Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PX80 42" : A couple of observations!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Paul Cooksley, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Hi all

Just picked up this tv last week, from Currys:-

Just a couple of things I wanted to ask, one of them is really daft, but I'll start off by asking:-

This tv, to my eyes, produces a really, really good SD Freeview image - I was pleasantly surprised. The only thing is, is that I notice that the whole image sometimes looks a little "dull" - I am running it on "normal" mode (yes, I know it should be Cinema mode for the first couple of hundred hours but this, to me, seems alittle too dark).... Films seem ok, but video based programmes, such as soaps etc do seem a little bit dim looking....

Presumably, for a plasma, this is normal? (I am sure I am correct in saying LCD would generally be brighter - but of course, this doesn't mean it's a better picture - far from it judging from some LCD's I have seen!!) I had a quick look in a tv showroom today and a far more expensive Pioneer seemed to give a bit of a "dull" looking image (not sure of course what settings picture wise it was on) ... but as I say, presumably this is normal? I have come from a Sony 32" CRT (four years old) which I guess would generally look "brighter"?

So maybe I just need to get used to the new set!

The other thing is (and this is the stupid bit) - this is probably just my eyes, but if, whilst watching the tv, I quickly glance at difference specific areas of the picture or indeed look away quickly, I sometimes seem to notice some sort of yellow/green trails - only very quick and only happens when I move my eyes!!!!!!!!!

Is this my eyes (probably!) or has anyone else noticed this???!!

Any help really appreciated!
  2. Eiji

Eiji Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Both issues you mentioned, the dullness and green trails are inherent to Plasma TVs so no, you aren't going bonkers :thumbsup:

Here is an article about the green trails:

What's That Green Trail On My Plasma?
  3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +519
    What have you got the contrast set to??

Mine is around 75-80%, and I am also using NORMAL, cinema is fine for decent HD material but looks completely washed out with the freeview.

I wouldn't worry about running it in, just set it up how you like it and enjoy it.
  4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    I think I have set the contrast pretty much the same as you (on Normal setting) ...

Don't get me wrong - it's not that bad at all, but I guess, coming from a CRT (which I guess is naturally brighter) I've got to get used to it!!!!!
  5. dtox2008

dtox2008 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    put the settings up a bit I would.
    try that.
  6. late8

late8 Member

Ratings:
    +82
    I use these settings for normal TV viewing via RGB Scart Humax Freeview Box-these settings give a fantastic all round pic day and night for me. Settings can differ depending on the input device and even room brightness so take them as a guide.........

Mode: NORMAL (Set everything to 0)
    Contrast 40 clicks up from 0
    Brightness 32
    Colour 28
    Sharpness 3/4
    Colour Balance: Normal

Mine for HD Calibrated from a Sony Bluray S350
    DVD and Bluray watching (1080p/720p)...

Mode: CINEMA
    Contrast 40 clicks up from 0
    Brightness 32
    Colour 31
    Sharpness 4+
    Colour Balance: Normal
  7. xit2050

xit2050 Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    :eek:
  8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +519
    What??

At 80% you can clearly see that 100ire is proper white and 97ire is slightly darker.
    Drop it lower than that and the whole image becomes too dull and over saturated as well.

It is still no brighter than my calibrated PF11.
  9. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani Member

Ratings:
    +101
    i find higher contrast on HD sources works well. you can set up each picture option for different sources, you won't find one single set-up that works with HD, freeview and DVD.