Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PT AE700E and Pal Xbox (modded) display prob

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Fatbob1080, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi, I just thought id create a separate topic for this as i dont think its too relevant to keep posting in the Panasonic PT-AE700 Reviews topic.

Basically, ive got my chipped (with Xecuter 2 chip) pal xbox connected to my PT AE700E via 1m 75ohm resistance gold plated component leads and official Microsoft High Definition AV Pack. (Chipped to enable progressive scan as by default pal xboxes only run in interlaced mode). Problem is that when displaying in 525p progressive scan mode (films and most games run in this mode when progressive scan is enabled), there are very visible vertical bars all the way along the image, although interlaced and 750p displays fine.

http://www.webthingy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/image1.jpg

No amount of tweaking of picture settings or flicker adj will rectify this. At first i thought it was a Vertical Banding issue but upon further investigation looked more like an xbox fault. However, a friend has also got the same model projector and an xbox with the same chip hooked up to his projector with the same brand of cables and he is getting the same problem. Also, tried different cables and a 3rd party HD Pack but result is the same (but with lower quality picture). My friend has also tried a different source (DVD player) using the same component cables and had no problems there.

Im wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems or has a similar setup they could test. It could be a certain model of xbox or mod chip that has this problem as different revisions of xbox use different video chipsets apparently so manufacturer dates of working xboxes would be handy! Hopefully in the next week i'll be able to try 2 different xboxes with the projector to see what happens but any extra info would be useful, thanks!
  2. rogeralpine

rogeralpine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like some sort of interference - does the lead have composite connectors as well?

My non-microsoft HD pack suffers from interference if I leave the composite lead is, even though I've switched to component out.

Just a thought.
  3. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi, thanks for the reply. The official av pack is component only. The 3rd party pack that gives the lower quality image has other connections on there including composite. I get the vertical bands with that pack aswell but also severe ghosting which is why i replaced it! Any more suggestions are greatly welcomed :)
  4. Darwock

Darwock Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to add to this that I have the same situation.. again it only appears in 525p. Did anybody try VGA output as an alternative?
  5. Darwock

Darwock Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. Is anybody expecting an AE700 from the next batch planning to use it with a modded xbox? If so could you keep us updated with the results?

If this complaint is common to them all then fair enough, but if it's just some of them then I'd want to return mine for a replacement.
  6. leedavies

leedavies Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I get the same effect from my Crystal Xbox when feeding an NTSC component signal out of my console via the official hi-def pack. But... it only appears on my Hitachi plasma, my Infocus 5700 projector is not affected.

And... it only happens if I feed the video through an AVTool 1:4 component video distribution box. Switching back to PAL output from the Xbox, or removing the component distribution box fixes it.

Very strange. I'm starting to think it's something to do with the Xbox video output when modded, as no other devices (e.g. Sky+, DVD) do it.
  7. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    On the forums on hdtvarcade.com theres a thread about this problem appearing every couple of days. Mainly owners of samsung tvs. Dont know if the tv is the problem, or a component in the xbox tho but theyre mainly using unmodded american consoles over there. Hopefully someone there will contact microsoft and find out if its an xbox or tv thing (I cant really contact them as my console is modded). Will keep researching. Found no solution so far tho....

Example thread:
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/viewtopic.php?t=910
  8. Daithi

Daithi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This may be an Xbox problem. I used a Pal xbox connected with component to my ae100 and had similar banding (except mine were pink and green), had to resort to svideo. Anyway Xbox failed on me one day so sent it in for repairs. They replaced the motherboard and when I got it back there was no more banding using component.
    My chipped PAL box in NTSC mode was always fine.
  9. Darwock

Darwock Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Daithi, your original box.. was it chipped? Because myself and bob only get this on the 480p signal, which an unmodded xbox can't do obviously. Yet I'd be surprised if you sent in a chipped box for repair...
  10. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well Ive finished messing with my xbox and AE700, I am supremely impressed, dvd playback is crystal clear, DIVX is pretty good and games are great. I have no VB whatsoever (will check production date asap). I have got the gamester pack connected at the moment and I get the same ghosting mentioned above, however I can minimise it to nearly nothing in all but AVAlaunch and XBMC. I am looking at testing an official pack next (if I can find one cheaply), a friend has the X2VGA which Im interested in, that looks to rival component definitely.

Will keep you updated.
  11. windfall

windfall Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I get the same thing - only happens when I allow more than 480p in the MS dashboard. I notice if I only enable 480p then I dont get these bars.

Wish I had kept my orig NTSC xbox now!

Tone