1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pure Sensia

Discussion in 'DAB Digital Radio & FM Radio' started by mwjdavies, Sep 19, 2009.

1. bigfelly

bigfelly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for a question that may be obvious to the seasoned DAB/Internet radio world but I am a complete virgin to this world. I am very interested in the Sensia but it has to do certain things for it to be worthwhile.

The scenario is that I have my wireless router in the living room and my wireless is good enough for me to take my laptop to the bedroom and still use the wireless. I often listen to football (Scottish for my sins) on the laptop but would far rather listen to the internet radio from something like this Sensia. I note that other posters refer to "the lounge", for the avoidance of doubt, can the Sensia connect to BBC Radio's internet broadcasts? If I buy this I want to go through and listen to the football game that I would normally click to listen to on the laptop. If the BBC Radio Scotland's live football streams are not available, I will not buy this product.

Thanks in advance folks. :)
  2. gonesouth

gonesouth Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Bigfelly if there is an internet stream then you can hear it. I gather you are in England? I am in the same position but in my case the egg chasing rather than the round type. many of the broadcasts i want to listen to are MW only. In this case they are not streamed on the internet. BBC Scotland is available in "the Lounge" as are the listen again to Off the Ball etc. Set them up as your favourites in the lounge and then you don't need to go searching for them, which can be a bit cumbersome on the Sensia.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. bigfelly

bigfelly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks gonesouth, that is exactly the answer I wanted to hear. Again, apologise if it was an obvious question, I just wondered if I had understood incorrectly that it was "the Lounge" only streams and they were in some way limited.
  4. gonesouth

gonesouth Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Not obvious at all and no problem providing any other user info as needed. It really is a good bit of kit, once you get round the "Pure" features.
  5. duffbeerdrinker

duffbeerdrinker Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Really interested in one of these. The main thing that I need to know is when streaming MP3 tracks from my PC can it play them in a random order?
  6. gonesouth

gonesouth Member

Ratings:
    +3
    No, playing in random order does not currently exist. Playing anything other than the order it is saved in doesn't exist either - the options you get via the pure flow server are all songs, artists, albums, genre, playlists.
    So for example if I go into All Songs it list all the A's first. If I flick through the list to say F, then all the F's would play - I have not found a way to alter this the running order.

I suppose you could make up a playlist that randomly regenerates on every boot but I don't know if that would work.
  7. duffbeerdrinker

duffbeerdrinker Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks for answering my question gonesouth.

I decided to go for the Sensia anyway. Great sound, really easy to set up and get internet radio stations working.
    As for streaming MP3s from my PC.........impossible!
    I want to stream from WMP because I hate installing extra applications. I have enabled media sharing and set it to allow all devices in the home network but no joy.

Please can someone offer me some advice?
  8. gonesouth

gonesouth Member

Ratings:
    +3
    See post #82.
  9. duffbeerdrinker

duffbeerdrinker Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks, but you have missed the point a little.

I do not want to stream with the FlowServer software and I do not have a mac. I am trying to do it with Windows Media Player but I cannot get it to display the contents of the Music folder, it only displays the folder itself.
  10. naysters

naysters Member

Ratings:
    +0
    first post, so forgive my ignorance: may be a silly question, but must home wifi network linked laptop with music files be switched on in order to stream tunes to pure sensia or will it work with computer switched off?
  11. Che Grimandi

Che Grimandi Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am trying to stream media from my Synology NAS server.

My sensia finds the server and my tracks appear and I am able to play them fine.

However, whenever I try to use the Sensia's search function and search by Artist/Album/Song I get a message saying that the media server cannot be found.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks
  12. innfreds

innfreds Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem, and I found no ways to solve it.
    Using the latest firmware or changing the NAS' language changed nothing. I cannot search for music :mad:.
    In addition, either the Sensia or the DS411J are not 100% DNLA compatible because it is almost impossible to stream videos, and very difficult to see pictures from Photo Station.
    I assume the Sensia and the DS411J could be seen as "compatible", but not really "friends" !!
  13. chappomcc

chappomcc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i am just about to order one of these but just wanted to ask a couple of questions first.

Can anyone tell me has the latest firmware (2.4) has increased the response time and resolved all issues of the early firmware.

Also What is the battery life from the chargepak.

regards
  14. Mr X

Mr X Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    2.4 is best update so far and screen is now very responsive as well general performance.
  15. bazz2004

bazz2004 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If streaming of music files from a computer via the home network is buggy or doesn't work the amount of money being paid out for this beautiful looking "gadget" is criminal. That issue seems to be the Achilles heel of most of this genre of devices.
  16. nightwolf88

nightwolf88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about getting one of these. two questions:

1. How does the alarm function with the new firmware updates - can you set multiple alarms and pick the exact days of the week they go off. Like set a different alarm for each day..?

2. How does it function as a bed side radio clock - does the screen auto dim so its not too bright?

Cheers,
    NW
  17. joker_zero

joker_zero Member

Ratings:
    +2
    anyone tried with tversity?
  18. gonesouth

gonesouth Member

Ratings:
    +3
    1. No
    2. It can be dimmed or turned off and touched to illuminate. The lowest dimmed setting is still a little bright at first.

chappomcc

The chargepak lasts a long time, all day in the garden if I can remember back to the summer. It's best performance is with FM, followed by DAB, then internet radio and streaming. But more than meets my needs as I use it for a clock radio when not out and about.
  19. jeno2000

jeno2000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What file type are your audio files? I had a little bit of difficulty with this on my contour at first but this made it pretty clear and I re-encoded my music collection Supported formats and bit rates - Internet Radios & The Lounge - FAQ - PURE HelpCentre Helpdesk
  20. amarden

amarden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In case anyone doesn't know, there is a random play facility on the Sensia but it's really hard to find! Stumbled across it the other day:

Select the album or whatever you want to play.
    Select one track and it will start playing.
    Touch the icon in the top right of the window to maximise that window.
    Touch the screen and a triangle play icon will appear top right.
    Touch this and a set of player controls will appear.
    Second from the right is the familiar crossed over arrows in blue.
    Touch that to turn it white.

Subsequent tracks will now play in a random order.

Now that was obvious, wasn't it?!
  21. DrSpook

DrSpook Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a Pure Sensia for the kitchen as a dab/fm/internet radio/media streamer. I've has a quick play with one & find the UI easy to read & use and the sound quality ok for a device of its size.

Before i shell out over £200, i have a couple of questions:

1. has anyone got the pure sensia streaming from a synology NAS? I have a DS209 with DSM 3.0 (soon to be 3.1). If it's not going to work then I'll save my cash (...for another gadget probably).

2. the Sensia has been out almost 2 years now, so I'm wondering if it's in line for a refresh? IFA 2011 seems to be the most lilely event for annoucements, so i might have to wait til then.... (I'm curious what Revo are doing this year, i looked at the AXiS but found the screen and sound to be too small).

Thanks in advance :)

DrS
  22. wicket

wicket Member

Ratings:
    +10
    My sensia has just died I think when it got an update on Monday. It is stuck on the usb upgrade (revC) waiting for upgrade press power to exit screen. I originally tried to upgrade via wifi which it went off and did then I came back to see this message. So I hooked it up to the computer (Windows 7 32 bit) downloaded the upgrade followed the steps but then last screen asks you to use the onscreen Sensia upgrade buttons which I cannot do. It will not let me exit by pressing the power button and I have tried different usb cables.

Any ideas what else I can do?

thanks
  23. Jason Voice

Jason Voice Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Did you get this resolved wicket?

Instructions for recovery can be found here: 'Waiting for upgrade....' message - Internet Radios & The Lounge - FAQ - PURE HelpCentre Helpdesk
  24. wicket

wicket Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks, yes I did.

The problem was the product needed to be installed on the computer. The boxes were not coming up to say new hardware is being installed on the first computers I tried.

I then tried an older computer and waited until it said the hardware had been installed successfully then clicked next, it then went into the upgrading sequence which was a great relief.

On the other computers you clicked next from the 'connecting computer to Sensia' page and it just went to upgrade via usb using the Sensia screen which was inaccessible.

So relieved it is sorted as thought it had been bricked. :)
  25. Poopy

Poopy Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Maybe help to someone but argo are doing these at about £127 at the moment
  26. KPGills

KPGills Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I purchased a sensia dab radio today and was wondering if anyone can help with one question?

Is their any way to make the screen turn off when the radio is in sleep mode or the clock is displayed on the screen? The settings / display page has settings for display duration and shows a clock and a line - what do they mean? The same options are or the clock as well. Ive tried both icons but am
    not sure what the difference is!

Also is their a way to have the clock dismayed on the screen and the radio playing?

Sorry but the manual is useless!

Thanks alot,

Keith
  27. gonesouth

gonesouth Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The latest software update has a low power option on turn off which blanks the screen, but keeps alarm function available. Don't know the latest software version as away from my Sensia at the moment.

EDIT:
    software version is 4.0
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  28. AIDSY

AIDSY Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi poopy
    just reserved mine with argos 5 mins ago, all my local stores are sold out, just one left and iam getting it 2morrow...

thanks again

aidsy
  29. AIDSY

AIDSY Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up my NEW sensia from argos at £127 , last one in store , got it opened to find it was allready had been opened and used, it was plain to see that it had been use batts in romote , manual was folded and writing on it , power cord was wrapped up, but the radio it self looked new , so i pluged it in .. s/w 1.4 was there, i cant update it to v4 , ive tried 2 different usb cables... screen just says "waiting for upgrade" what am i doing wrong?

just updated to v4 via wifi, wow , looks so much different
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  30. zorgon

zorgon Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Got one yesterday, done a price match in John Lewis. £127.99 :smashin:

Streams OK via the Pure Twonkyserver client, however the alarm functionality sucks, my pure siesta allows 2 alarms indedpendent and programmable to days of week etc, this has 1 basic on/off alarm. It might have all the bells and whistles but it should be able to do the basics, :thumbsdow
    come on Pure fix this with the next firmware!