1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rate my HTPC spec please

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Elvenmunky, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Elvenmunky

Elvenmunky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right I am on the verge of buying this and has not been bought yet but if you have any suggestions then please say so. Cheers.

CPU - i3 Sandybridge

RAM - Crucial Ballistix 4gb DDR3 1600mhz

SSD - Crucial M4 64GB (OS drive)

CASE - Silverstone Milo (A good cheap case)

MOBO - Asus P8Z68-M (Z68, Matx, SATA3, USB3, HDMI)

CASE FANS - Xilence Red Wing (silent, good reviews)

CPU COOLER - Shuriken Scythe (low profile to fit case)

PSU - Antec 380 Green (supposed to be silent and power efficient)

KEYBOARD - Logitech K400 Touch Keypad

The BD-RW and GPU will come later when they go a bit cheaper and I have already got a HDD.

Is this an okay build? Or is it overkill? Any amendments?
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
    That CPU cooler is 130mm high, the case is 105mm high so will not fit.
    Personally if you are building a HTPC with maybe some basic games then get the AMD APU's with a 75 motherboard. You end up with a good HTPC, low power and good graphics all built in (upto 6550 AMD).
    AMD A-Series Multi Core - Socket FM1 - Scan.co.uk
    Asus F1A75-M AMD A75 Socket FM1 Motherboard - 90-MIBGK0-G0EAY0GZ - Scan.co.uk
    300watt power supply is more than enough.
    You may find the stock cooler is already quiet enough, but height could be your problem.
  3. gagaga

gagaga Member

Ratings:
    +40
    If it's for HTPC use only, go with the AMD Fusion E series - plenty powerful enough, lossless audio, proper 24p support etc, and you can get fanless models. Zotac make an itx model with inbuilt psu and no fan (I use one) - works perfectly with xbmc / windows media centre (I'm using XBMC+windows 7 to get DTS-MA/TrueHD audio).

This assumes it's a network client only - if you're loading up with HDDs, then you should probably look at the a-series as Andy says.
  4. Elvenmunky

Elvenmunky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think im going to stick with the i3 then whack in a gt430 soon. I heard the i3 is a better processor and I am not going to use the HTPC for any gaming as such. Good idea? I just want immaculate and smooth PQ and good SQ for my Onkyo Amp.
  5. DavidT

DavidT Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Make sure you get a passive GT430 otherwise your going to be dissappointed with the noise levels.

BTW I have one 80mm Xilence Red Wing fan in my ML03 case, it is not silent but is quiet enough.

David
  6. Elvenmunky

Elvenmunky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate. Would you have any suggestions as to what would be decent quiet fans in your case? Btw how is the case? Any good? As I am planning to buy the exact same model.
  7. spacemanc

spacemanc Member

Ratings:
    +69
    If you are sticking with the i3, and it's just for HTPC use, then the ATI HD6450 is the GPU to get. It costs around £30 for a 1GB passive version.
  8. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic Member

Ratings:
    +52
    The video output on the Intel Core i chips is inferior to that which is in the AMD APU CPU's. It is also meant to have some problems with 24 fps playback in some cases. It might be worth researching that or someone else who has experience of it posting because it's only something that I have seen mentioned on a few occasions.

The Intel CPU's are faster and more efficient but will probably require a separate graphics card in order to work well with some content if the comments I have read are to be believed. That will drive up power usage and then be worse than the AMD APU's in terms of energy consumption. That would also mean a higher price than AMD for something which doesn't really offer anything worth paying the extra for.
  9. Elvenmunky

Elvenmunky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the suggestions. The only reason I want the i3 + gpu is so I can future proof it for 3d playback. If the amd has no problems with HD sound, supports dtshd, can play 3d then I shall gladly buy that. However socket f1 is going to be obsolete soon whereas 1155 will run for another few years. Also nvidia have constant updates whereas ati have one each month.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012