1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pure Sensia

Discussion in 'DAB Digital Radio & FM Radio' started by mwjdavies, Sep 19, 2009.

1. DDmouse

DDmouse Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Ref Elderly parents.
    Not sure how uptodate your parents are but the interface is touch screen, sliding menus around, scrolling lists etc, a la iPhone.
    Fine for my techy head but simple changes like volume require sliding fingers on the screen. I certainly wouldn't get one for my grandparents (even though they are 90 and on Skype, Sky+, dvd recorders, hi def etc!).
    Also as stated before the FM reception seems very poor, not an issue fo rme but would be for them I expect.
  2. medicalgiant

medicalgiant Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I must say, it doesn't seem to be getting any good reviews, instead they're downright disappointing.

Amazon.co.uk: J. Gooch "snorestore"'s review of Pure Sensia Digital Audio System with Wi-F...

Amazon.co.uk: B. Daisley "Bruce"'s review of Pure Sensia Digital Audio System with Wi-F...

I think I know where they're going wrong. They're creating these concepts, and it's at that point it falls flat on its face as they don't seem to be able to find anyone that actually tells them what they want in a Radio.

Being someone that's tried to tell pure what I want in a radio and receiving absolutely NO FEEDBACK. I get the feeling they've got this idea and they'll go ahead with it, if you buy it ok.... If you don't well we'll just blame the lack of sales on software piracy, or state of the economy or something!

They should of course avoid looking towards themselves for someone to blame for producing a product that doesn't service the part of the market they're aiming at, neither does it service the part of the market that would be impressed with it, IF it had features they wanted. As it doesn't, it looks like its not going to end well.

Lets hope things pick up, or they figure out what they need to do to solve the problem.
  3. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +311
    This is such a shame. My initial interest after seeing one of these demonstrated has certainly dampened. I cannot feel that a software upgrade here and there is going to change very much. I would have expected that the FM reception should have been better. Most of us are going to rely on it for some time to come. I do accept that internet radio is always going to be a bit on the 'clunky' side. If I use 'The Lounge' on my PC it seems to be no worse than other interface programmes. That's the nature of the internet.

I have not heard any comments on its ability to stream stuff from a PC. How easy is that to set-up and run?

The control system did appear, when I saw it, to be a bit sluggish and needs a great deal of improvement. It's a pity that the bigg'ish' screen is not taken more advantage of. I would have welcomed a link with BBC iplayer, which cannot be all that difficult to achieve.

To release a product that still appears to be in development to such an extent that advertised features do no exist is really bad business. The Sensia should have a lot going for it. To a 'radio nut' like me it seems like the holy grail has yet to be found. Back to the drawing board!.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  4. DDmouse

DDmouse Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I think some of the reviews are a bit harsh! If Twitter and Facebook Apps are why you want a radio, personally I'd say get a life, not a Sensia! (or an iPhone).
    Music streaming is easy, DAB is good and internet radio covers all the stations and podcasts I want. All in a good looking, battery option, unit.
    On the negative FM tuner is rubbish (not an issue for me) and the menu scrolling could be slicker.
    I'm keeping mine.
  5. Neil294

Neil294 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I've been playing with mine for the last few nights now and am quite happy with the radio. I downloaded patch 1.3 last night and this seems to have helped the touch interface. Mine is working very well and is easy to use, whether scrolling through the Lounge stations or the wi-fi stations available generically. I've not tested out the FM signal, but don't need to having been lucky enough to have 100% DAB signal which covers all of the stations I want to listen to just at the moment.

I attempted to set up the music streaming last night, but without consulting the instructions. Unsurprisingly, this didn’t really work, so I will endeavour to RTFM over the weekend. I was able to see my laptop, and the music files it contained, but was unable to play anything. I seem to remember that I might have to create a playlist or something similar, but I’m sure the instructions will tell me.

The screen is poorly utilised at present, though it was a surprise to see images from the Absolute webcam streamed onto the radio while Geoff Lloyd was on air. It’s possible to expand the small image window to be full screen, but the screen resolution wasn’t great at this point.
    I’m disappointed that the promised apps are absent, but they are added bonuses rather than deal breakers for me. I’ll be sticking with mine anyway.

Neil
  6. Paul Walton

Paul Walton Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got V1.3 running and it's given us Twitter app the app works well, sadly with this upgrade the Weather app has gone. Please Pure give us the weather app back it worked well.
  7. adrianmurray

adrianmurray Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well an FM radio with good FM reception would be a good base to build on. They shouldn´t need a focus group to tell them that.
  8. rhainman

rhainman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the sensia because the bose system with dab wont let you use the dab as an alarm £600 for the pleasure! So the first thing I checked with the sensia was the alarm I dont know wether I am being a bit stupid but it looks as though if you have the radio on sleep the volume which you have it at is the volume which the alarm is set at which means you cant listen to it very quietly when in bead for fear it is too quiet to wake you in the morning (am I being stupid here if so help me out). The dab signal I find good as have had a lot of issues with car dab signals. The podcast feature isnt that straight forward and controls are slow on the sensia. The sound isnt bad which is probably a compliment seen as I have replaced a bose system with it. The apps or lack of is dire its like buying a tv and then waiting for them to broadcast some channels. I do like it but the volume issue and lack of multiple alarms are issues oh forgot to say it often loses wifi connection as well deciding wether to keep it
  9. shropsboy

shropsboy Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Has anybody been able to find out how much power the Sensia uses when on and in standby? I can not seem to find it anywhere on the web or on the literature that came with it.
  10. MIKE TK

MIKE TK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking of buying one, but on Amazon at the moment it says 2-5 months delivery.Have Pure recalled the units due to issues?
  11. silviogo

silviogo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Just two questions about this "radio":

- I've see on specs that it have built in DAB reciver, and it's compatible with DAB+ standard...but the DAB+ feature is still active or need to be wait a software update?
    Here in Italy DAB radio are migrating on DAB+ standrad so i'm interested on it.

- What about the IPOD docking station? With the docking station that they sell is possible to control the IPOD directly from the screen of sensia?

Thanks a lot for your answer!
  12. I-Spy

I-Spy Member

Ratings:
    +15
    the weather app is still there you need to vertically slide the twitter page down and the weather page will appear.
  13. gkinghrn

gkinghrn Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Finally got the Photo show to work but only with their Flowserver software - not WMP or Tversity so now I have a 3rd streamer on my server ..lol

I like mine but I am disappointed with it in a few area's - touch screen looks nice but performance is still poor ... FM reception awful ..but again not an issue for me..

Media streaming (music files) works well but can be sloowww to start..

All in all it just needs a few more apps - Twitter and FB I dont want on it ..bit not sure i do KNOW what I want on a radio... Would like to show my photos tho as a slideshow..

6/10 so far...
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  14. Mr X

Mr X Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    Downloaded 1.5 yesterday. Has made my touchscreen very sluggish compared to 1.4. It's given me Facebook though which would never use.
  15. Shakey21

Shakey21 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I was initially interested in this, I've been holding off buying a digital redio for some time but this is a missed opportunity. If this had allowed you to stream iplayer/you tube and had some kind of record function I'd have ought this like a shot but as it is without video and record then it has moved nothing forward, it has added a few gimmicks that I can do on my iphone easier and better. It also sounds like the whole interface is overly complicated and thewy need to go back to the drawing board.

This is a typical example of another British company run by an engineer who is more worried about getting soemthing out there than people actually wanting to buy it. The final thing that put me off was a friend bought one as soon as he could and took it back after a week as it was just a bit too complicated for the casual user, which seems to echo what a lot of people are saying.
  16. darex

darex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Can the backlight be regulated to levels that would be acceptably dim for use bedside?
  17. davewid

davewid Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,
    first night I had the sensia it drove me and the wife mad, just too bright.
    Press the settings button then display. Gives the option to set the brightness but also a timed switch off of the display. To see the time then just touch the screen.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. darex

darex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Is the mains adapter of the type that's an in-line power brick along the cord, like many laptops use, with a country-specific plug/cord that plugs into the opposite end of the power brick, or is it the type where the adapter itself plugs right into the wall socket?

OR, my real question: does the Sensia come with interchangeable tips for use in different countries (Continental Europe, North America, Australia, etc...), or just a fixed UK-type grounded plug on the adapter, the way I believe many previous Pure radios have been furnished?

I know that the adapter itself is an auto-switching 220V/110V type, so worst case scenario, I'll just need a prong-adapter (UK -> USA), which I already have.

I did a search for an "unboxing" of the Sensia, or at least a non-"stock" photo of the unit, showing the cord, but I can't find one, amazingly.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  19. 8_ACE

8_ACE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya. With regards to power adaptors, Pure have different versions of most of their products for different countries. The Sensia power supply has the mains adaptor at the plug/wall end. The version sold in the UK and Europre has interchangeable 3-pin and 2-pin ends. The version sold in Australia has fixed 2-pin. Hope that helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. patricepnc

patricepnc Member

Ratings:
    +1
    first, on the power adapters, the mine ordered through amazon uk had both UK, US and Euro plugs. great for a mobile device.

I have been playing with the sensia over the last 2 to 3 days, so these are first glance impressions. Yes, this pure has the waoh factor when unpacking it, and fit and finish is very fine.

I did not read the operating manual, but found it very easy to navigate and make use of almost all features, including finding alarm and settings. Connection to wifi was piece of cake, so did internet radio search. DAB worked well. I havent tried FM radio, havent ordered such device for.

Overall, found it quite easy to use the device, likewise the iphone. The screen is large with nice resolution and colours, and keyboard quite confy to enter data. Found it sometimes slow to interact,notably with the applications. I also had some difficulties in finding tweeter and wheather, untill i tried to vertically scroll !

Audio quality is very fine, but dont expect hifi. Great feature also is the possibility to access podcasts, you can add your podcast, however, this is a manual request and need to be processed by the lounge "team" unfortunalty. Havent not tried media streaming and iphone yet.

TO sum-up, so far, this is a very nice geek internet radio with enhanced internet features such as weather, decent sound and great iphone-like interactivity. But still, it is only a clock-alarm-radio, and slightly expensive for what you get. However, given the many additional features compared to other models, give it a try ! And price differential with mono speaker models is not dramatic !
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Mr X

Mr X Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    A very good post a d a very similar experience here.

The only issue I seem to be having is it is now not finding my Mac under media server?

It did work previously but not sure if it was killed by software upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5 or the recent bonjour upgrade that Apple released. Anyone else suffering from this? Thanks
  22. jlb

jlb Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have had one for 24 hours - what a wonderful toy :)

No problems with set up -- only silly thing was trying to find the serial number when connecting the radio to the lounge. Eventually found it printed on the packaging.

Good dab reception. Love "the lounge". The only let down was a message "station not available" during a listen again from the BBC. Now that would be most annoying during the Afternoon Play. I have a slow internet connection, so I don't know whether the problem arises from that or whether the BBC servers were under some pressure.

I find the touch screen easy to use. It can be dimmed for night-time use. The sound is good and can be set at varying low levels for night-time listening.

I was finally lulled to sleep by a "Pure sound" -- so I am very pleased.

I want another one for the kitchen now !
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. TRFCbazza

TRFCbazza Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for all the great tips. I am seriously considering buying one of these. Did start off thinking of O2 Joggler, but iPod/itunes compatability killed that idea. Also I'm very intersted in the Sony Dash, but would have to wait quite a while for a UK version.
    Just a couple of queries..

1) Streaming AAC files from my pc - how easy is this to set up? I guess I have to enable the folder to be shared on my pc and that there's no itunes app.

2) The thing that attracted me to the Joggler was the ability to set up different callendars (the Chumby does this too) any sign of an app to do this on the Sensia?
  24. 8_ACE

8_ACE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You have to install a uPnP media server on your PC to stream music and pictures to the Sensia. Pure provide their own (rebadged Twonky server) for free download once you regestered your radio on their Lounge website
  25. jlb

jlb Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am still very pleased with the Sensia. One problem I have found is that Listen Again or Podcasts cut out after a while. If I switch the Sensia off and then on again, whatever programme I have chosen starts off again from the beginning. I suspect that the Sensia does not have sufficient buffer to cope.

I have tried listening to the same programme (via the Lounge) using a laptop and the laptop copes with the broadcast/stream or whatever you call it over the internet.

The Sensia is in full sight of the router with 94-100% signal. I have emailed Pure about this and I received an auto reply, saying that I would receive an answer within 48 hours, but I did not.

Just another silly thing, the small shiny remote is rather like a slippery bar of soap - it has slipped out of my hand a few times !
  26. darex

darex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Another little bug I noted (I think?).

Sometimes when the alarm goes off, you get the "snooze" option displayed on the screen. Other times, you don't, and have to touch the button on top to stop an alarm, which also turns EVERYTHING back on (incl. the radio to whatever was last playing).

This may be a difference between when the display is set to turn off on stand-by, versus when it's set to remain on on stand-by. Not sure yet. It's either deliberate, or a bug. I was living with the screen off on stand-by for a time, but now I have it on, just very dim.

I have noticed that some stations time out frequently in internet radio mode (lounge), but not always, and some stations never seem to. I think all radios occasionally drop station feeds. Not sure yet if the Sensia is worse than usual or not.

Overall, pretty happy with it. It's very well thought-out.
  27. darex

darex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Same here. Neither's location ever changes, yet the signal strength does! No matter. As long as it's over 90%, I'm happy.

I have an excellent router too.
  28. jlb

jlb Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have now received a reply to my email regarding listen again and podcast failures, and the suggestion is that I should try a factory reset.

EDIT: This worked :)

EDIT AGAIN: But only for a while :-(

In fact, the Sensia is beginning to really annoy me as I've just had to reset it again, after interface failure, which means losing the network settings and DAB favourites. Think that this machine may be returned.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  29. Mr X

Mr X Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    Just downloaded 1.6 this morning. Haven't noticed any major changes but the Sensia does seem a little bit more responsive :thumbsup:
  30. jlb

jlb Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I've still got my Sensia. It's not annoyed me for quite a while now !

Updated to 1.6 yesterday - seems fine and more responsive.