Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q Acoustics versus KEF - weigh in

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by supersixone, Dec 22, 2011.

1. supersixone

supersixone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

I think I'm going to dip my toe in for either a Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 pack or the KEF KHT2005.3.

I think the KEF is prettier but seems to me the Q Acoustics has better sound.

Anyone care to weigh in and if there's an alternative that's even better and similarly priced, let me know.
  2. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
    A friend of mine had the Kef's, OK with Movies but with Music?????????
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,800
    The problem with the Kef system is that what you see is what you get, meaning that there is little room for upgrading in the future. Q Acoustic 2000, Acoustic Energy Neo, Tannoy Mercury, Wharfedale Diamond 10 all make a full range of speaker in those specific lines. Diamond 10 has 3 bookshelf, and 6 floorstanding models as well as 3 Center speakers, and 3 Subwoofers to choose from. For the moment that doesn't matter but in the future when you have more money and what a better system, the path is easy and clear.

Now the Kef by all accounts are certainly worth their price. They are probably one of the most popular Satellite models. But they are very very small and the front speaker aren't up to play music very well. So, to some extent, it depends on how much space you have available, if and when you might consider upgrading, and they types of content you will listen to.

There are legitimate reasons to get small satellite system, but if you don't have a specific need that demands this, then I don't recommend it. The Kef System you are looking at is in the £600 to £800 range depending on the source, you can get some pretty subtantial speakers for that price, and leave yourself room to grow in the future.

For example -

Q Acoustics 2050 Floorstanding 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

Even the Diamond 10.MT 5.1 system -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.MT 5.1 HOME CINEMA PACKAGE

The Diamond 10.4 5.1 system -

£330/pr = Diamond 10.4 (2x 5", 38hz)
    £149/ea = Diamond 10.CS Center
    £109/pr = Diamond 10.0 Rear
    £169/ea = Wharfedale SW150 Subwoofer
    ----------------
    £757/set = TOTAL

Compare this -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.4 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

to this -

Superfi - KEF HTS2001.3 SPEAKER (SINGLE)

and tell me which you think will make for the better Cinema experience?

Now the suggested speakers are at something of an extreme, you can do very well in bookshelf systems -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH SW150 SUBWOOFER

Most would suggest you upgrade the front speakers on this system to Diamond 10.1 or possible the larger Diamond 10.2 (10.0 = £109, 10.1 = £160, 10.2 = £220/pr). Even the most expensive upgrade is only, £110 more than the package price. You could also upgrade the Center to the Diamond 10.CS for about £50 more. All these options keep you under your Kef budget.

Superfi - Q ACOUSTICS 2000i 5.1 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER PACKAGE

Most would suggest this system be upgraded with Q-A 2020 in front, though for movie many people are very satisfied with the 2010 in front.

Again, you may have perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting and needing small Satellite speakers, but if you don't have real reasons, then I whole heartedly recommend you move up to a bookshelf system that allows you room to expand in the future.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Quite a number of KEF 'egg' owners have moved on to add IQ and Q range speakers to their existing setup, allowing them to move onto bigger and better packages. Thanks to their UniQ, they all mesh together well :)