Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RE Audio XXX 12 Subwoofer Build (+PICS!)

Discussion in 'DIY Subwoofer Build' started by HOT10238276, Oct 9, 2011.

1. HOT10238276

HOT10238276 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    After looking at prices for a good quality home cinema subwoofer, from the likes of REL and paradigm, ive decided to build my own for alot less and hopefully better quality.

I have experience in car subwoofers and building enclosures for them, so thought it couldnt be much different. WOULD LIKE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET, i want it to be the best it can so ALL views and opinions will be appreciated.

Decided to use a RE Audio XXX v4 12" driver. It has won various SQ competitions in car shows and has impressive specs to say the least. Very flat response and sounds smooth and defined.
    Thought it would be the best choice for a driver in these circumstances.

I would like some help on the enclosure, i have one prebuilt and would like some views on it. Airspace is 3 cuft after port displacement. Slot port is tuned to 33hz and approx 35 square inch of port area.
    would this be ok, anyone can help with modelling on WINISD for me please :)
    Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. Member 639844

Member 639844 Former Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,134
    I suspect the cabinet is to small for in home use,and the 33hz tuning would seem to back that up as 33hz isnt really low enough for proper HT use,not if you want to reach your design goals. Gimme 5 to model it.
  3. Member 639844

Ratings:
    +1,134
    OK, honest opinion time.

Scrap that box. For good performance right down to 15 hz, which is what your goal should be IMHO, then you need a 100 litre cabinet with a 15 hz tune. The problem your going to have is porting it, as ports of adequate size will be difficult to implement and will likely be noisey. This will likely dictate a higher tune of 20ish hz, which will still be ok, but this sub wont be plumbing the infra sonics that way. This driver just isnt designed to be used this way, so you will likely have to compromise somewhere.

Personally, I would be more inclined to stick it in a 75 litre sealed enclosure and give it 2000 watts of power, it just works better that way. It will go a good bit deeper and its designed to take loads of power like that. You also wouldnt need a HPF and it would be more musical, as well as being better suited to going deeper for HT use. It will go 100db flat to 10hz this way, ported it will give about 115 db in room, but only go down to about 18hz, the cab will be much larger and you can only use about half the motors power handling.

I do have a couple questions though. Are you after a no holds barred LFE generating sub, or something with a bit more to it, with better sound quality thats good for movies and music. We can make this perform in a vented cab, but it would have to be pretty large and it would be lacking in upper bass slam a bit.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  4. HOT10238276

HOT10238276 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    first of all, just want to say i really appreciate the time you spent and the quality of your reply. THANK YOU! :smashin:

i heard the sub plays best sealed also. Im after the best of both worlds, since i play movies and music through my system.
    size isnt too much of a problem since its going in a dedicated home theatre room in the garage.

sealed would be alot easier i suspect, but guessing vented will allow better output.
    the current enclosure is 3.6cubes (just over 100litres) without port displacement.
    could i seal off the vent and run it that way with good results?

p.s. whats the reason for going below 20hz?? rumble and feel?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. Member 639844

Ratings:
    +1,134
    sub 20hz output will make a lot of difference for films, it provides bass you wont really hear but can feel, and it also makes a difference to the feel of the bass you do hear.

For sealed, you dont really want to go much larger than 75 litres, but you can seal it and see what you think, and play with the volume. Displace some volume and see what you think of how it sounds at 75 litres, and compare that to the 100 litres volume. Choose the one you like the best. You need to a good beefy amp for this driver though, so dont skimp on power. Something like a Behringer iNuke like the NU3000 would be my suggestion, then bridge it.

This could be made to work in a ported cab, but it would need to be a lot bigger. My preference would be the sealed as the sound quality from it would be better, but thats my preference. You could always try a ported cab later and see what you think, a basic raw cab isnt that expensive.
  6. HOT10238276

HOT10238276 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help moonfly, ill go sealed then mate :)

ill probably make a new box at 75 litres, for now ill give it a go in the pre built one but block the port and stick a couple of bricks inside or something to hear it at 75 litres.
  7. zunglam

zunglam Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Have you had a chance to test this out yet? How does it sound?
  8. HOT10238276

HOT10238276 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    extremely low and loud...the sink in the kitchen starts to vibrate and cups rattle :eek:
  9. thecornfords@go

thecornfords@go Member

Ratings:
    +24
    any chance of some pics??
  10. MattSPL

MattSPL Member

Ratings:
    +27
    How are you getting on with the XXX 12?

Interested to hear how this performs. Did you go for a 75L sealed box in the end?

Cheers
    Matt
  11. HOT10238276

HOT10238276 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ill get some pics posted, its braced internally with some wooden beams and has been covered in grey carpet.

very worthwhile project to do for anyone into home cinema builds
  12. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,228
    what amp did you go for to run that bad boy.