Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad 405-2 and Quad 34 - Anyone know much about these amps?

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by goatywoaty, Nov 29, 2006.

1. goatywoaty

goatywoaty Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Hiya guys,

I have recently acquired a quad 405-2 power amp and a 34 pre-amp. I'm not sure if they work properly or not as I don't think have been used for a few years, so thought I should get them serviced first to make sure everything is alright...Does anyone know how much quad charge to service things? If they needed any repairs, does anyone know if quad are expensive in that regard?

Also does anyone have any info on these models - do they compare to todays hifi in terms of sound quality? A quick scan on google seemed to give me the impression that the 405-2 is quite a powerful and good quality amp....

Any opinions or information on either of these amps would be great, I have enclosed a couple of pics if anyone could help me date them? (I understand that different colours ones denote different ages) Also the 34 has a CD button so surely it can't be that old?

Looking forward to any responses! :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      Size:
      15.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      Size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      Size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
  2. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,018
  3. goatywoaty

goatywoaty Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for the response, I have done but they haven't got back to me yet, mite give them a call if I don't hear anything back soon :)
  4. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Quad's service dept has always been superb,and it may well be worth your while ringing them,as I did when pricing up a service and set of tubes for my ancient Quad IIs.

The servicing costs seemed very reasonable at the time.

The 405-2 is a very reasonable amp,and under-rated by many but beautifully made and pretty good value secondhand....the sound by today's standards is a little soft,but a good service may rectify a bit of that.
  5. Paul Williams

Paul Williams Member

Ratings:
    +16
    The 34 pre' dates back over twenty years now and the 405 even more - I'm still using one (with the matching tuner and 306 power amp) that we have in our living room. The build quality of both the 34/405 is very good and I'd only really worry about 'a service' if they look as though they've not been used for awhile or stored in a damp environment. Can't comment on Quad's service as mine have never gone wrong (in over 20 years) but do get used daily.

As your 34 has DIN sockets it is an early one (later ones had RCA's and different colour buttons) and the -2 designation puts the 405 toward later production so they probably are reasonably contemporary with each other.

By today's standards the sound could be classed as a bit polite and lacking in bass drive and definition. However, I feel they actually match many modern speakers, with their overly bright and under-damped execution (which to these ears always sound too aggressive) very well.

Paul
  6. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    I agree with that. Both on the comment about modern speakers and the Quads ability to tame them. The 34 is better piece of kit, as Quads power amps in that period weren't as good as they'd hoped in the switch from valve, or those of the excellent Quad resurgence amps in the 90's. Although, having said that, for the time, they were still very nice amps.

However, I'd agree with Paul, that while a little 'laid back' they are easy on the ear and suit modern metal dome tweeter speakers nicely.

I've got the specs for the 34/405 somewhere if you want them?
  7. goatywoaty

goatywoaty Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Hiya guys,

Many thanks for the info you have given me :thumbsup:

I have just been in touch with Quad and been told that to get them both serviced it is going to cost £160 and that is without parts! I'm sitting here thinking crikey that could cost me a packet if they needed things doing to them!

Thanks for the offer of the specs overkill, I think i've seen them online though :)

Surprised about your comment regarding the 405-2, from a bit of reading around, I thought that it was regarded as a very good power amp...

Again, thanks for the info guys, any more comments would be interesting, i'm going to go and ponder whether or not I should get them serviced!
  8. Caralfa

Caralfa Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What would it cost you to buy a 'new' pre amp and amp with a similar specification to the Quads? A lot more I think than the cost of a Quad Service even after paying for any new components that might be required.
    Don't forget that their service will replace any component that needs replacing to bring the equipment either back up to its original spec. or even better.
    Quad serviced my old 33 & 303 just over 25 years ago and afterwards it sounded better than 'new'. Plus it's still going strong even though it's now over 38 years old and I would still put it up against a lot of new amps etc. playing into my Transmission Electronics Ltd Studio Monitors (IMF) which are also pretty elderly.
    Despite hearing numerous 'Demos' over the years I haven't found much in the way of equipment that has made me want to update.
    Go for it, with the Quad, I don't think you will regret it. I remember hearing the 34 & 405's when they came out and if played through the right speakers, I think answered all their critics.
  9. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Oh, it is a good amp, but it never quite 'made it' to the recommended stage as Quad were finding it hard to convince the business at the time that their power amps were 'cutting edge'. If you read online they are complimentary 'now', but I have a few contemporary reviews and while they were praising the 405, they did have reservations. Those being what's been discussed already. A nice combo, but a bit too 'polite' to be cutting edge. Funny, that impression, going on Pauls comments, hasn't changed!

I liked the combi myself, a mate had it back in the late 80's, and added a pair of metal dome MA's and a Michell Gyro (and a two box Sony SE) to good effect in the early 90's.
  10. Paul Williams

Paul Williams Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I have a high regard for Quad gear and have had three successive set-ups (33/303, 44/405 & 34/306) Their polite nature is not a criticism on my part as I find I dislike most modern speakers I've heard and quite a few electronic components, I've always thought they sounded quite natural.

Paul
  11. goatywoaty

goatywoaty Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks again for the info guys :thumbsup: I think im going to try them out to see if they work - I need some speaker cables with banana plugs or just some banana plugs first though as the 405-2s outputs are in banana plug form (ive put up a wanted ad).

I powered them both up and the 405-2 didn't have any humming (i was told by quad that this was a good sign) so im hoping that is ok, and the 34 powered up fine but the input selector lights seemed a bit funny, so I think I may get this one serviced first :)
  12. ezrman

ezrman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hello

i need some help i like to know if quad 34 can be mathing with quad classic ll an old but in a good condition (2 mono block)

regards ezra
  13. Phlog

Phlog Member

Ratings:
    +173
    The 405/405II is actually a very poor amplifier. It was not designed to drive "difficult" speakers - that means anything under 8 ohms or presenting a difficult load. It has difficulty in producing defined bass, though the II version is better than the original. The treble is completely smoothed over, which means there's precious little insight. Most decent modern integrated amplifiers, say £500 and upwards, would run rings round either version. Although rated at about 100 watts, the effective output is in reality equivalent to less than half that.

Quad lived on its reputation for a long, long time. However, for most of that time (but NOT towards the end of the original company) it had a deserved reputation for excellent service.
  14. ryart

ryart Member

Ratings:
    +168
    I've used four generations of Quad amps over the years and found them very dependable and easy to match to a wide range of speakers including electrostatics and ribbon hybrids; not the easiest loads for an amp. At their new prices they always seemed expensive but to get significantly better required an investment of two or three times the amount. The 405 is a particularly good amp and the 606 and 909 don't really offer that much over it unless more power is required. At second hand prices, even with a service they are an incredibly good value.

As has been said they can sound a tad polite, but this can be a positive benefit when listening to music rather than assessing the sound. IME to get hair tingling detail in the sound without brashness costs a great deal of money, and even more money for compatible speakers and source. So... £160.00 sounds like quite a bargain to get both amps back to as new condition.

Whether or not they are the right amp for you depends on the rest of your equipment and how you like to listen to music. Compared with a pair of Quad 2/40 valve amps (about £3-4,000.00?) they are like moving from the stalls to the back half of the concert hall (classical that is). Going up to the more esoteric equipment can be like sitting in the best seats and being able to follow any thread of the music that you choose, given a decent recording of course.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  15. ezrman

ezrman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks
    as i said i have 2 mono block classic ll (2x15w) and an open baffle loudspeaker diy (altec 605 full range like yamamoto...) and its sound s very good but ineed some ideas to mathing preamp to the ampl and i like to know about quad 34 ... or only tubes preamp like conard -johnson (pv-10al;700$)

thanks again ezra:confused:
  16. ryart

ryart Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Sorry Ezra, I can't give a confident answer. Unless someone here comes up with the necessary experience I would try ringing the Quad service department.

Certainly modern equipment is much easier to mix and match than in the era your equipment comes from. The 44 control amp (bigger, uglier but more versatile than the 34) had a panel on the top with umpteen sliders to adjust to the sources and IIRC two differently specified outputs to match up to power amps.

Your speakers sound very intriguing; how big are they?
  17. ezrman

ezrman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you ryart for your help! i will looking for preamp that mathing my quad ampl ...
    and now about my loudspeakers 2 plates 100x90x2.5cmm
    approx in the mid altec 605 15" full rang( woofer and mid inside)you can see it in yamamoto site!
    96 or 97 db and on the top super tweeter pioneer pt 410f

with some capi as xover as i said its an open baffle
    later i hope to send some photos*
    i need some more infor about l.s. cables (even diy)

any recommendation

thanks again ezra:smashin: