Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random warning light Audi A4 2.0Tdi

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by KelvinS1965, May 12, 2009.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,639
    My company Audi A4 2.0 Tdi gave me an engine management warning light today (the go plug symbol flashing). I was nearly at my first job so continued for the last 10 miles. When I arrived the car wouldn't restart at first and whe it did the light continued to flash. However at lunchtime it started normally and no flashing light, so the Audi dealer said there was no point taking it in without the light flashing as they wouldn't be able to get a fault code. :confused: I drove back home (about 70 miles of mostly motorway) and had no further lights, but I'm going away in a few weeks time in it so it's making me a bit nervous (my last car a VW Passat did a similar trick, then failed completely on the way to the airport :mad:).

As I'm a little dissapointed with the economy being a couple of mpg less than my heavier and more powerful Passat I wonder if there is an underlying issue and whether it would be worth booking it in anyway (it's more the PITA of having to empty all my stock and tools out into a hire car that's putting me off TBH).

Any thoughts?
  2. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,744
    Is yours a 140bhp 2.0tdi, or a 170bhp one?
    If it's the 140bhp, I don't know what the light could be.
    If it's the 170bhp, it could well be the dreaded DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) warning light.
    This often comes on in VAG cars fitted with DPF, because the filter is clogged (due to town/slow driving) and needs to go through a 'recycle'.
    The manual will tell you what is required, but it usually means the car needs driven hard for a good few miles.
    VAG actually go as far as saying their DPF equipped cars should not be considered if you do a lot of town driving!

With regard to the 2.0tdi fuel consumption, mine was disappointing too.
    I had a 140bhp 2.0tdi A3.
    I struggled to get low 40's.

Meanwhile, I'm getting high 40's from my 200bhp diesel BMW.
    It's not fitted with the stop-start function either.
    So the evidence is, to me, that BMW simply make more efficient diesels than Audi.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Del45

Del45 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I'm afraid your dealer was telling you porkies, it should have left a fault code on the ECU that the dealer can interrogate.

I also think that with a flashing light you are supposed to stop the car and call out Audi Assist, with a steady light you are supposed to drive it straight to a dealer if it drives OK.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. abdus

abdus Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Get a scan with vagcom and look for any fault codes

Log on on AS.net and check if there is anyone in your area who might be able to help.

check this thread which has all the members who have vagcom:

Members with VAG.COM - Audi-Sport.net

If you are not too far, I can do the scan for you
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,639
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I had a feeling that Audi was telling me porkies, but as it's been okay today (another 130 miles round trip) then I'll see how it goes. It's a company car and leased at that, so I can't take it anywhere other than the main dealer as I wouldn't get the cost back on expenses (and I'm in enough trouble with the moat cleaning and swimming pool I claimed for last month :D;)).

It's the base 120BHP model (the only one in my budget) hence why I'm dissapointed with only 42mpg, when I used to get 44-45mpg out of my old Passat 2.0 Tdi 140PS model. I do mostly long distance trips at least 100 miles a day often twice that (I went to Truro and back last week - 520 mile round trip in a day :eek:), so I doubt it is the filter clogging up. I don't trash the car (only just started using over 3,000 rpm now I've got to nearly 8,000 miles (only three months old :eek: ), so I feel a bit peeved with the economy and a now this issue.

I'll see if I can get it booked in for a check up now I'm armed with the knowledge that this should have registered a fault code. :smashin:

PS: I'm NOT an MP before anyone gets on their high horse about expenses.....I'm lucky to get my bussiness fuel money back in my job!
  6. abdus

abdus Member

Ratings:
    +139
    vagcom won't change anything on the car mate. It will just scan for the fault codes and clear them if necessary. It's not like a dogdy software :)

It's almost as good as the ones used in VAG dealers. I might say that it has some more features too.

Anyway, hope the problem gets sorted asap

and :rotfl: at the expenses' bit
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Ayub

Ayub Active Member

Ratings:
    +551
    Ideally, you would reset the ecu and then let it show a code. Remove both battery terminals wait 1 minute leave drivers door open reconnect battery put key in ignition turn rngine over while drivers door is opne for 60 seconds and then read the code :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Del45

Del45 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I would not recommend clearing the fault codes as described above.

A work mate had his Golf break down, the AA attended and cleared the codes the car was then taken to a dealer, because the car was not running they could not replicate the codes and it cost him a fortune because they had to go by trial and error.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. abdus

abdus Member

Ratings:
    +139
    the software that AA uses and vagcom are different. I think the AA use portable fault code readers. The vagcom is actually used from a pc/laptop/

the fault will come back IF the problem persists. It doesn't clear the fault while the problem/fault is still there. A log of the faults can actually be saved :)

no light= no fault code= no problem :smashin:
  10. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,639
    I'm just wondering how loing my fault will stay away.....
  11. Ayub

Ayub Active Member

Ratings:
    +551
    Untill it has been fixed or cleared.

The only problem with a fault code, it will give you a rough idea to where the problem is. Any good garage will have one and tbh most cars "suffer" common "problems" related to their model. :thumbsup:
  12. dornierdrier

dornierdrier Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi guys
    i had the same warning light on my 2.0tdi 125kw 2007 model .it was accompanied by a power loss but when the car was re started the problem went away ....temporeraly..it took audi two months and 500km to find the problem
    the turbo was replaced and this fixed the problem ..
    but the car seemd less powerfull after all their fooling about ..
    i drove the car for another 100 km and had the same light again , this time they replaced the temperature sensor before the turbo.
    now the car has even less power, and ill be taking it back again...

i found an article about the turbo fitted to the car which stipulated that if the setup is not correct it will reslt in the turbo either over boosting or not coming in at the correct time which then causes the car not to be sluggish through the gear range and correct only at lfirst and second gear

i hpe this helps and if any one has feedback please contact me ..Ed HERBST
  13. sean5302

sean5302 New Member

Ratings:
    +84
    For the info of several people in this thread...

Audi makes cars in Ingoldstadt. It does not operate any dealerships within Europe.

The glass palaces that people are referring to are not Audi but are franchisees such as Sytner, Evans Halshaw etc.

I'm sure nobody on this thread has been back to Audi. Merely back to a franchisee.
  14. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    So you're distancing yourself from your franchisees?
    As I see it, if people have problems with your franchisees they perceive it as being a problem with Audi, surely?
    The direct link is there.
    If they go to a main dealer, they perceive they're dealing with Audi.
    If they go to an independent, they don't think that.
  15. sean5302

sean5302 New Member

Ratings:
    +84
    It's a very misrepresented system.

The manufacturer makes vehicles. The dealer sells them.

I remember when Mercedes tried to set up it's own UK dealer network alongside existing Merc retailers.

Those retailers then started a class action as the manufacturer was now competing with them in retail.

Mercedes persisted and now owns most of their UK retail network.

They had to pay millions in compensation to franchisees, who then came to other manufacturers, such as ourselves.

We offer advice and training to the franchisees. We offer a customer helpline facility whose job is to protect those franchisees and guide them as to how best satisfy a retail customer. We have no right of direction of those franchisees, who operate autonomously.
  16. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    I understand the system, god knows I had enough opportunity to probe it during my hellish three years with an A3.:rolleyes:
    But the fact is people directly link main dealers with Audi.
    So if the dealer is crap, Audi are crap.

In defence of these dealers though, many of their problems are caused by Audi.
    For example, look at how many people have had DPF problems.
    Not the dealer's fault, Audi's fault.
    Or Audi saying less than 1000 miles per litre of oil is 'within tolerances' (from the user manual of my ridiculously oil-thirsty A3).
    Again, not the dealer's fault, Audi's fault.
  17. sean5302

sean5302 New Member

Ratings:
    +84
    People buy vehicles which are unsuitable for the use to which they put them.

DPF is an answer to EU5 emissions requirements. If "Doris" uses her A3 for repeated half-mile trips to the Post Office and never warms it up, the DPF system will soot up, let alone her A6 etc.

"Doris" may arrive at a dealership awash with money. The ideal car may well be the cheapest on-site. Do you think the salesman will recommend that model?
  18. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    That's just trying to pass the blame for a technical fault onto the dealer or end-user.
    Driving slowly/urban driving is hardly unreasonable use for something like an A3.
    It's not like they're expecting it go over a mountain, that would be unreasonable.
    Besides, as I have said in another post below, the DPF problems are not restricted to town drivers only, as shown to me by umpteen threads on an Audi forum.
    IMO, the fact is Audi have a problem with DPFs that other manufacturers don't.
    I'm going to mention BMW because it's a known quantity to me, but you hardly ever (if ever) see DPFs mentioned on their forums.
    They just don't seem to have an issue with them.

So, just out of interest.
    If I were to want an Audi for urban driving, which one would you recommend?
    Just curious, as if the A3 (Audi's smallest current car) isn't suitable, which one is?:confused:
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  19. sean5302

sean5302 New Member

Ratings:
    +84
    I'm afraid that it would be inappropriate for me to recommend a vehicle based on a single or few user requirements.

I'd have to recommend you to contact your local dealer and discuss your full requirements there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BMW make some excellent vehicles. Some of their engines suffer problems. Look at their cambelt recalls and subsequent redesign to chain cam.

Audi has some designs that were brilliant, like the initial TDi engine (world's most thermally efficient car engine) the FSi with stratified charge injection and my TSi with supercharger and turbocharger.

It's horses for courses. I wouldn't recommend DPF technology for sustained town driving. The problem is that the EU wants us to produce vehicles with minimal emissions.

Toyota has gone down the hybrid route, just transferring the problem to extra-urban traffic. My TSi engine can deliver 65mpg when fitted to a Golf, A3, A4 etc as a combined consumption. A Prius struggles to deliver 25mpg on the combined cycle, yet is perceived as "greener".

An Indian GWizz claims zero emissions yet the electricity will be produced by a power station such as Drax. Maybe 30% conversion efficiency if you're lucky and then 90% transmission loss down the National Grid. Much less efficient than an average diesel.

For sustained town use I recommend a non-DPF 1.4 litre petrol or diesel. Have you seen the latest Polo, A3, Leon, Golf, Fabia etc?
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  20. dornierdrier

dornierdrier Member

Ratings:
    +1
    obviously audi the wishes to distance its self from its customers , if what you are saying is true ..this then leads me to think that audi has its head in the sand with certain problems relating to its vehicles ,since no body has any answers regardless who you talk to !!! let us all pass the buck and thus no one is responsible ???

but remember that every person driving an audi, merk or any other car for that matter is a representitive of that company ie if im happy i tell my palls what a good car and indirectly good company this is , but when things go wrong and continue to go wrong ,the media eventualy get wind of it and have a ball...

you obviously work for audi or a franchise as you call it .dont think we are fools you all represent audi in the public eye and you will never be able to seperate one from the other......

the technical department at my "franchise" sends all of the technical details of errors found by the computer directly to audi deutsland or wher ever its located and is analysed there by their technical department .... i am sure all the other franchises work the same way all over the world . this means that they are in close contact with audi and as far as i am concerned in the country i live in are audi for all intents and pourpouses....

now why dont you stop crying about who audi actualy is and find a f@#$ solution to the problem instead of wasting our time:devil:
  21. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,425
    sean5302 is a longstanding and very helpful member of this community, who could have easily distanced himself by keeping completely quiet about who he works for. That he doesn't is a credit to him, even if the message he passes on is not universally popular (don't shoot the messenger)so I respectively suggest you take the whinging tone out of your posting...
    If you genuinely seek an answer to your problem I wouldn't recommend doing your best to **** off someone who may have been able to help.
    Dave
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  22. dornierdrier

dornierdrier Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i apreciate the fact that sean5302 is a longstanding and very helpful member of this community. and i therfore submit my apology to him .

the fact remains that i have a problem that is not going away regardless of who i talk to , and so forgive me for being a little short when i am told that i am dealing with a crystal pallace and not audi....if this is so then who am i dealing with and what do i do about my problem , since i cant go to my dealer and i am unfortunate enough not to live in germany so that i can go direct to the manufacturer.

ps i need an answer and not a petty argument:oops:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    If you're not happy with your dealer service, phone Audi customer services on 0800 699888.
    Plenty of people on Audi forums report problems being resolved via this route.
    Good luck.:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1