1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realtek HD - S/PDIF -> Subwoofer not working properly

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Fuwex, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Fuwex

Fuwex Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hey all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I suppose since it's Sound card driver-related, it'd fall under Sound Cards.

I bought an Acer 5920g laptop rather recently, and I've been connecting it to my receiver (Jamo DMR 61) every now and then to watch movies etc. The connection and surround works brilliantly, however the subwoofer does not.

The laptop came with Vista, but after some time of torment, I installed XP instead. (The subwoofer doesn't work properly in either OS's - seems to be the exact same)

I'm using the Realtek HD Audio drivers and Manager software. My laptop is connected to my receiver through Optical (digital) out, with S/PDIF. I've set Realtek HD to use Dolby Digital Live, which I think should send a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal through S/PDIF through optical out. However, bass simply doesn't reach the subwoofer. The only exception as far as I can tell, is if I click on the subwoofer image under "Audio I/O" in the Realtek HD Audio Manager (XP). If I do the same under "Bass Management", nothing happens, which occurs to me as strange.

The fact that it can control the subwoofer within Audio I/O pretty much proves it's a problem with the driver, not the soundcard, I would assume.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Oh, and by the way - if I connect my PS3 (still through optical) to my receiver, the subwoofer works OK, which I assume should verify that the problem is with the Realtek HD.

Hope I've provided enough information - if I haven't, please don't hesitate to ask for more!

Thanks,
    Fuwex
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. dogbert

dogbert Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Disable DDLive in the realtek drivers, enable SPDIF passthrough in your playback software. That's the way it's ought to be for quality reasons anyway.
  3. Fuwex

Fuwex Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I can do that with VLC I think - is it possible to accomplish in WMP as well? (I can't remember finding any options for it, but then again I didn't look specifically)

I'd like to be able to have everything sound-related to use the subwoofer properly, as I tend to play games etc., as well as listen to music while hooked up to the receiver and my TV. Is that possible?
  4. dogbert

dogbert Member

Ratings:
    +28
    WMP uses DirectShow filters like AC3Filter or the ones from PowerDVD/WinDVD - if you set up "SPDIF passthrough" in their settings, the ac3/dts streams are forwarded.
    You might also want to check out Media Player Classic - it has internal filters which are more reliable. spdif passthrough vlc is unfortunately somewhat buggy at the moment.
    I don't know whether the realtek drivers block the SPDIF port when DDLive is enabled or not, but my guess would be that they do, so turning it off before playing media is advisable.
  5. Fuwex

Fuwex Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ok, thanks for your help! I did a test with VLC and SPDIF and it worked fine (that is, after I set the default audio output module to Win32 waveOut Extension Output). I didn't have the time to do thorough testing though, and the source I tested with was only stereo, but hopefully it'll work with other sources as well.

Now to solve the nvidia HDMI overscan issue...
  6. bphhm

bphhm Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have similar problems, but in my case it is the backchannels that are not working