Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q Acoustics Concept 20 Standmount Speaker Review

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by The News Bot, Mar 30, 2013.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot News Supplying Robot Staff Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Reviewed by Ed Selley, 30th March 2013. If you put the effort into the rest of the system, the price of astounding transparency just got a whole lot cheaper.
    Read the full review...
  2. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk Member

Ratings:
    +175
    What Fink has done is apply a technique called contrained-layer damping - two layers (usually of different thicknesses if of the same material...) with a viscous material in-between that damps vibration of the panels. It's not a novel engineering technique, although I'm not sure of any other speakers specifically that use it.

I like the column design of the speaker stands. A very attractive pairing with the speakers - Q Acoustic's aesthetics are simple but well-considered. With sound to match I should think these will prove popular.
  3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,943
    Even if we ignore the specifics, I'm unaware of another £350 speaker with a cabinet of remotely similar construction which would make the Concept 20 unusual even if the practise was common at higher price points.
  4. couto27

couto27 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Nice review @ed selley

Has owner of Q7000 5.1 + Onkyo 609 and very happy with both, im thinking to get one pair of the Qconcept 20 speakers , and later upgrade to 5.1 when a center speaker and subwoofer came out (if they come out).

1- would the Onkyo 609 be enough to take enough "juice" and drive this speakers in 5.1 for cinema/music ?
    2- or what av receiver would match well with concept 20 ?
    onkyo 818
    pionner lx-56
    onkyo (2013)
    yamahas (2013)

3-Would i see considerable upgrade in sound quality price/performace over the Q7000 using option (1) or (2) ?

I also have a Rotel RA-11 with B&W685 in stereo mode, but i dont like the match with Rotel + Onkyo to upgrade the b&w to 5.1.

Regards
  5. aliflack

aliflack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm intrigued to see if QAcoustics offer a 5.1 set of these...or if not, how well they'd integrate with their existing 2000 and 7000 series :rolleyes:
  6. speedalini

speedalini Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will these speakers fit on the older 2000 series stands, or is the new bespoke version required?
  7. jas99

jas99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi i would just like to ask as the epic 1 was used for comparison and sounded a bit confused in the midrange, and you stated that the epic 5 was one of your favorite speakers, does it suffer the same lack of clarity as the epic 1.
  8. fswift

fswift Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is anyone using these as part of a 5.1?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts
  9. sergiup

sergiup Active Member

Ratings:
    +586
    There's no reason for them not to work as a 5.0 set, the only thing is that there's no equivalent to the Q2000ci in this Concept 20 series, however there's no reason why you couldn't just use a single speaker as a centre. Arguably, it's better to actually use the same speaker across the front L/C/R so you might be better off that way.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sebastien72

sebastien72 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What about matching this with a sub Q7000s for a 5.1?
    Anyone could comment on that?
    cheers
  11. Jason Bailey

Jason Bailey New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a question maybe someone can answer.

Considering the closeness in price between the Concept 20 (with the necessary stands) and to 2050i, which speakers are the better buy?

Currently I run the 2010i in a 2.1 setup. Looking to upgrade these speakers. I haven't demoed anything yet but I guess my thoughts are the concept 20 would work well with my current sub for movies/music but with the 2050i I may have enough low down to remove the sub altogether.

This said, I know prevailing opinion is that stand mount speakers offer better quality for audio listening, just wondering whether the technology in the 2050i has brought their performance closer.
  12. Zakblue

Zakblue Member

Ratings:
    +2
    These are fantastic speakers. I have spent a good week listening to them (I am on holidays with no shortage of time). Its important that you have them setup well. Good distance apart and a decent 30cms from a wall behind. They seem to be less fussy than other speakers I own in placement distance from a wall though.
    I am using them as computer speakers sitting on the desk in front of me. They do, however sound better sitting on some dedicated stands with a greater distance apart and listening from further away.
    Out of the box they sounded clear from the mids to highs but very bass light. I think they are starting to open up in the bass, but it's also probably my ears getting used to them.
    This is where I think they need to be on stands and not on a desk in front of you, because the bass NEEDS to be in it's best case scenario.
    The quality of bass though is very good.
    Anyway, these are just my thoughts so far.
    The cabinets and build quality is great.
    Such a great price and 5 year warranty - I really don't think you can go wrong with these.
  13. LostIn

LostIn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree - these are fantastic speakers. I've owned a pair for about 3 months and I cannot fault them.

For me the best placement is as Q Acoustics suggest - an equilateral triangle with speakers toed in a little.
  14. gllp

gllp Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I also thought they were very bass light when I first fired them up but the more I listened the more I realised the bass is actually just very well controlled and balanced and not exaggerated or boomy, which is a common experience I've had with other similar priced bookshelf speakers. Now that my concept 20's are fully run though the bass is surprisingly powerful and dynamic for such a small speaker and they play loud without losing their composure. I think their bass is one of the best things about them.