Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about 400hz and 800hz motion processing vs native panel refresh rates

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by vyleside, Jan 2, 2012.

1. vyleside

vyleside Member

Ratings:
    +3
    From what I understand, the fastest "true" panel refresh rate is 200hz. However, with Sony and Samsung TVs claiming 400 and 800hz motion processing, I don't quite understand how it would work.

Like for like motion processing makes sense, in that if a screen is displaying 50hz content, but refreshing 100 times a second, it has "room" to add an extra 50 interpolated frames, but surely if a TV can display 200 frames per second, forcing it to display 400 would just add motion blur?

Can somebody explain how it actually works, because I sell TVs for a living and even manufacturer reps can't explain it. They usually default to, "The screen is fast, and it's processing the picture, and then you get the backlight making it brighter, or something and they add it together to make 800hz" which really doesn't actually explain anything.
  2. Only777

Only777 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    My understanding is that 400hz/800hz are for want of a better word "marketing gimmicks"

Understanding Clear Motion Rate (CMR) | Facebook

Like you say, 100fps is that max that current frame interpolation works at

The backlight scanning adds a perceived 200hz effect

The 400hz / 800hz seem to be manufacturer inventions to describe the panel just being better quality ? . For example the d7000/8000 are rated at 800hz but i can't imagine they refresh anywhere near that rate in reality.

There must come a point where increased refresh rate would be wasted on the human eye?