it a whirl.
Thanks given :smashin:

If you like fantasy novels, there is the wheel of time series - i think about 13 big books!

Whether you like sci fi or not, I would suggest Dune as a very good book to read.

Is it only fiction you are looking for or non fiction as well?

Shaz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom