1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q Acoustics Concept 20 Standmount Speaker Review

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by The News Bot, Mar 30, 2013.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot News Supplying Robot Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443
    Reviewed by Ed Selley, 30th March 2013. If you put the effort into the rest of the system, the price of astounding transparency just got a whole lot cheaper.
    Read the full review...
  2. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk Member

Ratings:
    +165
    What Fink has done is apply a technique called contrained-layer damping - two layers (usually of different thicknesses if of the same material...) with a viscous material in-between that damps vibration of the panels. It's not a novel engineering technique, although I'm not sure of any other speakers specifically that use it.

I like the column design of the speaker stands. A very attractive pairing with the speakers - Q Acoustic's aesthetics are simple but well-considered. With sound to match I should think these will prove popular.
  3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,755
    Even if we ignore the specifics, I'm unaware of another £350 speaker with a cabinet of remotely similar construction which would make the Concept 20 unusual even if the practise was common at higher price points.
  4. couto27

couto27 Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Nice review @ed selley

Has owner of Q7000 5.1 + Onkyo 609 and very happy with both, im thinking to get one pair of the Qconcept 20 speakers , and later upgrade to 5.1 when a center speaker and subwoofer came out (if they come out).

1- would the Onkyo 609 be enough to take enough "juice" and drive this speakers in 5.1 for cinema/music ?
    2- or what av receiver would match well with concept 20 ?
    onkyo 818
    pionner lx-56
    onkyo (2013)
    yamahas (2013)

3-Would i see considerable upgrade in sound quality price/performace over the Q7000 using option (1) or (2) ?

I also have a Rotel RA-11 with B&W685 in stereo mode, but i dont like the match with Rotel + Onkyo to upgrade the b&w to 5.1.

Regards
  5. aliflack

aliflack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm intrigued to see if QAcoustics offer a 5.1 set of these...or if not, how well they'd integrate with their existing 2000 and 7000 series :rolleyes:
  6. speedalini

speedalini Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will these speakers fit on the older 2000 series stands, or is the new bespoke version required?
  7. jas99

jas99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi i would just like to ask as the epic 1 was used for comparison and sounded a bit confused in the midrange, and you stated that the epic 5 was one of your favorite speakers, does it suffer the same lack of clarity as the epic 1.
  8. fswift

fswift Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is anyone using these as part of a 5.1?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts
  9. sergiup

sergiup Active Member

Ratings:
    +513
    There's no reason for them not to work as a 5.0 set, the only thing is that there's no equivalent to the Q2000ci in this Concept 20 series, however there's no reason why you couldn't just use a single speaker as a centre. Arguably, it's better to actually use the same speaker across the front L/C/R so you might be better off that way.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sebastien72

sebastien72 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What about matching this with a sub Q7000s for a 5.1?
    Anyone could comment on that?
    cheers
  11. Jason Bailey

Jason Bailey New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a question maybe someone can answer.

Considering the closeness in price between the Concept 20 (with the necessary stands) and to 2050i, which speakers are the better buy?

Currently I run the 2010i in a 2.1 setup. Looking to upgrade these speakers. I haven't demoed anything yet but I guess my thoughts are the concept 20 would work well with my current sub for movies/music but with the 2050i I may have enough low down to remove the sub altogether.

This said, I know prevailing opinion is that stand mount speakers offer better quality for audio listening, just wondering whether the technology in the 2050i has brought their performance closer.